GPW 1000 Observation
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RandM
  • 2 Post By Time4Playnow
  • 1 Post By RandM

Thread: GPW 1000 Observation

GPW 1000 Observation

Of all of the years I have been in and out of this forum my all time favorite G is the GPW 1000. I bought number 5 on eBay while I was vacationing with the family this week. Has anyone else noticed that in the last 10 days that the price of this watch has gone through the roof? I can only assume inventory is dwindling and it must be on the precipice of extinction. I hope not but we have the GPW 2000 and the watch will outlast the model run.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Re: GPW 1000 Observation

Yes, did note the increase in price. Not surprised for two reasons. First, it is the paternal model whose number has been superseded - its days are numbered. Second, it is a better looking Watch with the same function and Casio likely knows this.
    Hidden Content

Timepieces
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN 1000H 9AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWG 1000DC 1A5JF
    1990 ROLEX GMT II STAINLESS/GOLD
    2017 CASIO EDIFICE EF 305 1AV
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWF D1000NV 2JF

To be honest, after just taking a look at a sampling of the prices, they don't seem different to me than they've always been. There are still many deals to be had. For ex the olive and GB GPWs are available for $449 on Ebay, while the Titanium model is still there for $599 - pretty incredible as that's less than half its retail price of $1350. The "1A" is still hovering at around the $500 mark. And a couple of the orange 4A versions are still available for $700ish.

The Navy "2A" is more expensive, but I think that's because it remained a Japan Market version and was not widely exported (if at all) to other markets. Plus I'm not sure if the Navy is still being produced or not... The "RD" version is getting more expensive, but this is not a surprise because I think it was a limited run, just like the GWG-1000RD, and now that quantities are getting scarce the prices are going northward. And the limited ed. "TBS" version has always been sky-high and still is.

Curious, which version of the GPW did you just pick up?

I sold my RAF a little while ago, and now have 3 left that I don't want to part with -- the Navy 2A version, the RD model, and the titanium model. Navy, red, and black is a nice group of colors for the GPW and I'm very happy with them.
    Deepsea_dweller and kubr1ck like this.

I search them on eBay by recently listed. I just picked up the one with the red/orange strap.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RandM View Post
    I search them on eBay by recently listed. I just picked up the one with the red/orange strap.
    So you picked up the 1000-4A version? Not the RD one, right? I didn't think any of the straps had both red and orange, but not sure..

How about a pic??

One of the reasons I like the GPW-1000 so much is the yuuuuuuuuge dial!! Easy to tell the time at a glance - or from across the room! If I live to age 75 or 80, I'm likely to be one of the old fogies wearing my GPW!! If my eyesight gets worse, no doubt I'll still be able to tell the time with this one!

Thread Information