GWF-1000 vs GWF-D1000...need purchase advice
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: GWF-1000 vs GWF-D1000...need purchase advice

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi all,

So, I see the prices of the GWF-D1000 are starting to subside a little. However, upon doing some research, it appears the new Frogman still has the old technology underneath? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of the two, but wonder if the price of the new D1000 is justifiable if the older GWF-1000 has mostly similar internals at half the cost? I can get a GWF-1000 for under $400 whereas the GWF-D1000 is hovering around $900 on average. So, I need all of you Frogman loyalist to please educate me and give me advice on pros/cons of each and how I should proceed. I really appreciate it!!
    amr ashraf likes this.

Re: GWF-1000 vs GWF-D1000...need purchase advice

Here's a good video by a youtube G-Shock reviewer from Japan. Seems that the only really issues with the new Frogman is - price and the super long strap. When you see him try it on he has quite a lot of extra strap sticking up. He does have smaller wrists, maybe 6.5"? Not sure. If you have smaller wrists it might bother you.

Everything else about the new one is awesome and amazing. Way more features and my favorite of all - sapphire crystal. As far as technology, the new one is far more advanced than the old one. The new one has a triple sensor, kind of like a Rangeman, but the features work in water instead of on land.

Either one would be really nice and enjoyable for you. That you can be sure of.

I'm sure some other people will chime in on this too. Last week I got the older model, GWF-1000. Mainly due to the shorter strap and lower price on this older model. I also like how the older one looks. Someday I will probably get the newer one also, just because it is so nice and has newer features.

Last edited by Phantasm; February 5th, 2017 at 20:50.
    GTR83 likes this.

Same advice as replied from the PM you sent me. What does your wallet say?
    Phantasm likes this.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content Originally Posted by brvheart
    No I am not OCD....I am CDO - that is OCD in the proper order Hidden Content

Thanks so much for the reply, and from the pictures and videos I have seen, it appears that maybe the GWF-1000 wears better than the newer D1000? The sapphire crystal is a nice addition, but certainly not a "must have" for an additional $500 give or take. I was curious if the other internal features justify the price point. I can afford the newer model, but if the features, wearability, and other factors don't substantially out way the GWF-1000, then I would rather save the $500 and place it towards other G-shocks or vices of mine :)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
    Here's a good video by a youtube G-Shock reviewer from Japan. Seems that the only really issues with the new Frogman is - price and the super long strap. When you see him try it on he has quite a lot of extra strap sticking up. He does have smaller wrists, maybe 6.5"? Not sure. If you have smaller wrists it might bother you.

Everything else about the new one is awesome and amazing. Way more features and my favorite of all - sapphire crystal. As far as technology, the new one is far more advanced than the old one. The new one has a triple sensor, kind of like a Rangeman, but the features work in water instead of on land.

Either one would be really nice and enjoyable for you. That you can be sure of.

I'm sure some other people will chime in on this too. Last week I got the older model, GWF-1000. Mainly due to the shorter strap and lower price on this older model. I also like how the older one looks. Someday I will probably get the newer one also, just because it is so nice and has newer features.

Phantasm likes this.

For me - the GWF-1000 wears better and fits better. I dont like the extra long strap as noted in various threads already. For the price you are not just getting sapphire glass though, adding a compass and depth sensor (no matter how gimmicky) is also a part of the price increase as is the Carbon Fiber infused band. None of those from my point a view justify the asking price if you are looking at it from a "purpose" point of view being a dive watch when for the same cost you can get an actual wrist dive computer that also doubles as a watch....

We could walk in circles and circles around this topic for days, weeks and months - it will boil down to personal opinion and want. If you want the latest and greatest in the frogman line - it is in fact the most featured one to date, I personally think the GWF-1000 is a better for fit for most and at a much better price.
    GTR83, Phantasm and Epal2Apol like this.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content Originally Posted by brvheart
    No I am not OCD....I am CDO - that is OCD in the proper order Hidden Content

GWF-1000 all the way for me. Looks better, wears absolutely amazing. Price (compared to newer was not a factor), i still paid $1200 for my GWF-1000BP.
    Newer Frogman screen is plain borring, like $60 G-Shock.
    Maybe someday ill be interesting if they will come up with more interesting colors, but as of today, don't care about depth meter enough to spend $800, cause i know how deep is my pool.

Quote Originally Posted by FJay Iceberg White View Post
    GWF-1000 all the way for me. Looks better, wears absolutely amazing. Price (compared to newer was not a factor), i still paid $1200 for my GWF-1000BP.
    Newer Frogman screen is plain borring, like $60 G-Shock.
    Maybe someday ill be interesting if they will come up with more interesting colors, but as of today, don't care about depth meter enough to spend $800, cause i know how deep is my pool.
    Whatever floats your boat but Boring, cheap display ? No Way Different yes. True Froggy lover should have at least one model of both generations imho!

Go for the gwf-1000 now, buy some bezels and bands in other colors, and have multiple flavors of the month. Wait for someone to flip the other more expensive model here on WUS. I have seen two of the standard model listed in the 700's.
    FJay Iceberg White likes this.

I can't recall a navy-yellow 1000... that's good enough reason to get a D1000 :P

Gotta get re-acquainted with the GWF-1000 and order one for myself again. I had it several years ago and returned it because I thought it was too big back then.

Fast forward to today and I have the GWF-D1000 and I love it....size and all.

I don't think you make an error in whichever you choose.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information