WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Give me compass, direction, a second hand and illuminate! Just released GA-1000 delivers it all

13K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  AirWatch 
#1 ·
Possibly even more groundbreaking than GD-350, is the February 21st release, one of a kind G aviator GA-1000. This one immediately grabbed my attention while browsing through February models a few weeks ago. See, I've been waiting for an ana-digi G with a second hand for many years and finally Casio delivers it in this big, easy-to-read package with an intriguingly cool "neon" lighting.

My first aviator arrived at my door earlier today and was unboxed this evening. Let's take a photo stroll through that unboxing.

A featherweight giant of a box from land of Godzilla

...Opened. What do we have here?!

Looks like the watch box has torn free of its immobilizing shrink wrap in transit

The glossy apparition of anticipation

Tightly wrapped Japanese manual box topper

Warm leatherette

Fun, fun, fun!

The closer you get...

...The funner it gets

And with the lights out...

The roof just blows...

Right off

We having...

Fun yet?

Just...

Making...

Sure

INTERNATIONAL

GA-1000-2A

TWIN SENSOR
This new model is the first in the Gravity Defier lineup to be equipped with digital compass capabilities, creating a watch that is perfectly matched to the needs of the modern aviator, both in terms of function and appearance. Pressing the 9 o'clock button in any mode immediately goes to the Digital Compass Mode, and a button at 8 o'clock returns to the mode you were in before the Digital Compass Mode. Continual direction readings can be taken for 20 seconds, during which the second hand points to north, a literal direction indicator is displayed in the upper display, and a direction angle value is displayed in the lower display. Bearing Memory lets you temporarily store and display a direction reading so you can use it as a reference as you take subsequent digital compass readings. Other features include temperature measurement, large numerals, and thick hands for easy reading. A coating on the tip of the second hand and minute markers reacts with the black light illumination of the watch for easy reading in the dark.

[Neon Illuminator (Blacklight LED)]
The ultraviolet LED offers safety corresponding to the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standard for Class 1M.
However, an optical lens such as a magnifying glass must not be used for direct viewing of the ultraviolet light source.
* The appearance of Neon Illuminator illumination depends the watch model.

COLOR VARIATIONS

• Shock Resistant
  • Mineral Glass / Spherical Glass
  • 200-meter water resistance
  • Case / bezel material: Resin / Stainless steel
  • Resin Band
  • Neon Illuminator (Black light LED)
    Auto light switch, selectable illumination duration, afterglow
  • Digital compass (NORTH)
    Hand indication of north (20 seconds continuous measurement)
    Measures and displays direction as one of 16 points
    Measuring range: 0 to 359°
    Measuring unit: 1°
    Bidirectional calibration
    Magnetic declination correction
    Bearing memory
  • Thermometer
    Display range: -10 to 60°C (14 to 140°F)
    Display unit: 0.1°C (2°F)
  • World time
    31 time zones (48 cities + coordinated universal time), city code display, daylight saving on/off
  • 1/100-second stopwatch
    Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99''
    Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
  • Countdown timer
    Measuring unit: 1 second
    Countdown range: 60 minutes
    Countdown start time setting range: 1 to 60 minutes (1-minute increments)
  • 5 daily alarms (with 1 snooze alarm)
  • Hourly time signal
  • Full auto-calendar (to year 2099)
  • 12/24-hour format
  • Button operation tone on/off
  • Regular timekeeping
    Analog: 3 hands (hour, minute (hand moves every 10 seconds), second)
    Digital: Hour, minute, second, pm, month, date, day
  • Accuracy: ±15 seconds per month
  • Approx. battery life: 2 years on SR927W × 2
  • Size of case/total weight: 50.8 X 52.1 X 16.6 mm/85 g
  • LED:Neon Illuminator (Blacklight LED)

© 2013 CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD.

See less See more
#11 ·
wow, what a light show!! cool compass and bearing functions…..i like that it has a lot of functions not included in the more expensive aviators…..BUT i just have to find a way to get over the sad frowny face
Yeah, I know, it's gonna be especially tough for you, eh, Vade? Have you checked your avatar lately, buddy? ;-)

Lovely pics! But i have to agree with Vade_R. Might spring for the black one as it doesn't contrast too much.
Why so squeamish, Doug? Be bold and brave, young man! Go white!

I can't decide whether Casio are serious with that light show.

Are they all multicoloured?

Hmmm I like the seemingly metal frame scheme (middle thumbnail) but I dunno. A little disappointed by the Fast n Furious light show.
The Count of Darkness is awaiting you in his castle.

