WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all.

177K views 1K replies 212 participants last post by  therion 
#1 ·
This is the official GPW B E A S T THREAD OF AWESOMENESS the only purpose of which is the glorification, showing off, celebration and general awesomisation of our BEASTs....

If you have a GPW. If you are skydiving with it from a Space Capsule. If you are driving 300kph on a race track in a Bugatti Veyron Spider. If you are piloting a WW I fighterplane. If you are eating a XL doublecheesegoldencrust megapizza with pineapples and barbecuesauce all by yourself. If you are doing anything remotely awesome while wearing your BEAST - we want to know. We want to SEE it. So far these incredible devices have been shown in their cozy little boxes, on their pillow surrounded by dark leather and golden writing.

This ends NOW! And this here is the place to show off your heroic deeds! GO! :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart :rodekaart:rodekaart

#274 ·
Hi. can anyone enlighten me as to what does the 'RC' marking next to 'T+P' on the dial for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JohnQFord
#276 ·
@JohnQFord - thanks

Just downloaded & read the manual as the copy that came with the watch is in Japanese. Guess I won't see the use of RC much as in Malaysia, I can't receive radio wave signal.

#278 ·
Another question to fellow "Beast" owners.

Today is the 4th day into my ownership of this awesome piece. Still trying to learn all its tricks and nuances. I am based in a location whereby I can't receive any atomic radio wave reception thus the primary mode of sync will be via GPS. I know that the watch will try to sync with radio wave from 12-5am. Hence in the morning when I did a sync result check (i.e. pressing the lower right button), I will get a "No" result eventhough on the previous day I have done a manual GPS time sync and a "Yes" was recorded. This confirm that the watch tried a RC sync at night during the stipulated timeframe.

Now, my question is how do I confirm that the watch did an auto GPS sync? The manual states that from 6-10am it will do so provided that it senses adequate light for 2 minutes. This morning, I stood out in the open directly under the sun for more than 2 minutes with the dial facing upward without seeing any activity. A press on the lower right button still return a "No". In the end I did a manual GPS time sync and succeeded.

#279 ·
On E-33 of the manual, it states that you need to have had a successful radio time reception the previous night for automatic GPS time reception to occur during the day.

#280 ·
hi, i live in a place where theres no radio control signal as well so i always rely on GPS.
i tried this morning and it can auto sync GPS.
i tried to compare it with the Astron , both work
the astron immidiatelly try to sync with GPS as soon as the watch see an open sky / shone by the sunlight.
the GPW however not imidiatelly sync its time.
just wait about 1-2 minutes under open sky in bright daylight, and the second hand will move to "time" and the (day hand) will move up and down) after few seconds the second hand moves to YES. and the time will be synced.
hope it helps.

#285 ·
GPS time sync is pretty fast and easy
GPS time + position sync takes a bit longer.
The very first time it could take a good 15 minutes, if it has to get "leap second" information.
Once the watch has established it's location, or if you set it manually, then the time sync will happen very quickly and easily.

When outside and/or in view of the sky, press and hold the bottom right button for 1 second, until the first beep. That's GPS time sync mode. The second hand moves to "time" and sits until it goes to either "yes" or "no."
If you hold that button for 4 seconds, it goes into "T+P" mode. That is where the latitude hand starts to cycle up and down trying to triangulate your position. For that you should probably take the watch off and set it so it is facing up.

#294 · (Edited)
@nelamvr6

Interesting, maybe I should do that side by side to verify.

But I guess a lot can influence the time needed to sync. From my experience with the Astron, if I did a time+position sync from the same location I did previously, the sync is much faster. However, if the previous sync was done in a different location/city, it will take a little longer to complete (even though the time zone is the same). I believe the watch has a built-in memory of its last location which is used during the next sync as a reference check & if you in the same location it verifies quicker. Similar to a handheld/car GPS like the Garmin, Papago etc.

Of course other factors such as intensity of light, weather, how open is the location etc does affect each watch differently I would presume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: nelamvr6
#295 ·
LP
@nelamvr6

Interesting, maybe I should do that side by side to verify.

But I guess a lot can influence the time needed to sync. From my experience with the Astron, if I did a time+position sync from the same location I did previously, the sync is much faster. However, if the previous sync was done in a different location/city, it will take a little longer to complete (even though the time zone is the same). I believe the watch has a built-in memory of its last location which is used during the next sync as a reference check & if you in the same location it verifies quicker. Similar to a handheld/car GPS like the Garmin, Papago etc.

