GW9400RD-4 Rangeman VS. G9300RD-4 Mudman
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By gripmaster
  • 3 Post By gripmaster
  • 1 Post By GlowingWatch

Thread: GW9400RD-4 Rangeman VS. G9300RD-4 Mudman

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    94

    GW9400RD-4 Rangeman VS. G9300RD-4 Mudman

    Alright, I've finally come down to a final decision. It's now between these two; GW9400RD-4 Rangeman and G9300RD-4 Mudman. Like I said in my previous posts, I do go outdoors a lot and want something that can handle falls. Will be taking it mountain biking, snowboarding, hiking, swimming etc.. Now, one thing I have heard and I do want to clarify this, people complain that the Rangeman straps fall off? I do not want to lose a 250 dollar watch when I'm swimming, thus right now I'm leaning towards the Mudman. Also, note that I have a 7 inch wrist and could see that the Rangeman is a pretty big watch. Will it be too big and bulky on me, so would the Mudman suit me better?

    For features, I honestly do want an altimeter, barometer, thermometer and compass but it isn't necessary (which the Rangeman has all). Opinions would be appreciated; try not to be biased towards one or another. Sorry If it seems like I am. It's just the things I've heard of the Rangeman aren't really good. Again, I have no experience with both of them so I need some good advice.

    Cheers, Ari

  2. #2
    Member gripmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mostly Mountains
    Posts
    2,736

    Re: GW9400RD-4 Rangeman VS. G9300RD-4 Mudman

    Quote Originally Posted by GlowingWatch View Post
    Alright, I've finally come down to a final decision. It's now between these two; GW9400RD-4 Rangeman and G9300RD-4 Mudman. Like I said in my previous posts, I do go outdoors a lot and want something that can handle falls. Will be taking it mountain biking, snowboarding, hiking, swimming etc.. Now, one thing I have heard and I do want to clarify this, people complain that the Rangeman straps fall off? I do not want to lose a 250 dollar watch when I'm swimming, thus right now I'm leaning towards the Mudman. Also, note that I have a 7 inch wrist and could see that the Rangeman is a pretty big watch. Will it be too big and bulky on me, so would the Mudman suit me better?

    For features, I honestly do want an altimeter, barometer, thermometer and compass but it isn't necessary (which the Rangeman has all). Opinions would be appreciated; try not to be biased towards one or another. Sorry If it seems like I am. It's just the things I've heard of the Rangeman aren't really good. Again, I have no experience with both of them so I need some good advice.

    Cheers, Ari

    Nice options there, I can only speak from my own experience which is : Rangeman in use since it first came out, altohether I have 7 of them I think, and they all come along Trailrunning, mountaineering and on the bike as well... The Rangeman is certainly my most used of all my G-Shocks.
    In my little personal focus group, there has not been any straps coming off. I have no mechanical complaints on this watch so far.

    Having a fair number of Mudmen in the collection as well, I can only tell you why I do not wear this one much, while I wear the Rangeman all the time. Of course the Altimeter is the major point missing in the Mudman for me who is in the mountains all the time. So point Rangeman.
    Secondly, the buttons on the Mudman are so hard to push, it is not, for me, an "action watch". I need / want to be able to just press buttons on the move to switch from altimeter to stopwatch, glance at the watch, be informed, and keep moving. Especially now in winter with gloves, thats a double point for Rangeman.

    On the size subject: now I have no idea what my wrist size is, even less in inches! but I do know I have small wrists. Rangeman fits me just fine, from a shape point of view it even fits better than the Mudman. Of course Mudman is lower and kind of more compact... thats a matter of taste, I think, I even like to take the huge Gulfmasters for running, and those outsize the Rangeman. My take on this is, dont over-estimate pure size as a decision making factor, but check which actually fits better!
    To me, a 1000 series Frogman is a better fit and more comfortable on my personal wrist than a small Mudman or even a GA-100... and from the pure numbers, one really shouldnt expect that!
    So if you have a chance to try them both on, that would be very helpful!
    On the functionality, Rangeman does beat Mudman, there's no doubt for me.
    On the reliability, I cant report any problems, and am on my way actually to get my next Rangeman, as I want my Rescue red to become a positive, for better readability...

