WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all.

177K views 1K replies 212 participants last post by  therion 
#1 ·
This is the official GPW B E A S T THREAD OF AWESOMENESS the only purpose of which is the glorification, showing off, celebration and general awesomisation of our BEASTs....

If you have a GPW. If you are skydiving with it from a Space Capsule. If you are driving 300kph on a race track in a Bugatti Veyron Spider. If you are piloting a WW I fighterplane. If you are eating a XL doublecheesegoldencrust megapizza with pineapples and barbecuesauce all by yourself. If you are doing anything remotely awesome while wearing your BEAST - we want to know. We want to SEE it. So far these incredible devices have been shown in their cozy little boxes, on their pillow surrounded by dark leather and golden writing.

This ends NOW! And this here is the place to show off your heroic deeds! GO! :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart:rodekaart

#488 · (Edited)
I have the 1BJF , not the 1B , and although I don't have a pure 1B to compare with, all I can say is that the instructions manual is in Japanese only. Not multi-language, not even english nor klingon.

I have purchased plenty of Sony products in Japan, and there is always an optional "E" version of them, which means the manual is in English. I suspect this follows the same principle.
On the back plate it only says GPW-1000. The serial numbers don't mention any JF letters in them.

#489 · (Edited)
Frankenizing a GPW

Question to you guys,

say I finally sell my emergency, and decide to go for a second GPW-1000, say the GPW-1000FC-1A.
Can I grab my metal bezel piece, where it says G-SHOCK PROTECTION, from my 1B, and put it on the 1A ?

I don't like the overly bright white letters there, which is one of the main reasons I went for the 1B, however, I would like the white Lume hour markers.

So then I would have one for wearing about town, and one for thrashing (i.e. sailing, swimming in the sea, driving dirtbikes, etc).

Here would be the end result sorta:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#491 ·
Re: Frankenizing a GPW

Question to you guys,

say I finally sell my emergency, and decide to go for a second GPW-1000, say the GPW-1000FC-1A.
Can I grab my metal bezel piece, where it says G-SHOCK PROTECTION, from my 1B, and put it on the 1A ?

I don't like the overly bright white letters there, which is one of the main reasons I went for the 1B, however, I would like the white Lume hour markers.

So then I would have one for wearing about town, and one for thrashing (i.e. sailing, swimming in the sea, driving dirtbikes, etc).

Here would be the end result sorta:
View attachment 3766386
Yes, you can do that. Any like part from the same model should be interchangeable. In fact I have been thinking about doing the same thing as you, well buying a spare bezel from a 1B and putting it on my 1A.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#496 · (Edited)
No problem, I downloaded the english manual from the net, it's the qw5410.pdf document, and printed it at the hotel.
They messed up their printer and it took a bit longer than needed, so they didn't charge me anything for that. Color Laser print ! looks like the real thing LOL.

If I knew how to upload it to here, I would.

cheers.

EDIT: here, I uploaded it to my server: http://www.servermasters.com/stuff/CASIO_qw5410.pdf
(best thing is to print it, and then cut the pages into 8 parts, and build your booklet)

#498 ·
Question about leap-second:

OKay, so, I just got my GPW-1000, which , on June 1st, will receive the leap-second info for this year. I would assume that ONLY comes from the GPS signal, right ?

Now, imagine the leap-second information makes the watch run "say 1 second fast",
now, what will happen the following night, when the watch receives the standard Atomic time signal at 5 am ?
will it "go back to whatever it was before ?"
and if not, then will the time displayed by the GPW be different, than the time displayed by my PRW-1300, which can only get its time from the Atomic clock signal ?

#499 · (Edited)
Yes, leap seconds are only used by the GPS system. The GPS system uses TAI, International Atomic Time. No efforts are made to synchronize TAI with Mean Solar Time. However UTC is kept as close as possible to Mean Solar Time through the use of leap seconds. Currently TAI and UTC are about 30 seconds different. The signals received through terrestrial radio are UTC, all leap second information has already been applied to the clock governing each transmitter before the time signal is transmitted.

You don't have to worry about syncing with the two systems though, the watch knows which signal it is syncing to and processes each signal accordingly.

BTW, the leap second info is only received when doing a time and position sync. That's why it is essential to do a T+P sync when you first get your watch, whenever you change time zones, and every June and December.

#504 ·
Hi guys!

One GPW-1000-1B for me! I've been wanting to get a G-Shock for many years (my parents never got me one when I was a kid boo) and been recently looking for one after getting bonus (woohoo!).

Was going back and forth between the GWN-1000C black Gulfmaster (as I enjoy the ocean and fishing) and the BEAST. I went to a couple shops to try them on but couldn't make a decision but was always leaning towards the BEAST because it just felt so much more substantial and well built everytime I picked up one. I finally managed to get a sweet deal (20% off) and took the dive!

Here she is (alongside a teeny Casio F91W :p) and more pics here: GPW-1000 - Album on Imgur

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#506 ·
Hi guys!