Nice Airwatch! Hope you enjoy it! The features on it are very cool, and i enjoy the lights.

1. Considering how thorough this is, you might want to copy it to the "Reviews" section.

2. Also report it in "February Purchases".

:beer:
Thanks a lot, Chris bud, always the man after my own heart.

1- Maybe a mod will do that for me, if they deemed it suitable for the section.

2- I'll check that out.

The Sad Shock!
Definitively going to my to buy list. Congrats man, it looks great!
LUW, brother, thank you!

Take it from me, this one's right up your alley for sure. Not to be missed.

Am less sceptic about this model thanks to you pictures, Airwatch: great job and gratz of course! Is your model greyish like the RAF or more black?

The lighting is ace!!!
Will have to see the others IRL, cuz the white dial and normal displays are a bit loud for my taste...

This place is going to get me in 'trouble': When sering this model, I thought that's a straight no go... Now... Hmm...

;-)
Isezumi, my friend, thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. I tell you, there really isn't much here to be skeptical about.

It's a blueish grey, quite a different shade from the military fatigue grey of GD-350-8JF.

"The lighting is ace!!!" is it! The rest are just misguided, inhibiting thoughts.

What's your worry? You're already in waist-deep, may as well take the plunge. A "no go"? No way!

Definitely not my cup of tea, maybe the black model would be more to my liking....:think:

Awesome review as usual nonetheless, with world class pictures :-! Have fun !

cheers
Thank you very much, cal, buddy. This one's the most practical version as I reckon the small negative displays on the others are gonna be all but useless in most lighting conditions.

Here's today's shot

#4 ·
I can't decide whether Casio are serious with that light show.

Are they all multicoloured?

Hmmm I like the seemingly metal frame scheme (middle thumbnail) but I dunno. A little disappointed by the Fast n Furious light show.

Sent via Tapatalk

#5 ·
Nice Airwatch! Hope you enjoy it! The features on it are very cool, and i enjoy the lights.

1. Considering how thorough this is, you might want to copy it to the "Reviews" section.

2. Also report it in "February Purchases".

#7 ·

I hope you won't go getting any ideas re lights on your Scoobie sir. However a big G-Shock sticker down the side doors might be the way forward ;-p

Reactions: Chrisek
#8 ·
Am less sceptic about this model thanks to you pictures, Airwatch: great job and gratz of course! Is your model greyish like the RAF or more black?

The lighting is ace!!!
Will have to see the others IRL, cuz the white dial and normal displays are a bit loud for my taste...

This place is going to get me in 'trouble': When sering this model, I thought that's a straight no go... Now... Hmm...

;-)

#9 ·
Definitely not my cup of tea, maybe the black model would be more to my liking....:think:

Awesome review as usual nonetheless, with world class pictures :-! Have fun !

cheers

#10 · (Edited)
That compass (?) dial looks like the old CND sign too doesn't it?

View attachment 990084

I have looked again at these images and this model, and come back to what I said somewhere else. What do the ProTrek guys think I wonder?

Something tells me there's gonna be some inter-departmental sniping going on.

But I DO know that I'd run those batteries flat playing with those lights, I just know it!!

#19 ·
That's the mode dial hand which is actually made to look like a plane...A peaceful one?

If by "ProTrek guys" you mean fans of the line, I don't think there are too many of 'em hanging around here. But, I agree, they do have some very stiff competition in this one.

Tell mom and dad to stock up on batteries to prevent undue playtime interruptions.;-)

#20 ·
Yes, in a way. But it's not a very visible, accurate or useful way.

See that tiny square in the lower digital meter right above the "3"? Well, that's a minuscule, hard to see flashing cursor indicating current time and the other cursor ahead of it is a solid, non-flashing one that shows the time in the city of your choice in World Time, UTC in this case. Nearly pure toy stuff.

#23 ·
The Neon Illumination is quite a show but the lume is the same old rather lame Casio affair. I'm beginning to think they're really having trouble finding a vendor to sell 'em the good stuff. Of course, I try to make it all look bigger and brighter than real-life in these photos.

#18 ·
congrats on the new watch and thanks for the wonderful pictures.
it's a very interesting design, and I understand that some people are talking about it. to say it politely.
and to say it not so politely, let me use this link: BAM!

don't get me wrong, I like it. but I like many things that are different :-!
best,
Mikey b-)

#30 ·
AirWatch, your pictures are great as aways. Thanks for the beautiful and creative lume shots. And they caused me impulse buys many time (GD100BW, GD350). I guess if you picked the GA1000FC model for photo shots, I may click the buy it now again. Two things that hold me from getting this model, sad face and no back light for the digital display. I'll wait until the smart access and neon illum meet in a G-Shock.