    here's my red Ranger in action:

    Another summit, another Rangeman | G-Shock Visions

    and one on the go:

    Name:  20141223_162900_resized-2-900.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  203.1 KB

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    94

    Re: GW9400RD-4 Rangeman VS. G9300RD-4 Mudman

    Quote Originally Posted by gripmaster View Post

    Name:  20141223_162900_resized-2-900.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  203.1 KB
    Appreciate the very informative and in depth reply! You definitely convinced me to get the Rangeman. However, I noticed one thing. Sorry if this seems picky; I've always been a picky person and need everything to be perfect ;). In the picture, I can see that the bottom right screw is a different color. Is that because you had to change it due to it falling out?

    Cheers, Ari

  4. #4
    Member gripmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mostly Mountains
    Posts
    2,736

    Re: GW9400RD-4 Rangeman VS. G9300RD-4 Mudman

    Quote Originally Posted by GlowingWatch View Post
    Appreciate the very informative and in depth reply! You definitely convinced me to get the Rangeman. However, I noticed one thing. Sorry if this seems picky; I've always been a picky person and need everything to be perfect ;). In the picture, I can see that the bottom right screw is a different color. Is that because you had to change it due to it falling out?

    Cheers, Ari
    "No screws were lost during the making of this picture..."
    just kidding!

    Name:  20141223_162355_resized-2-1000.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  199.7 KB

    No, thats a matter of lightning here. All 7 Rangemen in my personal Army have their original 4 screws.
    I also havent heard of anyone losing them. I have had to take them all out for a bezel swap ony my navy Rangeman and that was so damn
    hard, I doubt one can ever lose any of those screws!
    I am a fan of the Rangeman theres no doubt about that, only actual issue I have with this watch is readability in the negative display models. but that goes
    for any negative G-Shock.
    So I am transforming some of my negative models into positives. But as I said, mountainrunners have no time to stop and look at their watches, so thats
    just me. many here in the forum have no issues with the neg. displays, and there's been numerous threads on this subject.

    ok one more then....
    my first Rangeman has had the toughest life of them all...

    Name:  DSC_6672-2-1000.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  230.7 KB

    Name:  DSC_6674-2-1000.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  267.0 KB

    Name:  DSC_6787-2-1000.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  189.3 KB

    Name:  DSC_6770-2-1000.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  192.7 KB

    Name:  DSC_6779-2-1000.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  107.5 KB
    Last edited by gripmaster; December 25th, 2014 at 09:34.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    94

    Re: GW9400RD-4 Rangeman VS. G9300RD-4 Mudman

    Haha, alright thanks again! I'm certainly going to be getting the Rangeman and looking forward to using it. Appreciate all the information. Definitely helped me pick the best one of the two. Especially for what I will be using it for!

    Cheers, Ari
    Last edited by GlowingWatch; December 26th, 2014 at 00:48.
    gripmaster likes this.

  6. #6
    Member Kev0417's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    910

    Re: GW9400RD-4 Rangeman VS. G9300RD-4 Mudman

    Yeah can't go wrong with the Rangeman, it is about the perfect fit for my 6.75 inch wrist. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1000 Frogman but it seems to wear larger probably because of the asymmetrical design.

    You be the judge:



    Last edited by Kev0417; December 29th, 2014 at 05:46.
    Hidden Content

    Ω Omega Constellation Perpetual Calendar
    Ω Omega Seamaster Professional
    Ω Connie f300 Electronic
    Mixa Automatic
    Casio Chronograph World Cup 2006 Edition
    Casio G-Shock Frogman GF-1000-1DR
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-3CR
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Mudman or Rangeman ???
      By SMP_DON in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: February 18th, 2015, 23:53
    2. Any difference between g9300rd-4er & g9300rd
      By TNUTZ in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: December 11th, 2014, 09:07
    3. And difference between g9300rd-4er & g9300rd-4
      By TNUTZ in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: December 11th, 2014, 08:59
    4. Any difference between g9300rd-4er & g9300rd
      By TNUTZ in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: December 10th, 2014, 09:49
    5. RANGEMAN or MUDMAN??
      By badjujumatt in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: March 19th, 2014, 14:47

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •