WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all.

177K views 1K replies 212 participants last post by  therion 
#1 ·
This is the official GPW B E A S T THREAD OF AWESOMENESS the only purpose of which is the glorification, showing off, celebration and general awesomisation of our BEASTs....

If you have a GPW. If you are skydiving with it from a Space Capsule. If you are driving 300kph on a race track in a Bugatti Veyron Spider. If you are piloting a WW I fighterplane. If you are eating a XL doublecheesegoldencrust megapizza with pineapples and barbecuesauce all by yourself. If you are doing anything remotely awesome while wearing your BEAST - we want to know. We want to SEE it. So far these incredible devices have been shown in their cozy little boxes, on their pillow surrounded by dark leather and golden writing.

This ends NOW! And this here is the place to show off your heroic deeds! GO! :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart:rodekaart

#883 ·
You are going to love it : D

Have you seen one in real life yet?

I bought my first one, the RAF edition, totally blind, being attracted to the technology and accuracy above all (doing a lot of travelling and taking flying lessons means Im squarely in the target market for this thing)....I was looking for a G-Shock after me and a friend were reminiscing about how unstoppable they were back in our military days, so I checked out the current range..and came across the GPW-1000.....

I was a bit nervous about the 'big watch on a thin wrist' syndrome...but it all fell away the moment I opened the box and found this work of art.

Its almost like an optical illusion actually....when I take it off to give someone to look at..its THEN they say 'its a huge (and quite heavy) watch'....never when its on my wrist. Also its when they actually hold it they cease with the '£800 for a Casio G shock?..you must be mad?' (pric of the Black and Gold version in the UK sadly ; O)....as it doesnt look all that flash...but when its in your hands, its immediately apparent that its a top quality piece of watchmaking.

As I said in my first post..if it was really ludicrously large, my chums would take the piss....the Breitling Cosmonaute is actually about the same size as this (thought its mostly actual watch face).....and I was mocked mercilessly for it.

Anyway....I think it highly unlikely you willl regret your purchase!

#884 ·
Great post! Welcome to the forum, and congrats on both of your GPWs!! :-!

At one time I had 3 GPWs, recently sold 2 and now am down to one, but it's a good one -- the RAF version!! :-!:-! I love its color scheme with the grey resin, and think the 'red jelly' carbon fiber insert makes it just about the coolest-looking band I've ever seen on a g-shock!! :)

And yes, when you hold a GPW in your hands, you can feel and see the quality in it, and it's THEN you understand how it can be so much more money than many other Gs...

I'm glad you aren't 'mocked mercilessly' for your GPWs! :):-!

#887 ·
They are for the 1/20 0.05 seconds!

The second hand only spins round for 30 secs and then stops at 12...then, when you stop the timing....the second hand spins round (very fast..one revolution of the second hand = 1 second....serious little motor in there!) to mark the 1/20 0.05sec...

Once you get used to it..you can read the timing to that 1000th of a second instantly.....it takes getting used to though, unlike with a digital...but once you know the layout....its fine!

#888 ·
Thanks for the welcome!
You pointed out one of the main things I prefer and wish was on the GPW-1000GB-1AER (asides my personal preference for the much darker general look.....its really JET black...as much as I loved teh RAF grey,,,,based on the RAFs actual tactical colour scheme of course.....).....but I also loved that red backing on the strap.

I happen to think it would really look cool on the jet black strap too.

Its kind of very dark grey on the black and gold one. Still subtly see through though....to demonstrate our Carbon to folk that question the possibility of a carbon fibre watch strap (this has happened to me....people think it is exclusively a RIGID substance...ahem .until they witness the glory of the GravityMaster : D)

Also great to find Im not the only one mad enough to own more than one! (I think its likely my RAF will get sold to be honest.....though I dont want to part with it......it will certainly go if Casio go and make another GPW that I must have.....like a Burton Snowboards one or something : P)

I would put it up for absolute Top Dollar though.....to discourage buyers : D

Well...Im working on a better photo of the GB.....Hopefully it will convince some more people to get it, as no pic Ive seen yet does it justice...but then that goes for the RAF and all the rest of them actually!

#903 ·
I owned that 1000FC for awhile. It did not see any rough duty, and did not receive any scratches to the gold bits. (or anywhere else, except slight scratches on the bracelet clasp) With the way the city code ring is sunken down in, it is unlikely to get scratched, I think. Screws also. The bezel is more likely to take any contact with anything. I think I have seen a photo or two where guys have put a small scratch or ding in the metal bezel, but even doing that would probably take quite a whack to cause those results...

Reactions: SamQue
#905 ·
Looks like we're on a titanium roll. I just got mine in yesterday. I owned the RAF version when it came out but had trouble warming up to the size and weight. I sold it shortly thereafter. Recently I got a few Mudmasters and the size I got used to. The titanium GPW is indeed lighter by a half ounce and I can feel it. Since I have a PRW-6014H with the black on white with great contrast, this one fits right in.

#910 ·
Holy crap I love this watch! It's one of the coolest watches I've ever owned, and I've owned hundreds and hundreds.

The fit and finish is very, very high at this price point. The quality of the parts is higher than I could ask for. All around, it's an incredible watch.

The quality of the plastics and metals is just awesome. The fusion of them together looks incredible. It's really enjoyable to just look at and marvel at all of the design work that went into it.

I was concerned about the blue bezel trim and "G-Shock Protection" writing on the bezel being a little too loud and cheesy. The blue is very subtle and only visible when there's a glare off of it. And the G-Shock text is not as bright white as the dial markers. It's like a light creamy gray.

When I got it, I first noticed that the hour hand was about 10 seconds ahead of where it should be. In other words, at 50 seconds on the dial, the minute hand was on the next marker. Well, low and behold, there's a way to fix that! In fact, before manually fixing it you can run an automatic calibration. The auto calibrate fixed mine perfectly. The manual says it will self-correct, which is amazing, but I was too impatient.

Anyway, another awesome G-Shock that makes me ask, "what in the **** have I been doing with all of these expensive auto and mechanical watches!?!?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.