WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all.

177K views 1K replies 212 participants last post by  therion 
#1 ·
This is the official GPW B E A S T THREAD OF AWESOMENESS the only purpose of which is the glorification, showing off, celebration and general awesomisation of our BEASTs....

If you have a GPW. If you are skydiving with it from a Space Capsule. If you are driving 300kph on a race track in a Bugatti Veyron Spider. If you are piloting a WW I fighterplane. If you are eating a XL doublecheesegoldencrust megapizza with pineapples and barbecuesauce all by yourself. If you are doing anything remotely awesome while wearing your BEAST - we want to know. We want to SEE it. So far these incredible devices have been shown in their cozy little boxes, on their pillow surrounded by dark leather and golden writing.

This ends NOW! And this here is the place to show off your heroic deeds! GO! :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart:rodekaart

#776 ·
Somehow my post disappeared...

Can you swap out the Bezel parts on a 1a with all the white paint, ala the G-Shock and Protection parts? Is it simple screwdriver work? Has anybody successfully done that?

What tools are necessary to remove links for the Composite/Resin Bracelet? I think I would like that Bracelet.

Never wanted a G-Shock till I saw this one in a Youtube Channel.

#778 · (Edited)
How long does GPS take to sync?
The manual claims that it normally takes anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes, but might take as long as 13 minutes if there is leap second information encoded in the signal.

Whats the point of having both multiband 6 and GPS ?
Not every place on earth receives a radio signal from the five countries transmitting the signal -- but you already knew that.

GPS SHOULD reach most places on earth where someone is trying to synch their watch, but not everybody wants to go stand outside (where the signal is strongest) for 1 or 2 minutes to do it.

Does it tell you which one it used to set the time? :think:
Yes.

Here's a link to the manual, which should answer most of your follow-up questions: http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/009/qw5410.pdf

#784 · (Edited)
Got it! GPS... Seven seconds to get time. 30 seconds to get location. If it's a leap year it might take 13 minutes.

I'm guessing it only takes seven seconds for time because it only requires on satellite. Position requires multiple satellites and a location calculation algorithm.

As for leap year, maybe it doesn't always broadcast it? Long time ago I used my PC connected to my GPS to receive "NMEA sentences" and then decoded them...

I read the manual but I can't find the part where you select GPS vs Multiband ... reading it again...

I used to want them to put GPS into my GW-M5610 .. but now I'm having second thoughts..

#786 ·
Got it! GPS... Seven seconds to get time. 30 seconds to get location. If it's a leap year it might take 13 minutes.
Didn't I already say that? Yes, yes, I did -- post #779 above:

The manual claims that it normally takes anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes, but might take as long as 13 minutes if there is leap second information encoded in the signal.
It should only takes 13 minutes if there is LEAP SECOND data in the signal -- it shouldn't take 13 minutes every time you synch during a leap YEAR. There's a big difference between "leap second" and "leap year."

I read the manual but I can't find the part where you select GPS vs Multiband ... reading it again...
Page 4, section E-28.

I used to want them to put GPS into my GW-M5610 .. but now I'm having second thoughts..
Just as well, since they're not going to do it. They MIGHT build a Multiband 6, GPS equipped digital but it will almost certainly have a different model number, and I strongly suspect that it won't be a "classic square" case so it wouldn't be a "56xx."

#785 ·
I did know, after you asked and I found the manual for you -- again!

The big question is "why aren't you looking up some of your own questions?"

If you know the beginning of a model number, it's not at all hard to find the MODULE number.

Once you have the module number, it's not at all hard to Google "casio watch manual" and find their "portal page" where you just enter the module number and click "search." (It took me about five seconds just now to do it again, but I type fast: Timepieces(Watches) - Manuals - CASIO )

Once you have the manual, it should contain the answers to MOST common questions about that model!

#789 ·
Does the watch show multiband signal strength? GPS strength and number of satellites? Can't find it in the manual.
Section E-40 suggests that reception is a simple "yes" or "no."

Many older atomic G-Shocks showed the relative strength of the last signal that was received but newer models simply show "received" or not. Not everybody is concerned with the actual strength OF the signal as long as their watch received successfully, so Casio probably decided to do away with the extraneous display.

#794 · (Edited)
OFF TOPIC... I found another GPS watch. This may have been the first of its kind...

Amazon.com: Citizen Men's CC3005-85E Satellite Wave Analog Display Japanese Quartz Silver Watch: Watches

This one is amazing! ... https://youtu.be/K5wXZ_gNAWY

All the hands are independent of each other... the hour hand and minute hand move separately... notice also how fast they can move. Two separate modes... location mode and time mode... time mode syncs in 3 seconds! Very intuitive. Check it out.

edit: Watch doesn't support leap seconds.

#797 ·
Right about time to share another new purchase with the my GPW....to join my RAF GPW I got a new GPW 1000-4A love this baby so much....

Sent from my...
well it was high time sir, that you finally joined the GPW thread with that one!
damn why did I skip this one when I saw it in Tokyo? Hmm I have to seriously reconsider my strategy, it seems....

#800 ·
GPW-1000-1B ..................................................... 29 watches (Steelinox, Knives and Lint, D1cky986, John_Harrison, Bulldog1, Shms59, aRogue, Chrisboy, Wotch, Stan54, Emergency, Ericwanch, JSM9872, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, G-Shock Protection, Robert Hoffmann, Dwsjr50, Greyburn, Woodville63, Volgofmr, Budikosu, Aalin13, Ky3mikael, Afterdarksg, Azigman)

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 25 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Togaflexed, Devastator01, JSM9872, Suaku, Haymant, Tropicscouser, Yoda2005, RedHerringHack, Badboy_ahiru, Chicagoan)

GPW-1000-RAF ................................................... 24 watches (LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Time4playnow, Timesurfer, Showtime240, D1cky986, Sengyoku, Raff_Christ, Chypmun77, RHJones, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Yto1312, Jantyc, Hein W, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Phantasm, Gizzmo, JohnQFord, Kawei, PPP, Shameless, Simonal)

GPW-1000-4A ..................................................... 23 watches (iJeff, Kawei, JonL, Timesurfer(2), Altan, D1cky986, Superflask, GeSte, Tgdtown, Raff_Christ, Aydrian, Mrcrooka1, Foxman2k, Bobbyc02, Alanarkadia, Sheldon Cooper, Lqhakeem, Milloncobra, Cbkihong, Andyahs, Leedro, Simonal)

GPW-1000-2A ..................................................... 17 watches (Gripmaster, Time4playnow, JonL, D1cky986, Erikm82, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Heuer_1153, GrafiXepressions, Mrcrooka1, Andyahs, Soulbridgemedia, TG8OH7, Kawei, Poovakkurussi, Lqhakeem, Veysern, Zf2)

GPW-1000FC-1A9 ................................................. 8 watches (Time4playnow, JonL, TG8OH7, Kawei, GilbertMark, Merlino, Haf, iCatchU)

GPW-1000T .......................................................... 4 watches (Lqhakeem, NorCal_PWRstroke, Terrygls, Nemo)

GPW-1000TBS ....................................................... 4 watches (Lqhakeem, Kawei, Raff_Christ, Neekg)

GPW-1000V .......................................................... 3 watches (Nemo, Psikat, Science451)

GPW-1000FC-1A ................................................... 1 watch
(10-Dee-Q)

Together ............................................................ 138 watches

GGGGGPPPPPWWWWW - Kawei (5 watches)

GGGGPPPPWWWW - Timesurfer, D1cky986, Lqhakeem (4 watches)

GGGPPPWWW - Time4playnow, JonL, Raff_Christ, Andyahs (3 watches)

GGPPWW - Gripmaster, Mrcrooka1, JSM9872, TG8OH7, Nemo, Simonal (2 watches)

GPW - iJeff, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Soulbridgemedia, Togaflexed, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, Bobbyc02, Devastator01, G-Shock Protection, Suaku, GilbertMark, Haymant, Robert Hoffmann, Alanarkadia, Dwsjr50, Greyburn, Merlino, Tropicscouser, Woodville63, PPP, Sheldon Cooper, Haf, Poovakkurussi, iCatchU, Volgofmr, Shameless, Veysern, Yoda2005, JohnQFord, Budikosu, Milloncobra, RedHerringHack, Badboy_ahiru, Aalin13, NorCal_PWRstroke, Terrygls, Neekg, Ky3mikael, Cbkihong, Zf2, Afterdarksg, Psikat, Chicagoan, Azigman, Leedro (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa

#804 ·
Well, I got my 1A and am disappointed in it.

I've had it exactly 24 hours and have decided to sell it. Unfortunately, I took the plastic off and now it's mine.

The sub dials are useless to me. They are pretty much too small to use, I will nver be able to tell the elapsed time even with pretty significant magnification. The 24 hour clock is the same. The numbers between 24 and 12 take too much Math to figure out the markers IMO. This means the countdown timer, elapsed timer, 2nd time zone are unusable. The divisions are just too small for me to use or are of a kind of archaic division of time. The watch is a bit uncomfortable, but I had resolved to buy the composite band anyway. But not entirely sure it would solve this issue and would be an additional $120 or so.

Unfortunately there was no way to really appreciate these things till I got it in my hand for a while. I haven't even worn it! I could just keep it. It does some things I really like. The GPS and radio sync are very nice. The time is easy to read. I wanted Solar power. I'm getting old and am looking for something with nice hands on it and well done markers. This watch has that. It is also lightweight, which I was looking for. But cluttering up the busy face with useless subdials are hacking on my nerves a bit.