One GPW-1000-1B for me! I've been wanting to get a G-Shock for many years (my parents never got me one when I was a kid boo) and been recently looking for one after getting bonus (woohoo!).

Was going back and forth between the GWN-1000C black Gulfmaster (as I enjoy the ocean and fishing) and the BEAST. I went to a couple shops to try them on but couldn't make a decision but was always leaning towards the BEAST because it just felt so much more substantial and well built everytime I picked up one. I finally managed to get a sweet deal (20% off) and took the dive!

Here she is (alongside a teeny Casio F91W :p) and more pics here: GPW-1000 - Album on Imgur

View attachment 3789258
Looking at this pic gave me an instant idea !! Casio should have a "clone time" button on each watch, where you just put 2 watches closeby, and the one you press the button at, syncs to the closest watch. Set that to say a few centimeters, so the signal does not have to be too strong.
Call it, "timecloning" hehehe.

#505 ·
Only two to 100 !!!

GPW-1000-1B ..................................................... 22 watches (Steelinox, Knives and Lint, D1cky986, John_Harrison, Bulldog1, Shms59, aRogue, Chrisboy, Wotch, Stan54, Emergency, Ericwanch, JSM9872, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, G-Shock Protection, Robert Hoffmann, Dwsjr50, Greyburn)

GPW-1000-RAF ................................................... 21 watches (LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Time4playnow, Timesurfer, Showtime240, D1cky986, Sengyoku, Raff_Christ, Chypmun77, RHJones, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Yto1312, Jantyc, Hein W, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Phantasm, Gizzmo, JohnQFord, Kawei)

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 20 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Togaflexed, Devastator01, JSM9872, Suaku, Haymant)

GPW-1000-4A ..................................................... 17 watches (iJeff, Kawei, JonL, Timesurfer(2), Altan, D1cky986, Superflask, GeSte, Tgdtown, Raff_Christ, JohnQFord, Aydrian, Mrcrooka1, Foxman2k, Bobbyc02, Alanarkadia)

GPW-1000-2A ..................................................... 12 watches (Gripmaster, Time4playnow, JonL, D1cky986, Erikm82, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Heuer_1153, GrafiXepressions, Mrcrooka1, Andyahs, Soulbridgemedia, TG8OH7)

GPW-1000FC-1A9 ................................................. 5 watches (Time4playnow, JonL, TG8OH7, Kawei, GilbertMark)

GPW-1000FC-1A .................................................. 1 watch (10-Dee-Q)

Together ............................................................ 98 watches

GGGGPPPPWWWW - Timesurfer, D1cky986 (4 watches)

GGGPPPWWW - Time4playnow, JonL, Kawei (3 watches)

GGPPWW - Gripmaster, Raff_Christ, Mrcrooka1, JohnQFord, Andyahs, JSM9872, TG8OH7 (2 watches)

GPW - iJeff, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Soulbridgemedia, Togaflexed, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, Bobbyc02, Devastator01, G-Shock Protection, Suaku, GilbertMark, Haymant, Robert Hoffmann, Alanarkadia, Dwsjr50, Greyburn (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa

#513 ·
Only one to 100 !!!

GPW-1000-1B ..................................................... 22 watches (Steelinox, Knives and Lint, D1cky986, John_Harrison, Bulldog1, Shms59, aRogue, Chrisboy, Wotch, Stan54, Emergency, Ericwanch, JSM9872, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, G-Shock Protection, Robert Hoffmann, Dwsjr50, Greyburn)

GPW-1000-RAF ................................................... 21 watches (LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Time4playnow, Timesurfer, Showtime240, D1cky986, Sengyoku, Raff_Christ, Chypmun77, RHJones, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Yto1312, Jantyc, Hein W, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Phantasm, Gizzmo, JohnQFord, Kawei)

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 20 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Togaflexed, Devastator01, JSM9872, Suaku, Haymant)

GPW-1000-4A ..................................................... 17 watches (iJeff, Kawei, JonL, Timesurfer(2), Altan, D1cky986, Superflask, GeSte, Tgdtown, Raff_Christ, JohnQFord, Aydrian, Mrcrooka1, Foxman2k, Bobbyc02, Alanarkadia)

GPW-1000-2A ..................................................... 12 watches (Gripmaster, Time4playnow, JonL, D1cky986, Erikm82, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Heuer_1153, GrafiXepressions, Mrcrooka1, Andyahs, Soulbridgemedia, TG8OH7)

GPW-1000FC-1A9 ................................................. 6 watches (Time4playnow, JonL, TG8OH7, Kawei, GilbertMark, Merlino)

GPW-1000FC-1A .................................................. 1 watch (10-Dee-Q)

Together ............................................................ 99 watches

GGPPWW - Gripmaster, Raff_Christ, Mrcrooka1, JohnQFord, Andyahs, JSM9872, TG8OH7 (2 watches)

GPW - iJeff, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Soulbridgemedia, Togaflexed, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, Bobbyc02, Devastator01, G-Shock Protection, Suaku, GilbertMark, Haymant, Robert Hoffmann, Alanarkadia, Dwsjr50, Greyburn, Merlino (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa

#516 ·
100 !!!

