GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all. - Page 24
Like Tree2673Likes

Thread: GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all.

Page 24 of 105 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 ... LastLast

Re: GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all.

I thought I would write a few lines on what owning this watch has been like.

I've owned the Beast for a little over a week now, and it's been a real pleasure! I can't think of any negatives to mention.

Since I've had the watch I've been on the road in North Carolina. For those unfamiliar with the geography of the US, I'm on the east coast, approximately 1500 miles from the atomic clock transmitter, which is in Colorado. Luckily, all of the hotel rooms I've had, 4 in all, have faced generally west. So far the Beast has never failed to synchronize via terrestrial radio. I just put it on the window sill, and it has synchronized by 0010. My Rangeman has matched that performance, so the Beast hasn't been any better than that, but it's been at least as good at syncing via the MultiBand radio.

Syncing via the GPS has been flawless! The first time synchronization did take a few minutes to accomplish. But all subsequent syncs have been very quick. Synchronizing time only has always taken 10 seconds or less. Syncing time and position has taken about 30 seconds, though I've only done it about 5 times. I know that's totally excessive, but I can't help myself! I'm sure that eventually the novelty will wear off a bit, but in the mean time I'm having a blast geeking out and syncing my brains out!

When the watch arrived if was showing high charge, and it hasn't dropped since. The first couple of days that I had it I did take advantage of some afternoon sun and let it bask on the window sill for a while, but apart from that I haven't done anything special to charge it.

All in all this watch is a real treat. If you're on the fence about buying one, don't hesitate, you won't regret buying The Beast!
    Last edited by nelamvr6; February 20th, 2015 at 00:13.

One other teeny-tiny nitpick hair-splitting note about converting from the strap to the link bracelet.

Well, sorta a two-part observation.

I notice that the weight of the GPW-1000FC is heavier than the GPW-1000A, with the different bands and whatnot.

So, the link band supposedly weighs more than the strap. I can see that.

HOWEVER.

I find that having more weight on the strap tends to balance out the whole package, making it feel less top-heavy.

ALSO.

I had to remove 2 links and the pins to fit the new band to my delicate little girly wrist. So, in that case, I'm betting that the final result is a lighter than advertised custom GPW-1000FC.

So while it may technically be heavier, it sure wears more balanced IMHO.

For only being 500 RAF pieces released to the UK market! It seems they are all here in this forum. I did try and start a thread to count them but it never took off, pardon the pun. lol.
    I wonder can someone start a thread to see how many GPW-RAF models are here in the uk. I hear America got ziltch, bummer. Lets have a try... Any thoughts.

Just got GPW #3 - the GPW-1000FC-1A9JF - the gold highlights had me intrigued as they are nicely done throughout the watch. I know it isn't a very common one around here but I have to say it dresses the GPW up quite nicely! It is a bit heavier than the other resin-strapped models, and so the fit is different - not bad, but not better either, just different. Anyhow, it will see plenty of time in the more dressier occasions!

Congrats, JonL !!!

GPW-1000-RAF .................................................. . 20 watches (LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Time4playnow, Timesurfer, Showtime240, Spyharpy, D1cky986, Sengyoku, Raff_Christ, Chypmun77, RHJones, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Yto1312, Jantyc, Hein W, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Phantasm, Gizzmo)

GPW-1000-1A .................................................. ... 13 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Phreddo, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11)

GPW-1000-4A .................................................. ... 11 watches (iJeff, Kawei, JonL, Timesurfer(2), Altan, D1cky986, Superflask, GeSte, Tgdtown, Raff_Christ)

GPW-1000-1B .................................................. ... 11 watches (Steelinox, Knives and Lint, D1cky986, John_Harrison, Bulldog1, Shms59, aRogue, Chrisboy, Wotch, Stan54, Emergency)

GPW-1000-2A .................................................. .... 8 watches (Gripmaster, Time4playnow, JonL, D1cky986, Erikm82, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Heuer_1153, GrafiXepressions)

GPW-1000FC-1A9 ................................................. 2 watches (Time4playnow, JonL)

GPW-1000FC-1A

Together .................................................. .......... 65 watches

GGGGPPPPWWWW - Timesurfer, D1cky986 (4 watches)
    GGGPPPWWW - Time4playnow, JonL (3 watches)
    GGPPWW - Gripmaster, Raff_Christ (2 watches)
    GPW - iJeff, Kawei, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Spyharpy, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Phreddo, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa
    Phreddo likes this.

