Thread: Hardness of coating on Oceanus Ti watches

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DHL

Hardness of coating on Oceanus Ti watches

Seems I have seen bits and pieces of discussions regarding the scratch resistance of various coatings for Ti cases and bands on this forum, but now I cannot find them.

I am trying to find out if the Oceanus Ti watches have a DLC or carbide type coating on them. I am specifically looking at the Japanese only OCW-300TDBJ-1AJF vs the American version OCW500TDA-1AV. Seems like I ran across these in discussions about Citizen DLC vs Seiko "diashield", but I cannot get any real solid confirmation. The Oceanus site does not even mention the coating. I ran across a Casio Technology document which mentions a TiC treatment on case and bands for the OCW P500 and OCW S1000 versions. Don't know if this applies to the entire product line though. Is this coating as good as the Citizen DLC?

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Re: Hardness of coating on Oceanus Ti watches

If I remember correctly, DLC should have a higher hardness value compared to TiC. DLC values range from 2000-4000 HV.

Let me get back to you on this. My brain's kinda down since I haven't utilise my materials knowledge for some time.

Cheers,
    MountainMike

Banned

I hope ima get new from this

Officially there is no hardening process of the Oceanus titan watches, I think. Only the MRGs are getting this special DLC treatment and you know Casio wants big money for doing it (OCW-T600TD is about $700 US compared to the $3000 US for the MRG-8100B, both have similar modules (maybe same).

Sibe

I have checked my Oceanus titan watch and it has no (or visible) scratch at all. I don't want to inspect it too close because there is no reason to but there are maybe a few scratches. However, since the clasp is stainless steel it is a little scratched (of course ). I wear this a lot because I like it and it is so light, 63g

I remember a few collisions but no big impacts. I think it is quite hard and compared to stainless steel mutch better in scratch resistance, if you ask me.

Sibe

Actually, Casio does use a hardening process on some of their Oceanus models. I know that there is a mention of a treatment on at least the new Manta and Cachalot models.

Mine hasn't picked up any marks yet....

DHL

Quote Originally Posted by Sibe View Post
    Officially there is no hardening process of the Oceanus titan watches, I think. Only the MRGs are getting this special DLC treatment and you know Casio wants big money for doing it (OCW-T600TD is about $700 US compared to the $3000 US for the MRG-8100B, both have similar modules (maybe same).

Sibe
    Don't think that is quite true. I tried to attach a Casio technology pdf file I have, but it wouldn't upload. In it, it describes a number of Casio products that have surface hardening for Ti. For example the MrG 8000-rg is described as having both a Ti surface hardening treatment, along with DLC. The two Oceanus models (OCW-P500, OCW-S1000) are both described as having TiC treatment. Whether this is the same as the DLC treatmtnt on the MRGs is unknown. For the Oceanus, the treatment is described as "The titanium carbide treatment employed to harden the surface of the case, caseback, and band brings out the beautiful metal colouring while protecting the metal surfaces from dents and scratches with it's excellent abrasion resistance."

It has been known that the high end Mantas versions have had this coating, but my question is whether it is applied throughout the model line of Oceanus watches.

DHL

Another stange thing I just notice about the Oceanus OCW500TLA. It is supposed to have a saphire crystal, but nothing on the caseback says saphire crystal. Is this just a Casio thing or am I missing something?

I wouldn't generally expect to see the type of crystal identified on a case-back.
    Crusader Mk1148 Damasko DA36 G-Shock GW-2310 Grand Seiko SBGX061 Jaeger-LeCoultre Memovox (1960s) Junghans Max Bill Omega Speedmaster Sinn UX Tutima Flieger Chronograph 1941 ​ Wempe Zeitmeister

DHL

Really?
    The Citizen Promaster and Seiko I own that have Saphire crystals have it printed on the caseback. The Seikos I own that have Hardlex crystals do not specify anything. The only watch I have that has a saphire crystal but does not state it is the Marathon TSAR. I think I have seen photos of the Oceanus Manta (Japanese version) that does have it cited on the caseback. Maybe it's a manufacturer's perogative, but it makes me a bit suspicious, particularly when manufacturer's are unclear about the features each model really has, case in point being the TiC/DLC issues noted above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information