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 21 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Togaflexed, Devastator01, JSM9872, Suaku, Haymant, Tropicscouser)

GPW-1000FC-1A9 ................................................. 6 watches (Time4playnow, JonL, TG8OH7, Kawei, GilbertMark, Merlino)

Together ............................................................ 100 watches

GPW - iJeff, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Soulbridgemedia, Togaflexed, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, Bobbyc02, Devastator01, G-Shock Protection, Suaku, GilbertMark, Haymant, Robert Hoffmann, Alanarkadia, Dwsjr50, Greyburn, Merlino, Tropicscouser (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa

#526 ·
You work in nuclear power plants??!! Kinda like Homer Simpson?? :-d

Wonder if the Beast is radiation-resistant? Well, let's hope THAT is not necessary! ;-)

#528 ·
hey thanks

I've tried to wear the Beast with cuffs. I can almost certainly say that the Beast won't fit inside the cuff (unless you get your tailor to make the cuff big enough to fit it). I like to wear my watch outside of my cuff - I know a trick if you're getting your shirts tailor-made, is to make the watch-wearing sleeve shorter in length
For the Beast, I actually think it's sexy to pair the chunky watch with the cuff. I haven't tried it with a suit, but I can't see why not - adds quite a statement to the set up, and perhaps a conversation piece.

I guess my question is - would people take you seriously? I'm keen to hear anyone who has worn the Beast to important work meetings, especially one that requires attendees to give you their attention while you conduct a presentation.

And to the fashion police out there who think it's not suitable to pair the Beast with formal attire, I want to hear from you.

I know the market for the GPW is targeted at the outgoing, adventure seeking, well travelled person (mostly male?). Wouldn't the well travelled person at some point be wearing say a suit and tie if he's important/ sough after enough to travel regularly?

I can't imagine the Beast not being a daily driver - it's a top of the range watch not only has battery life that doesn't run out with regular exposure to light, but that sets the time automatically to where you are. It shouldn't be sitting in a watch box, but should be out with you wherever you may be

#531 ·
hey thanks

I've tried to wear the Beast with cuffs. I can almost certainly say that the Beast won't fit inside the cuff (unless you get your tailor to make the cuff big enough to fit it). I like to wear my watch outside of my cuff - I know a trick if you're getting your shirts tailor-made, is to make the watch-wearing sleeve shorter in length
For the Beast, I actually think it's sexy to pair the chunky watch with the cuff. I haven't tried it with a suit, but I can't see why not - adds quite a statement to the set up, and perhaps a conversation piece.

I guess my question is - would people take you seriously? I'm keen to hear anyone who has worn the Beast to important work meetings, especially one that requires attendees to give you their attention while you conduct a presentation.

And to the fashion police out there who think it's not suitable to pair the Beast with formal attire, I want to hear from you.

I know the market for the GPW is targeted at the outgoing, adventure seeking, well travelled person (mostly male?). Wouldn't the well travelled person at some point be wearing say a suit and tie if he's important/ sough after enough to travel regularly?

I can't imagine the Beast not being a daily driver - it's a top of the range watch not only has battery life that doesn't run out with regular exposure to light, but that sets the time automatically to where you are. It shouldn't be sitting in a watch box, but should be out with you wherever you may be
Hello,

The Beast isn't easy to wear with long sleeves in configuration (first+mid layer+hard/soft shell). That's right.
But if you only have a mid-layer, you also can wear the watch above. That's fine, and comfortable.
With a LS shirt it's possible to wear the watch if you fold the sleeves, for instance.

But do not forget the use this watch has been made for :)

Otherwise, the watch is a pleasure to wear.

Cheers.

Reactions: Aydrian
#537 · (Edited)
Question for Beast owners who live in cities - how is the atomic and GPS reception? I live in NYC. I had a Seiko Astron and it never caught the GPS signal. So I'm cautious.... I hear the GPW1000 is better though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live in the Great Southwest State City of San Diego, and my GW1000 syncs to Fort Collins or GPS everyday...
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
k

Electronic post generated by human via apple interface...

#539 ·
GPW-1000-1B ..................................................... 23 watches (Steelinox, Knives and Lint, D1cky986, John_Harrison, Bulldog1, Shms59, aRogue, Chrisboy, Wotch, Stan54, Emergency, Ericwanch, JSM9872, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, G-Shock Protection, Robert Hoffmann, Dwsjr50, Greyburn, Woodville63)

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 21 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Togaflexed, Devastator01, JSM9872, Suaku, Haymant, Tropicscouser)

Together ............................................................ 101 watches

GPW - iJeff, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Soulbridgemedia, Togaflexed, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, Bobbyc02, Devastator01, G-Shock Protection, Suaku, GilbertMark, Haymant, Robert Hoffmann, Alanarkadia, Dwsjr50, Greyburn, Merlino, Tropicscouser, Woodville63 (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.