WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

GWF-1000 vs GWF-D1000...need purchase advice

24K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Time4Playnow 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So, I see the prices of the GWF-D1000 are starting to subside a little. However, upon doing some research, it appears the new Frogman still has the old technology underneath? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of the two, but wonder if the price of the new D1000 is justifiable if the older GWF-1000 has mostly similar internals at half the cost? I can get a GWF-1000 for under $400 whereas the GWF-D1000 is hovering around $900 on average. So, I need all of you Frogman loyalist to please educate me and give me advice on pros/cons of each and how I should proceed. I really appreciate it!!

#2 · (Edited)
Here's a good video by a youtube G-Shock reviewer from Japan. Seems that the only really issues with the new Frogman is - price and the super long strap. When you see him try it on he has quite a lot of extra strap sticking up. He does have smaller wrists, maybe 6.5"? Not sure. If you have smaller wrists it might bother you.

Everything else about the new one is awesome and amazing. Way more features and my favorite of all - sapphire crystal. As far as technology, the new one is far more advanced than the old one. The new one has a triple sensor, kind of like a Rangeman, but the features work in water instead of on land.

Either one would be really nice and enjoyable for you. That you can be sure of.

I'm sure some other people will chime in on this too. Last week I got the older model, GWF-1000. Mainly due to the shorter strap and lower price on this older model. I also like how the older one looks. Someday I will probably get the newer one also, just because it is so nice and has newer features.

#4 ·
Thanks so much for the reply, and from the pictures and videos I have seen, it appears that maybe the GWF-1000 wears better than the newer D1000? The sapphire crystal is a nice addition, but certainly not a "must have" for an additional $500 give or take. I was curious if the other internal features justify the price point. I can afford the newer model, but if the features, wearability, and other factors don't substantially out way the GWF-1000, then I would rather save the $500 and place it towards other G-shocks or vices of mine :)

#5 ·
For me - the GWF-1000 wears better and fits better. I dont like the extra long strap as noted in various threads already. For the price you are not just getting sapphire glass though, adding a compass and depth sensor (no matter how gimmicky) is also a part of the price increase as is the Carbon Fiber infused band. None of those from my point a view justify the asking price if you are looking at it from a "purpose" point of view being a dive watch when for the same cost you can get an actual wrist dive computer that also doubles as a watch....

We could walk in circles and circles around this topic for days, weeks and months - it will boil down to personal opinion and want. If you want the latest and greatest in the frogman line - it is in fact the most featured one to date, I personally think the GWF-1000 is a better for fit for most and at a much better price.

#6 ·
GWF-1000 all the way for me. Looks better, wears absolutely amazing. Price (compared to newer was not a factor), i still paid $1200 for my GWF-1000BP.
Newer Frogman screen is plain borring, like $60 G-Shock.
Maybe someday ill be interesting if they will come up with more interesting colors, but as of today, don't care about depth meter enough to spend $800, cause i know how deep is my pool.

#13 ·
I'm not a diver so I won't touch the arguments for/against either Frogman as a dive watch.

They are both awesome Frogs. Today, you get a pretty good value if you can find a reasonably priced GWF-1000. But, the D1000 does give some substantial upgrades - the c/f strap, the depth meter, the compass, the time stamp button, surfacing alert feature, sapphire crystal, and what appears to be a sharper/more legible display. Naturally you will pay more for all that, especially on a much newer model.

I own both, & like Worker said, either one is a good choice.

#17 ·
I vote for the GWF-1000 because of the classic look! lol

Just kidding around btw! I like both quite a lot.

Someday I'll have this new one too. It's too cool to pass up.

Maybe at my 1 year anniversary of a very important date to me. At 5 months already, only 7 more to go!

#19 ·
I've had my GWF-1000G for some time and a while back I went to handle the GWF-D1000B and it's definitely more solid-feeling, also heavier too. Honestly, the D1000B does indeed look better with all the improved innards, but the price is quite a put-off for me, costs over SGD$400 (almost US$300) more than what costed me for the 1000G, both at RRP.

Though very tempted to buy, but couldn't bear to spend that kind of money since I don't dive as well, hence the depth meter will be useless.

So yeah...will just stick to my 1000G for now, though the new Frogman seems to be more popular now.

#24 ·
So far the only two frog1k 2.0 models which I got interested in are the GWF-D1000B and NV, and I just pulled the trigger on the NV due to the color and due to the various inner voices I have screaming in my head (or maybe it's just the usual suspects from f17). I have already tried the watch at a store and prefer the fit compared to the frog1k 1.0, tails sticking out even further and all. The tail tip of the strap now looks more like a submarine fin/tower instead of a shark fin, and I like that too. Perhaps the only edge the old 1k has is the better looking display and the EL instead of LED, but those aren't deal breakers for me. Price is not really a factor, since it's been at least 5 years since the 1k 1.0 came out so it's not really apple to apple. But if you are indeed able to get an old 1k for $400 then it's a sound purchase, down here some are still selling the even older GW-200s for that price (granted those are mint, tags-still-attached examples).