I am considering a Seiko Astron now, which is a bunch more $$$ and doesn't do the radio sync.

If anybody is looking for one, I have a New 1A.

Here's my Likes/Dislikes and Needs for a New watch. I'm open to suggestions besides the Ashtron if you folks have any.

Face - Large Markers, High contrast, easy to read, Good Lume
Hands
GPS
Solar
Radio
Size is Good for legibility
LED Light- Nice but not essential
Auto DST
Calendar till the Year 2100
Lightweight
Analog Dial
200m Water resistant

Dislikes
=======
Size - maybe a bit big, but would be OK if it all else worked for me
Stopwatch is useless - to me
Elapsed Timer is useless - to me
24 Hour clock is not easily read - Useless to me
Need to buy another band costs $$$
Not a diving watch - or have a useable elapsed time timer
Face be be a bit cluttered and busy, would be OK if all was usable

Needs
======
Analog
100m + Water resistant
Solar Charged
GPS
Light & Comfortable would prefer Titanium
High Contrast Dial with Big hands and well marked second hand
Calendar maybe

#806 ·
Well, I got my 1A and am disappointed in it.

I've had it exactly 24 hours and have decided to sell it. Unfortunately, I took the plastic off and now it's mine.

The sub dials are useless to me. They are pretty much too small to use, I will nver be able to tell the elapsed time even with pretty significant magnification. The 24 hour clock is the same. The numbers between 24 and 12 take too much Math to figure out the markers IMO. This means the countdown timer, elapsed timer, 2nd time zone are unusable. The divisions are just too small for me to use or are of a kind of archaic division of time. The watch is a bit uncomfortable, but I had resolved to buy the composite band anyway. But not entirely sure it would solve this issue and would be an additional $120 or so.

Unfortunately there was no way to really appreciate these things till I got it in my hand for a while. I haven't even worn it! I could just keep it. It does some things I really like. The GPS and radio sync are very nice. The time is easy to read. I wanted Solar power. I'm getting old and am looking for something with nice hands on it and well done markers. This watch has that. It is also lightweight, which I was looking for. But cluttering up the busy face with useless subdials are hacking on my nerves a bit.

I am considering a Seiko Astron now, which is a bunch more $$$ and doesn't do the radio sync.

If anybody is looking for one, I have a New 1A.

Here's my Likes/Dislikes and Needs for a New watch. I'm open to suggestions besides the Ashtron if you folks have any.

Face - Large Markers, High contrast, easy to read, Good Lume
Hands
GPS
Solar
Radio
Size is Good for legibility
LED Light- Nice but not essential
Auto DST
Calendar till the Year 2100
Lightweight
Analog Dial
200m Water resistant

Dislikes
=======
Size - maybe a bit big, but would be OK if it all else worked for me
Stopwatch is useless - to me
Elapsed Timer is useless - to me
24 Hour clock is not easily read - Useless to me
Need to buy another band costs $$$
Not a diving watch - or have a useable elapsed time timer
Face be be a bit cluttered and busy, would be OK if all was usable

Needs
======
Analog
100m + Water resistant
Solar Charged
GPS
Light & Comfortable would prefer Titanium
High Contrast Dial with Big hands and well marked second hand
Calendar maybe
That's too bad. I agree with you, the sub-dials are pretty small on the GPW. I can read them, but it is not "fast" to ID the time on the world time sub-dial.

I was about to suggest the MRG-G1000D from Casio (titanium). However, in looking at its world time sub-dial, the sub-dial size might be larger than on the GPW (not sure, but it appears to be), but its markings don't look any more helpful...

I would suggest the MTG-G1000D (which I own as well). The world time sub-dial is larger than on the GPW, and it is much quicker to read because it is in a 12 hr. format instead of 24 hr. It also has an LED light (same type as the GPW). It actually meets all of your criteria EXCEPT - it's not all that light. At least, not compared to the GPW. It is stainless steel, not titanium, which might be a deal breaker for you. Then again, weight is all relative. I have some SS dive watches that are MUCH heavier than the MTG. It's all in what you are used to and what your expectations are, I guess..

So if not the MTG, then I'm all outta choices from Casio. I believe Citizen also makes some GPS watches now, not sure. I know Seiko has a lot. Maybe you'd want to wait and see what this year's Baselworld has in-store??

Reactions: stevenkelby
#819 ·
I think that each watch owner should read the manual for their watch. If someone asks a question about my watch, it is my pleasure to tell them. No one should have to read manuals for other people's watches. Whats so hard about sharing things you already know?

#836 ·
GPW-1000-1B ..................................................... 29 watches (Steelinox, Knives and Lint, D1cky986, John_Harrison, Bulldog1, Shms59, aRogue, Chrisboy, Wotch, Stan54, Emergency, Ericwanch, JSM9872, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, G-Shock Protection, Robert Hoffmann, Dwsjr50, Greyburn, Woodville63, Volgofmr, Budikosu, Aalin13, Ky3mikael, Afterdarksg, Azigman)

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 25 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Togaflexed, Devastator01, JSM9872, Suaku, Haymant, Tropicscouser, Yoda2005, RedHerringHack, Badboy_ahiru, Chicagoan)

GPW-1000-RAF ................................................... 24 watches (LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Time4playnow, Timesurfer, Showtime240, D1cky986, Sengyoku, Raff_Christ, Chypmun77, RHJones, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Yto1312, Jantyc, Hein W, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Phantasm, Gizzmo, JohnQFord, Kawei, PPP, Shameless, Simonal)

GPW-1000-4A ..................................................... 23 watches (iJeff, Kawei, JonL, Timesurfer(2), Altan, D1cky986, Superflask, GeSte, Tgdtown, Raff_Christ, Aydrian, Mrcrooka1, Foxman2k, Bobbyc02, Alanarkadia, Sheldon Cooper, Lqhakeem, Milloncobra, Cbkihong, Andyahs, Leedro, Simonal)

GPW-1000-2A ..................................................... 17 watches (Gripmaster, Time4playnow, JonL, D1cky986, Erikm82, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Heuer_1153, GrafiXepressions, Mrcrooka1, Andyahs, Soulbridgemedia, TG8OH7, Kawei, Poovakkurussi, Lqhakeem, Veysern, Zf2)

GPW-1000FC-1A9 ................................................. 8 watches (Time4playnow, JonL, TG8OH7, Kawei, GilbertMark, Merlino, Haf, iCatchU)

GPW-1000T .......................................................... 5 watches (Lqhakeem, NorCal_PWRstroke, Terrygls, Nemo, Estongpuruntong)

GPW-1000TBS ....................................................... 4 watches (Lqhakeem, Kawei, Raff_Christ, Neekg)

GPW-1000V .......................................................... 3 watches (Nemo, Psikat, Science451)

GPW-1000FC-1A ................................................... 1 watch
(10-Dee-Q)

Together ............................................................ 139 watches

GGGGGPPPPPWWWWW - Kawei (5 watches)

GGGGPPPPWWWW - Timesurfer, D1cky986, Lqhakeem (4 watches)

GGGPPPWWW - Time4playnow, JonL, Raff_Christ, Andyahs (3 watches)

GGPPWW - Gripmaster, Mrcrooka1, JSM9872, TG8OH7, Nemo, Simonal (2 watches)

GPW - iJeff, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, Steven68, Rwhite692, Bulldog, Soulbridgemedia, Togaflexed, PeeDee, Fendushi, G-Frank, Mudman, Ryan Bishop, Bobbyc02, Devastator01, G-Shock Protection, Suaku, GilbertMark, Haymant, Robert Hoffmann, Alanarkadia, Dwsjr50, Greyburn, Merlino, Tropicscouser, Woodville63, PPP, Sheldon Cooper, Haf, Poovakkurussi, iCatchU, Volgofmr, Shameless, Veysern, Yoda2005, JohnQFord, Budikosu, Milloncobra, RedHerringHack, Badboy_ahiru, Aalin13, NorCal_PWRstroke, Terrygls, Neekg, Ky3mikael, Cbkihong, Zf2, Afterdarksg, Psikat, Chicagoan, Azigman, Leedro (1 watch, Estongpuruntong)

Cheers, Piowa

#837 ·
What is the best way to "wash" this watch ?

After a long trip I just came back from, where I was exposed to salt, mud, rain, hail, animals trying to eat the watch, other animals with lots of stinky fur, etc etc, I decided to "wash" the watch. Cuz I noticed that all the ridges were full of brown gunk.

I filled my sink at home with warm water (not hot), and I put regular Palmolive liquid handsoap, stirred it well, then placed my watch in there for about 2 hours.
When I took it out I rinsed it with more warm water, and voilla, it looks like new. I noticed that the buttons don't stick anylonger.

Was this correct ? or what do you guys suggest as an alternative method ?

#838 ·
If the environment was that immersive, you might want to remove the bezel & straps & complete the cleaning. :think:

Also, don't forget, beauty parlours all over the world are using Palmolive to soften hands [according to Madge] ... maybe the watch will wear 'softer' now ! :-d

#841 ·
GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all.

Finally got one these watches...Pick it up off eBay. With buy it now price $375 and with my eBay bucks, it was at a unreal price !! Now off to pacparts.com to see what part to this watch I can swap out to make it my own little custom watch!! So excited tho!! Such a dope watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.