I wonder if there's any way to know whether or not Casio is happy with the sales of the GPW watches? Does Casio ever release sales figures broken down by model?

I'm hopeful that the GPS tech is a hit, I'd really like to see it trickle down to the digital models eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Piowa View Post
    Congrats, JonL !!!

GPW-1000-RAF .................................................. . 20 watches (LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Time4playnow, Timesurfer, Showtime240, Spyharpy, D1cky986, Sengyoku, Raff_Christ, Chypmun77, RHJones, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Yto1312, Jantyc, Hein W, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Phantasm, Gizzmo)

GPW-1000-1A .................................................. ... 13 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Phreddo, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11)

GPW-1000-4A .................................................. ... 11 watches (iJeff, Kawei, JonL, Timesurfer(2), Altan, D1cky986, Superflask, GeSte, Tgdtown, Raff_Christ)

GPW-1000-1B .................................................. ... 11 watches (Steelinox, Knives and Lint, D1cky986, John_Harrison, Bulldog1, Shms59, aRogue, Chrisboy, Wotch, Stan54, Emergency)

GPW-1000-2A .................................................. .... 8 watches (Gripmaster, Time4playnow, JonL, D1cky986, Erikm82, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Heuer_1153, GrafiXepressions)

GPW-1000FC-1A9 ................................................. 2 watches (Time4playnow, JonL)

GPW-1000FC-1A

Together .................................................. .......... 65 watches

GGGGPPPPWWWW - Timesurfer, D1cky986 (4 watches)
    GGGPPPWWW - Time4playnow, JonL (3 watches)
    GGPPWW - Gripmaster, Raff_Christ (2 watches)
    GPW - iJeff, Kawei, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Spyharpy, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Phreddo, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa
    Bro, can add a GPW1000-4A for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddo View Post
    One other teeny-tiny nitpick hair-splitting note about converting from the strap to the link bracelet.

Well, sorta a two-part observation.

I notice that the weight of the GPW-1000FC is heavier than the GPW-1000A, with the different bands and whatnot.

So, the link band supposedly weighs more than the strap. I can see that.

HOWEVER.

I find that having more weight on the strap tends to balance out the whole package, making it feel less top-heavy.

ALSO.

I had to remove 2 links and the pins to fit the new band to my delicate little girly wrist. So, in that case, I'm betting that the final result is a lighter than advertised custom GPW-1000FC.

So while it may technically be heavier, it sure wears more balanced IMHO.
    According to my Mk 1 Arm, the bracelet (by itself, sized for my teeny wrist) weighs roughly twice as much as the strap (by itself, in all its incredibly long glory) does.

I like how comfortable the bracelet is, but it didn't match the RAF very well and I didn't like the weight. So I've gone back to the strap - not that the strap is uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by jantyc View Post
    For only being 500 RAF pieces released to the UK market! It seems they are all here in this forum. I did try and start a thread to count them but it never took off, pardon the pun. lol.
    I wonder can someone start a thread to see how many GPW-RAF models are here in the uk. I hear America got ziltch, bummer. Lets have a try... Any thoughts.
    As a Yank, mine is a model intended for the Japanese domestic market, purchased from a Japanese company that specializes in exporting Japanese domestic market electronics to the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by JonL View Post
    Just got GPW #3 - the GPW-1000FC-1A9JF - the gold highlights had me intrigued as they are nicely done throughout the watch. I know it isn't a very common one around here but I have to say it dresses the GPW up quite nicely! It is a bit heavier than the other resin-strapped models, and so the fit is different - not bad, but not better either, just different. Anyhow, it will see plenty of time in the more dressier occasions!

Congrats!! There may be other forum members who have gotten this model, but you are the first one I've heard of (other than me!). lol I've had this model for awhile now and think it looks great. I think the fit works very well on the bracelet too - not that it doesn't on the strap, also.

Very nice GPW - enjoy it!
    JonL and nelamvr6 like this.

Toss this one on the bar-b ... a Sky Cockpit GPW-1000-4AJF ... just in today:

Name:  IMG_0035 WUS.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  Wus 5.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  207.0 KB

More pic's here:

Thread: My New G-Shock Sky Cockpit GPW-1000-4AJF

Last edited by JohnQFord; February 21st, 2015 at 05:21. Reason: link to pics
    Pete26, MUDMAN, Nemo and 7 others like this.

Page 24 of 105 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 ... LastLast

Thread Information