#27 ·
Hi All,

I own both the GWF and the GWF D and overall in my opinion the GWF D is just a better quality Frogman than the GWF. Which do I prefer? The GWF probably. It sits neater on the wrist and realistically the extra functions on the D model are never used in the real world. If you have a smaller wrist, forget the new D model. I have a 7 1/2 inch wrist and it sits fine but any smaller and it's just too big. To complicate matters further for you, I just bought the GWN Q Gulfmaster, and I love it. I know its a different beast but similar size and can pretty much do everything the D frogman can do and more. More comfortable to wear as well and sapphire glass. Really, my view on all these watches is to buy them, try them and if you don't like sell them. It's a very personal decision and what suits you may not suit me. The most important thing for me is comfort, looks and easy to see the time. Sounds obvious but not always the case. I buy anything up to 3 or 4 watches a week. Use them and sell them when still mint. So, as an example, I bought the Gulfmaster on eBay 2 weeks ago. Its a mint used one about 6 months old and barely worn. Watch is about €900 in the shops in Ireland. I got it with all paperwork including original receipt and authorized stamped warranty card for €415 delivered to my door. I will keep it for about 3 months and enjoy it. If its exceptional, I'll keep it in my collection. If not, its sold for about €450 to €500. You can't go wrong. The 2 GWF's were the same but have been kept. Both bought discounted so worst case a lose a few bob but nothing major. The great thing about this system is I get to try literally 100's of watches from MRG's to Mudmasters. I have owned nearly every modern high end G Shock. For the record the MRG G1000 is my absolute favourite. I love it so much that I am actually contemplating the new limited edition bluetooth version out this year at $7400 and trust me, i'm not wealthy. Anyway, I digress but my view is very clear on these things, if you like it buy it, enjoy it and sell it on. it keeps the collection fresh all the time. You'll always hold the favourites or the sentimental ones, but for the rest, let them go. If you really miss it, buy another. But to each, their own. I ring my wife every day around 2 pm. Hi Honey, how are you? The reply, yes the postman was here and yes another package came for you. Like Christmas!! Enjoy.

#32 ·
Wow, sounds like you have a great system going there! Sadly, this will not work for those of us in the U.S. - at least if the sale of the watch is limited to others in the U.S. I know this because I have sold a fair amount on Ebay, and many people here seem to want to get something for nothing. Or, buy a G for nowhere near what it's worth. So even if I buy a new G at a good price and sell it in mint condition, I won't get anything close to what I paid for it...

I once had a guy try to convince me that a GPW-1000-2AJF in mint condition should sell for $300 or less. ha! New, that watch sold for between $800-900. I held out but still only got $400-something for it, and this was after it was listed for awhile.

Anyhow, good for you! Enjoy that $7400 MR-G if you get it!! :-!

#28 ·
Hi All,

I own both the GWF and the GWF D and overall in my opinion the GWF D is just a better quality Frogman than the GWF. Which do I prefer? The GWF probably. It sits neater on the wrist and realistically the extra functions on the D model are never used in the real world. If you have a smaller wrist, forget the new D model. I have a 7 1/2 inch wrist and it sits fine but any smaller and it's just too big. To complicate matters further for you, I just bought the GWN Q Gulfmaster, and I love it. I know its a different beast but similar size and can pretty much do everything the D frogman can do and more. More comfortable to wear as well and sapphire glass. Really, my view on all these watches is to buy them, try them and if you don't like sell them. It's a very personal decision and what suits you may not suit me. The most important thing for me is comfort, looks and easy to see the time. Sounds obvious but not always the case. I buy anything up to 3 or 4 watches a week. Use them and sell them when still mint. So, as an example, I bought the Gulfmaster on eBay 2 weeks ago. Its a mint used one about 6 months old and barely worn. Watch is about €900 in the shops in Ireland. I got it with all paperwork including original receipt and authorized stamped warranty card for €415 delivered to my door. I will keep it for about 3 months and enjoy it. If its exceptional, I'll keep it in my collection. If not, its sold for about €450 to €500. You can't go wrong. The 2 GWF's were the same but have been kept. Both bought discounted so worst case a lose a few bob but nothing major. The great thing about this system is I get to try literally 100's of watches from MRG's to Mudmasters. I have owned nearly every modern high end G Shock. For the record the MRG G1000 is my absolute favourite. I love it so much that I am actually contemplating the new limited edition bluetooth version out this year at $7400 and trust me, i'm not wealthy. Anyway, I digress but my view is very clear on these things, if you like it buy it, enjoy it and sell it on. it keeps the collection fresh all the time. You'll always hold the favourites or the sentimental ones, but for the rest, let them go. If you really miss it, buy another. But to each, their own. I ring my wife every day around 2 pm. Hi Honey, how are you? The reply, yes the postman was here and yes another package came for you. Like Christmas!! Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.