G-Shock's Durability in Question....

Thread: G-Shock's Durability in Question....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

G-Shock's Durability in Question....

Hmm, I've been a big fan of G-Shock's for a while (since the '99 collection when I first heard of them, at 9yrs old).

In the '99 catalog, they showed the composition of one of their watches, and it looked pretty nice and very durable. But I still have to question this...is the watch really that tough if it's still made of plastic? I know it's shock resistant, etc, but just how durable can a plastic case be?

Maybe the head will survive, but will the watch be worth anything if the class is shattered and the case is cracked?

I wear my watches 24/7. Literally. Shower, running, sleep, no matter what. So they take a beating.

Now I will say that my G-Shock and my Baby-G have never been damaged much, but they still picked up numerous scratches, paint chippings, etc. I wound up switching a few years back to a nice Swiss Army watch when my Uncle got me one. I decided to keep it because it was so much smaller than either of my G's. Loved that watch. But the screen got a big scratch in it after about 6 months, then the battery died at least a year later. I was bothered by that, but wound up going for a Skagen. Now that watch was a amazing. I wore it for 2 years straight. Was not until someone ran into my arm and got caught that the band came off, but the watch held up, no scratches, no marks, nothing, not even where the band was attached did the latches get marked up. This was a titanium watch not much more expensive than an average G, if not cheaper, and much smaller in size. And in spite of the damage being my fault and to an "accessory," Skagen still wound up repairing it for me with only a shipping charge, over 2 years after purchase.

So, both my Gs have dead batteries now. I know they can be changed, but lately I've been wearing my Casio STR-200. Says "tough solar" on it and is pretty big, but I guess it's not G-Shock certified. I'm using this one over my Skagen because I'm running, but still the plastic is terribly marked up, not to mention the white rubber band is discolored entirely, almost a yellow-ish color.

So now I've got an Oakley D1 in the mail and I plan to see how other plastic digital watches hold up.

So what are your experiences with plastic and metal watches? I know G-Shock has made a couple metal watches, anyone share their experiences with those? Still not mind getting a scratches plastic watch as opposed to a heavy but durable metal watch? (note: titanium on my skagen was lighter than most smaller sized plastic watches).

Re: G-Shock's Durability in Question....

The resin bezel is replaceable and protects the movement and crystal very well. The fact it can get scratched is neither here nor there to me. The beauty of G-Shocks for me is they can go through all kinds of hell and still function (surely the most important thing). I'm not aware of many metal non G-Shock watches that are likely to still be working after a 10 metre drop - at least not in that price range. I think you're maybe misunderstanding the way in which G-Shocks are tough. The resin ones aren't marketed as scuff-proof, just hard to break (resin absorbs shock better than metal).

Maybe the head will survive, but will the watch be worth anything if the class is shattered and the case is cracked?
    I've never seen or heard of a G-Shock case cracking or the crystal being shattered unless it's been subjected to some kind of torture test. If you're referring to the resin bezels deteriorating, that's to be expected after 10 - 20 years. The crystal on most G-Shocks is extremely well protected by the bezel, and is made from tough mineral glass.

As for my own experience, I wear resin G-Shocks almost exclusively, and non of them have any visible marks or scratches yet.

So, are G-Shocks durable? I'd say definately yes. Will they still look flawless and pretty after being scraped along a wall? No, probably not. I don't think looking pretty after years of hard use was part of the plan.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Off Topic post Re: G-Shock vs. Skagen

In my experience, Skagen watches are pure junk - the crystals scratch easily, the batteries die quickly, the clasps are lousy, etc.

I began buying G-Shocks because I was thoroughly disgusted with Skagen and other economical watch brands.

As far as Oakley, I have never owned one of their watches. However, I have owned Oakley sunglasses and I wasn't impressed. In my opinion, Maui Jim sunglasses are far better than Oakley sunglassses in every way.

Unquestionably, G-Shocks (resin and metal) are far more durable than any other economical watch brand that I know of.

G-Shocks are not meant to be treated like dolls in dollhouses, and they do not need to be treated as such. However, you admit that you are hard on watches. If you abuse any watch (metal or resin, G-Shock or not G-Shock), then the watch will show signs of wear and tear eventually - that is just plain common sense.