#32 ·
AirWatch, your pictures are great as always. Thanks for the beautiful and creative lume shots.
Agreed - great shots indeed.

One of the ugliest G in the last few years. Am I the only one who thinks that?
It's not the ugliest for me, by a long shot - I think the case design is really impressive. However, I'm one of the potential customers that will not be able to overcome the sadness as previously noted by a few people. So it's not for me, unfortunately.

Reactions: Docrwm
#35 ·
Re: Give me compass, direction, a second hand and illuminate! Just released GA-1000

Good point well made Airwatch. That's the Kawasaki dash off to a 'T'.

#36 · (Edited)
Re: Give me compass, direction, a second hand and illuminate! Just released GA-1000

Hi Airwatch,

This is definitely a model I am interested in, thanks for the info. I have a couple quick questions. Is the light emanating from behind the "plane" mode selector coming from the same stuff that's used on the minutes/hour hands (i.e. it needs to be charged with light before it will lume)? It's hard for me to tell because in one of your pictures there is nothing emanating from it, while in the next picture it seems to be glowing brightly. I wonder why Casio wouldn't use the blacklight paint on the minutes/hour hands too, or do they?

Thanks,
Form

Edit: I'm also interested in the black/orange version, but from a Youtube video, it looked like the plane mode selector didn't lume :-|

#37 ·

Hi Airwatch,

This is definitely a model I am interested in, thanks for the info. I have a couple quick questions. Is the light emanating from behind the "plane" mode selector coming from the same stuff that's used on the minutes/hour hands (i.e. it needs to be charged with light before it will lume)? It's hard for me to tell because in one of your pictures there is nothing emanating from it, while in the next picture it seems to be glowing brightly. I wonder why Casio wouldn't use the blacklight paint on the minutes/hour hands too, or do they?

Thanks,
Form

Edit: I'm also interested in the black/orange version, but from a Youtube video, it looked like the plane mode selector didn't lume :-|
You're welcome, Form. Thanks for looking.

Yes, the mode indicator dial and hour and minute hands all have luminescent or phosphorescent paint or in our "watchie" vernacular they're lumed which makes them glow in the dark unaided.

Tips of the second hand and mode indicator plane along with 9, 12, 3 and minute markers get a fluorescent coating which makes them all light up in reaction with the long-wave ultraviolet LED blacklight.

The actual effect is less vivid than in my pics here. Our eyes work very differently from a camera after all.

I'm not sure if the orange mode dial on the black version is lumed. I don't have that one.

#40 ·
OOoOooOoloooo.....AaahhhhHhHhHHhH! I love Duc's, though Speed Triple is the fastest thing ive ridden thus far.

I was making a reference to show "AirWolfe" (regarding the light show that the watch puts on). Dating myself a bit, there.... :) My watch got hung up a second, so I should have it today. Pics coming.

#41 ·
OOoOooOoloooo.....AaahhhhHhHhHHhH! I love Duc's, though Speed Triple is the fastest thing ive ridden thus far.

I was making a reference to show "AirWolfe" (regarding the light show that the watch puts on). Dating myself a bit, there.... :) My watch got hung up a second, so I should have it today. Pics coming.
Yeah, Ducatis are alright. They're more mechanical artistic expressions than mere fast bikes. Hence, the high prices and the typical peculiar baggage that comes along with them. Would love to own one, just the same and needless to say. I'm kind of enamored with the new Monster these days. A great looking bike.

I had an inkling that you weren't really referring to me there, but then I said: "What the hey, I'll just put it in there".

This'll serve as place-warmer until your pics are up

#43 ·
Must you torment?

:)

Monsters are great looking bikes. Ive got a Triumph at home, though, that manages to keep me happy and honest for now.
Well, here it is. If they would solar it, sapphire it, atomic it, or defier drive it (any one would work) it would be awesome

-sent from somewhere in the wibbley wobbley....

Attachments

#44 ·
Looking good there, Alathea. Real good! Congrats!

In barely a year since its release, Casio has already come out with no less than six variants of this rather complex, probably not the easiest to manufacture, ana-dgi. You'd think that that kind of a commitment to a model would lead to further development of it, wouldn't you? So, your wishes, or at least some of 'em, just might come true.

My only wish of the moment for the GA1000 is kind of modest in comparison: I just want a blacked out, stealth version with sparse yellow or gray highlights limited to the lumed elements of the watch. I want that one right now! Everything else can wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.