GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all. - Page 29
Like Tree2660Likes

Thread: GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all.

Page 29 of 104 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 79 ... LastLast

Re: GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQFord View Post
    On E-33 of the manual, it states that you need to have had a successful radio time reception the previous night for automatic GPS time reception to occur during the day.

Perhaps you mis-read the manual. It actually says that the auto GPS sync will only work if the (atomic) signal reception the previous night was UNsuccessful. After all, if the atomic signal sync was successful, there is no need for an auto-GPS sync.

So to answer the original poster's question - how do you determine if the auto-GPS sync was successful -- in the morning, before wearing your GPW outside, find out if the atomic sync was successful overnight. If it was not, then once you've worn the watch outside or in the car, just check for the "yes"/"no" signal reception after awhile, and if it says "yes," then you know the GPS sync worked. It's that easy.
    ericwanch and JohnQFord like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    Perhaps you mis-read the manual. It actually says that the auto GPS sync will only work if the (atomic) signal reception the previous night was UNsuccessful. After all, if the atomic signal sync was successful, there is no need for an auto-GPS sync.

So to answer the original poster's question - how do you determine if the auto-GPS sync was successful -- in the morning, before wearing your GPW outside, find out if the atomic sync was successful overnight. If it was not, then once you've worn the watch outside or in the car, just check for the "yes"/"no" signal reception after awhile, and if it says "yes," then you know the GPS sync worked. It's that easy.
    @Time4PlayNow - Thanks.

That is exactly what I did and have encountered today. As I do not have atomic reception in my area, the atomic signal sync will be unsuccessful which I did verify by pressing the lower left button returning a "No" but once outside and after standing in the open for 2 minutes or even more with no indication of GPS sync activity which prompted my question. Will try again tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by ericwanch; March 5th, 2015 at 07:21.
    • Casio G-Shock GXW-56-1BJF; GW-9400RDJ-4JF; G-5600E-1JF; GW-M5610B-1JF; GPW-1000-1BJF; GR-8900A-7DR
    • Seiko Monster SRP313J1; Astron SBXA033;
    • Rolex Explorer II 216570
    • Defakto Eins - White
    • Panerai PAM 000M
    • Stowa Marine Original Serial
    • Tissot T-Touch Expert Titanium T013.420.47.202.00
    • IWC Fliegerchronograph 3717
    • Omega Seamaster 300M Chronometer 2220.80.00
    • Tag Heuer Professional 3000 Series Quartz

Quote Originally Posted by ericwanch View Post
    @Time4PlayNow - Thanks.

That is exactly what I did and have encountered today. As I do not have atomic reception in my area, the atomic signal sync will be unsuccessful which I did verify by pressing the lower left button returning a "No" but once outside and after standing in the open for 2 minutes or even more with no indication of GPS sync activity which prompted my question. Will try again tomorrow morning.
    It may take the watch being out in the open for longer than 2 minutes. Try 20 minutes or so. Also, I happened to notice when looking in the manual yesterday that it says the auto-GPS sync will work between 6am and 10pm. That's a 16 hour window, which is pretty good. I personally have had mine auto-GPS sync while I was driving my car, and my wrist was aimed out the window. (through the window, from inside the vehicle) Good luck.
    ericwanch likes this.

It may take the watch being out in the open for longer than 2 minutes. Try 20 minutes or so. Also, I happened to notice when looking in the manual yesterday that it says the auto-GPS sync will work between 6am and 10pm. That's a 16 hour window, which is pretty good. I personally have had mine auto-GPS sync while I was driving my car, and my wrist was aimed out the window. (through the window, from inside the vehicle) Good luck.
    @Time4Playnow

Wow! I actually misread that! I thought the auto-GPS sync is between 6am to 10am only!
    • Casio G-Shock GXW-56-1BJF; GW-9400RDJ-4JF; G-5600E-1JF; GW-M5610B-1JF; GPW-1000-1BJF; GR-8900A-7DR
    • Defakto Eins - White
    • Panerai PAM 000M

GPS time sync is pretty fast and easy
    GPS time + position sync takes a bit longer.
    The very first time it could take a good 15 minutes, if it has to get "leap second" information.
    Once the watch has established it's location, or if you set it manually, then the time sync will happen very quickly and easily.