Of course other factors such as intensity of light, weather, how open is the location etc does affect each watch differently I would presume.

All true. Be sure to post the results of your experiment...

#296 · (Edited)
Just got my GPW1000FC-1A9 today!!

After owning the GWA1100, I now know that this is the watch I should have had all along.

Question, does anyone know if the regular resin bands can be purchased separately? I'd love to get my hands on one to switch things up from time to time.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Black Wrist

#297 ·
Just got my GPW1000FC-1A9 today!!

After owning the GWA1100, I now know that this is the watch I should have had all along.

Question, does anyone know if the regular resin bands can be purchased separately? I'd love to get my hands on one to switch things up from time to time.

View attachment 3239346
Congrats! Sure, you can get the resin bands thru pac parts.

#298 ·
GPW-1000-RAF ................................................... 21 watches (LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Time4playnow, Timesurfer, Showtime240, Spyharpy, D1cky986, Sengyoku, Raff_Christ, Chypmun77, RHJones, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Yto1312, Jantyc, Hein W, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Phantasm, Gizzmo, JohnQFord)

GPW-1000-4A ..................................................... 15 watches (iJeff, Kawei, JonL, Timesurfer(2), Altan, D1cky986, Superflask, GeSte, Tgdtown, Raff_Christ, JohnQFord, Aydrian, Mrcrooka1, Foxman2k)

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 13 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Phreddo, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11)

GPW-1000-1B ..................................................... 12 watches (Steelinox, Knives and Lint, D1cky986, John_Harrison, Bulldog1, Shms59, aRogue, Chrisboy, Wotch, Stan54, Emergency, Ericwanch)

GPW-1000-2A ...................................................... 9 watches (Gripmaster, Time4playnow, JonL, D1cky986, Erikm82, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Heuer_1153, GrafiXepressions, Mrcrooka1)

GPW-1000FC-1A9 ................................................. 3 watches (Time4playnow, JonL, TG8OH7)

GPW-1000FC-1A .................................................. 1 watch (10-Dee-Q)

Together ............................................................ 74 watches

GGGGPPPPWWWW - Timesurfer, D1cky986 (4 watches)
GGGPPPWWW - Time4playnow, JonL (3 watches)
GGPPWW - Gripmaster, Raff_Christ, Mrcrooka1, JohnQFord (2 watches)
GPW - iJeff, Kawei, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Spyharpy, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Phreddo, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, TG8OH7 (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa

#300 ·
GPW-1000-RAF ................................................... 22 watches (LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Time4playnow, Timesurfer, Showtime240, Spyharpy, D1cky986, Sengyoku, Raff_Christ, Chypmun77, RHJones, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Yto1312, Jantyc, Hein W, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Phantasm, Gizzmo, JohnQFord, Kawei)

GPW-1000-4A ..................................................... 15 watches (iJeff, Kawei, JonL, Timesurfer(2), Altan, D1cky986, Superflask, GeSte, Tgdtown, Raff_Christ, JohnQFord, Aydrian, Mrcrooka1, Foxman2k)

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 13 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Phreddo, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11)

GPW-1000-1B ..................................................... 12 watches (Steelinox, Knives and Lint, D1cky986, John_Harrison, Bulldog1, Shms59, aRogue, Chrisboy, Wotch, Stan54, Emergency, Ericwanch)

GPW-1000-2A ...................................................... 9 watches (Gripmaster, Time4playnow, JonL, D1cky986, Erikm82, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Heuer_1153, GrafiXepressions, Mrcrooka1)

GPW-1000FC-1A9 ................................................. 3 watches (Time4playnow, JonL, TG8OH7)

GPW-1000FC-1A .................................................. 1 watch (10-Dee-Q)

Together ............................................................ 75 watches

GGPPWW - Gripmaster, Raff_Christ, Mrcrooka1, JohnQFord, Kawei (2 watches)
GPW - iJeff, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Spyharpy, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Phreddo, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, TG8OH7 (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa

#303 ·
GPW-1000-RAF ................................................... 22 watches (LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Time4playnow, Timesurfer, Showtime240, Spyharpy, D1cky986, Sengyoku, Raff_Christ, Chypmun77, RHJones, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Yto1312, Jantyc, Hein W, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Phantasm, Gizzmo, JohnQFord, Kawei)

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 14 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Phreddo, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Steven68)

Together ............................................................ 76 watches

GPW - iJeff, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Spyharpy, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Phreddo, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, TG8OH7, Steven68 (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa

#307 ·
The most obvious thing to check is whether you have your home city (time zone) correctly set for the signal reception. If that is correct, try a "T&P" GPS signal reception.