Well, there's durable and then there's G-Shock durable. If you haven't done so already check out the Sticky: G-Shock Tough Test Videos by Buzzbait (in the Articles section). Even I was amazed at just how tough a G-Shock, including the resin case, can be, even after being smacked edge on to the case with a metal hammer (all survived) or tied to a baseball bat and whacked - hard - against a lump of concrete. Excellent stuff! Yes, the final test did kill the watch (they're tough as tough can be, but not indesctrucible - and where there's a will, there's a way) However, the case was intact. My thanks to Buzzbait for conducting the tests - it was as a result of this that I bought my first G-Shock!
    Last edited by Barry H; October 20th, 2008 at 19:57.

Re: G-Shock vs. Skagen

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler View Post
    Unquestionably, G-Shocks (resin and metal) are far more durable than any other economical watch brand that I know of.

G-Shocks are not meant to be treated like dolls in dollhouses, and they do not need to be treated as such. However, you admit that you are hard on watches. If you abuse any watch (metal or resin, G-Shock or not G-Shock), then the watch will show signs of wear and tear eventually - that is just plain common sense.
    >> Spot on there mate!

And I've owned a D1 (and a couple of Oakley Timebombs too) nice easy to read display and cool design but they're all really just for show, nowhere near as tough, practical and functional as G-Shocks IMO.

Look at it like the 5600 series. Easily rebuilt. I like the G's because I can bang them around. I drive a truck and my left arm gets a lot of sun so the solars always stay charged well. I just love them and I think, with the 5600's at least, no worries about resin rot. Rebuild kits will be available for a long darn time. Best thing is that the G's don't have to look nice and can be developed to be tough. Recessed crystal is one of my favorite things. I smacked my Citizen 8700 against a door jam and took a chunk out of the crystal. Not likely to happen to a G. I also like when they show wear and tear, it means they are being used as they should be. Best thing you can do is just enjoy them, don't worry so much. Strap in and enjoy the ride, its a fun one here

the land of a million corrupt govt officials

How durable is a g-shock? I think G-shocks are made to be abused, and unless you really intent to kill it, it won't die.
    "Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in changing fortunes of time." -Max Ehrmann, 1929 Hidden Content

Hamilton: ETO | SWAT MultiTouch
    Citizen Minute Repeater BL9000
    Casio: G-Shock G-7710 | Wave Ceptor WVQ-200 | F-91W
    National Geographic Mega Diver 1000m
    Artron Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Lexxorcist View Post
    So, are G-Shocks durable? I'd say definately yes. Will they still look flawless and pretty after being scraped along a wall? No, probably not. I don't think looking pretty after years of hard use was part of the plan.

my point exactly.

GW2000B-1A
    GW-9200 'Dragon' Riseman
    DW-5600E-1V
    AWG 101-1A
    Seiko SNZG13K1

The buzzbait tests, The tough team tests, and especially The spanish G-Commandos tests prove the durability. They ran over a g-9100 gulfman with a car, put it in a can and dragged behind a car for a few km, froze it, kicked it across the street. It kept ticking away and actually still looked like new.

Yeah, I'd agree with you guys on most points, but I'm not talking about killing the watch. I'm talking about the actual outer case. Some of you noted that wear and tear is normal, or that you liked it because it shows its taken a beating.

Well, that's cool, but I like to show some style in the watch I wear, considering I'm ALWAYS wearing it. With my skagen, before it broke, I always got compliments on it, and many people said "wow you've really had it for 2 years? it still looks new!" ...that'll never happen with a G-Shock. My first was a baby-g wear the cool green paint chipped off of the bezels in under a year, battery died in the predictable 2 years. My next was a full G-Shock that I got on clearance, but it was huge. It would hit into everything. It didn't show any severe signs of damage, but it showed it was worn. Battery died about 3 years I think though, maybe more though because I stopped using it before it died.

Oh well, thanks for your input guys, although I don't agree with everything you've all said, you've helped restore my faith in G-Shocks. We'll see how this Oakley D1 goes, I'm really not a fan of their sunglasses either and would get maui jims as well if I were to pay that much for shades, but the D1 got great reviews as a runner's watch, and I'm a runner, so I wanted to give it a try...plus I got it for such a great price, was hard to pass up.

If it doesn't work out, I'll probably go for a new G-Shock then...the October 2008 lineup actually looks pretty nice imo. Not a big fan of the colors, but pretty good designs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information