When outside and/or in view of the sky, press and hold the bottom right button for 1 second, until the first beep. That's GPS time sync mode. The second hand moves to "time" and sits until it goes to either "yes" or "no."
    If you hold that button for 4 seconds, it goes into "T+P" mode. That is where the latitude hand starts to cycle up and down trying to triangulate your position. For that you should probably take the watch off and set it so it is facing up.

@Time4Playnow

Wow! I actually misread that! I thought the auto-GPS sync is between 6am to 10am only!
    ]]

Now you've got me curious about how long the GPS auto-sync does take to engage. As it turned out, my GPW RAF did not sync last night, so I had the perfect chance to test it. Went outside, pointed the dial at the sky, and waited... for 7-8 minutes. Nothing. As it's cold here and we're in the middle of a snow storm, thought maybe that could have had something to do with it. Anyhow, lost patience and did a manual sync, and it synced in its normal 10-12 seconds.

So unless the storm had an impact on the auto sync taking place, I'm guessing it takes between 10-20 minutes for it to occur. I will test mine again on a sunny day and see what happens!
    nelamvr6 likes this.

]]

Now you've got me curious about how long the GPS auto-sync does take to engage. As it turned out, my GPW RAF did not sync last night, so I had the perfect chance to test it. Went outside, pointed the dial at the sky, and waited... for 7-8 minutes. Nothing. As it's cold here and we're in the middle of a snow storm, thought maybe that could have had something to do with it. Anyhow, lost patience and did a manual sync, and it synced in its normal 10-12 seconds.

So unless the storm had an impact on the auto sync taking place, I'm guessing it takes between 10-20 minutes for it to occur. I will test mine again on a sunny day and see what happens!
    I just wanted to test and make sure all the watch functions are as described. The auto GPS sync didn't happen yesterday after a couple of minutes in the open and like you I resorted to manual sync. This morning, I tried again. Stood in the middle of my company's stockyard for close to 4 minutes before the second hand moved to the "Time" marking to sync. So it does actually works. In comparison, yesterday was a rather cloudy day compared to today which is bright and sunny.

Having both the Beast and Astron, I can compare the 2 and while auto-sync, the Astron is very quick to start. It will sync the moment it senses strong sunlight. Overall time to complete sync (manual sync for time + position), I would say that the Astron is also slightly quicker.
    Time4Playnow likes this.
    • Defakto Eins - White
    • Panerai PAM 000M

I just wanted to test and make sure all the watch functions are as described. The auto GPS sync didn't happen yesterday after a couple of minutes in the open and like you I resorted to manual sync. This morning, I tried again. Stood in the middle of my company's stockyard for close to 4 minutes before the second hand moved to the "Time" marking to sync. So it does actually works. In comparison, yesterday was a rather cloudy day compared to today which is bright and sunny.

Having both the Beast and Astron, I can compare the 2 and while auto-sync, the Astron is very quick to start. It will sync the moment it senses strong sunlight. Overall time to complete sync (manual sync for time + position), I would say that the Astron is also slightly quicker.
    That's cool -- glad yours is working properly! I know mine does too, despite the little experiment today -- which makes me think that the start of the auto-sync has something to do with the amount or intensity of light hitting the dial. As I was in the middle of a snow storm at the time, it was naturally very overcast. I bet it will work fast on a sunny day -- will check that out.
    ericwanch likes this.

In this video the Beast beats the Astron by a good 20 seconds.

http://youtu.be/aGdETJVuLt8
    ericwanch and Mrcrooka1 like this.

It's like the Astron's motto is "NOT IN THE FACE!"
    And The Beast's motto is "BRING IT ON!!!"

Page 29 of 104 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 79 ... LastLast

Thread Information