If that still doesn't work, then possibly when you adjusted the settings manually, you incorrectly set the year/day/date? (& maybe the GPS signal reception does not override those settings??)

#314 ·
As promised some videos comparing the sync duration between the Beast and the Seiko Astron.

1st Video - Autosync - sorry about the video orientation - taken with my iPhone. This is to test how soon the watches will sync when expose to adequate light for the 1st time during the day. As can been seen, the Astron starts to sync around 6sec into the video. It did a time sync only (indicated by the sec hand moving to 12h position & the indicator in the top subdial moving to '1' which mean it will look for just 1 satellite, also the sec hand with move to 1h position once it located the 1 satellite needed). Once sync complete the sec hand will move to 12min position marked with a Y indicating yes. The whole process took around 17s in this test. In this comparison the Beast has yet to react even when the Astron is done.

For the time & position sync comparison, I recorded 2 videos separately as I was alone so can't operate both watches together.

2nd Video - Beast Time + Position Sync.
7s into the video, the Beast starts the T+P sync after pressing & hold the bottom right button. It completed the sync around 33s later.

3rd Video - Astron Time + Position Sync.
On the Astron this is done by pressing and holding the top right button. The sec hand will move to 12h position (time sync only) and if kept holding the button will move to 6h position (T+P sync). On the top subdial the indicator will move to '4+' which mean it will search for 4 or more satellites needed to determine position. Once started the sec hand will move to show how many satellites are located. From the video, the sync started 6s into the test after press & hold the top right button. As can be seen it located 4 satellites and then 5 satellites shown by the sec hand moving from 4h to 5h position. The sync was completed after 32s when the sec hand moved to 12min position marked with Y showing yes.

Thus both the watches took around the same duration to achieve sync in my test today. However, I would reckon many factors will affect the result and if I repeat the test again on other day, different result may come up. But one thing is for sure that the Astron does initiate auto time sync faster.

There you go folks! HAGWE

#316 ·
Yes it is.

GPW-1000 : 66×56×18.8mm/126g
GXW-56 : 55.5×53.6×17.5mm/88g

Reactions: Time4Playnow
#319 ·
#318 ·

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 15 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Phreddo, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Steven68, Rwhite692)

Together ............................................................ 77 watches

GPW - iJeff, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Spyharpy, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Phreddo, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, TG8OH7, Steven68, Rwhite692 (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa

#321 ·

GPW-1000-1A ..................................................... 15 watches (Gripmaster, Olyeller68, Timesurfer, Sleeman, GunSmoke16610, Meridian, Phreddo, Eric5964, Boska, Andyahs, Shaggy2002, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Steven68, Rwhite692)

GPW-1000-2A ..................................................... 10 watches (Gripmaster, Time4playnow, JonL, D1cky986, Erikm82, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Heuer_1153, GrafiXepressions, Mrcrooka1, Andyahs)

Together ............................................................ 78 watches

GGPPWW - Gripmaster, Raff_Christ, Mrcrooka1, JohnQFord, Kawei, Andyahs (2 watches)
GPW - iJeff, LukeDuke100, Cbrbamby09, Steelinox, Knives and Lint, Olyeller68, Showtime240, Spyharpy, Altan, John_Harrison, Sleeman, Superflask, Sengyoku, GeSte, Tgdtown, GunSmoke16610, Erikm82, Chypmun77, RHJones, FilipinoTimeIsOnTime, Bulldog1, Scottydoesnt, Adam020, Shms59, aRogue, Meridian, Phreddo, Yto1312, Jantyc, Eric5964, Chrisboy, Hein W, Boska, Wotch, Flyjakey, VigilantRaven, Shaggy2002, Emergency, Phantasm, Heuer_1153, Nelamvr6, Drash11, Gizzmo, GrafiXepressions, Aydrian, 10-Dee-Q, Foxman2k, Ericwanch, TG8OH7, Steven68, Rwhite692 (1 watch)

Cheers, Piowa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.