Help?!? What is Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pckoh
  • 1 Post By srf52

Thread: Help?!? What is Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow

Help?!? What is Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow

Hey people
    I just ordered the GW 7900B-1 for my son.

One of the features listed is Full Auto EL backlight with "afterglow"....

I can sort of figure out what that means, but not entirely. I've searched answers.com and google searched, and all I get is a list of G Shocks which have this feature! Even Casio's site, after about five, six minutes of searching, didn't provide me with the answer.

So... all of you G Shock experts... WHAT is Full EL backlight, and what the heck is afterglow? (I assume it means the backlighting remains on for a few seconds? About the same amount of time the "afterglow" of my first marriage lasted, I'd assume )

Thanks in advance!
    Tag Heuer || Aquaracer
    Casio G Shock || GW 3000B-1A | GW 3500-1A
    Ω Omega || Seamaster Planet Ocean XL 2200.51.00
    Ball || Engineer Hydrocarbon Spacemaster (white dial)
    Baume et Mercier || Unknown
    Seiko
    || Bell-Matic
    Lüm-Tec ||V Series 1/3 Custom

Re: Help?!? What is Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow

your right about the afterglow. auto el automatically turns on the light when you put the watch on an angel. oops not an angel but angle. hahahahaha! another cool feature of that watch actually is the light flash which flashes the light when an alarm turns on. thats a very nice watch im sure your son will love it.

peace,

miguel

Quote Originally Posted by g-shocka View Post
    your right about the afterglow. auto el automatically turns on the light when you put the watch on an angel. oops not an angel but angle. hahahahaha! another cool feature of that watch actually is the light flash which flashes the light when an alarm turns on. thats a very nice watch im sure your son will love it.

peace,

miguel
    Miguel
    Thanks!

Does the watch also know enough NOT to turn on the backlight (and use up battery life) when it's light in the room, or when the watch is outdoors? I'd assume that Casio would have that figured out... and set it up so that backlighting only comes on when needed.

Thanks!
    Tag Heuer || Aquaracer
    Seiko
    || Bell-Matic

Quote Originally Posted by Shel View Post
    Miguel
    Thanks!

Does the watch also know enough NOT to turn on the backlight (and use up battery life) when it's light in the room, or when the watch is outdoors? I'd assume that Casio would have that figured out... and set it up so that backlighting only comes on when needed.

Thanks!
    no problem! yup the full auto illuminator detects surrounding light and deactivates the function if its bright enough. the auto el feature can also be turned on or off at will. i actually have that feature in a number of my watches but i leave them all off.

peace,

miguel

Your GW-7900 is solar powered and atomic.

Hence it will have 'Full Auto EL'. All Solar powered versions of G's and Protreks will have this (because the presence of the solar panel's photo-voltaic cells, they are used as the light sensors too apart for charging the battery).

I have a G-7900 Lithium powered. It only has 'Auto EL'.

As some have commented above, Auto EL is a function that will automatically turn on the EL when you tilt your wrist 40 degrees or more.

After-glow as you have guessed is a function that allows the light to stay on for a short time after it first turns on. In some models you can actually specify how long you want it to glow (my G-7900 can stay on for 5 secs. I have not experienced this feature for solar powered models).

For 'Full Auto', it can sense the light intensity and hence automatically turn on or off the 'Auto' function by itself - if you have 'activated' it. The "A-EL" letters will appear on your watch face in time keeping mode.

For Auto-EL, when this function is activated, it cannot sense the light intensity (lack of photo-voltaic cells) so it will turn on the EL even during bright daylight. But Casio has built in a precaution less you drain the battery too fast. The 'Auto-EL' function will turn off by itself after 6 hours. I have this on my G-7900 and GD-100, to my pleasant surprise, my G-9100 Gulfman too even though it did not mention this in the manual.

Hope I didn't confuse you.
    2gee likes this.

Miguel
    Thanks!

Thanks!
    Yescerritos, the 'FULL' part of the description refers to the intelligent Auto EL. EL is the lume, AUTO is the motion sensor and FULL is the light sensor. I think I read somewhere that the light threshold is about 5 lux.
    2gee likes this.

yours is a solar version so i dont think this model has a display flasher.

Thanks to all of you!

I now completely understand what Full Auto EL is, and it sounds like an amazingly useful feature!

Hum... maybe *I* should keep the watch! (Nah... already told my 12 year old that I ordered it for him!)

He's been wanting this watch for a while. Like father, like son! Guess I should be glad he's not been asking for a Breitling... well, not yet.
    Tag Heuer || Aquaracer
    Seiko
    || Bell-Matic

I now completely understand what Full Auto EL is, and it sounds like an amazingly useful feature!
    That is a matter of opinion and mostly a matter how the watch is worn. if you wear a solar watch with "full auto el" under a sleeve or jacket, everytime you tilt your wrist it will go off for no reason. This will help you quite fast to drain the battery, but since not much light is coming through the clothes, recharging at the same time is not given. I much prefer the "auto el" of non-solar watches, which shuts down automatically after six hours. this method is much more battery friendly- and safe.

cheers
    The big difference between an analog and a digital watch:

- An analog watch is an interpreter (about 10-11 minutes to eleven)
    - A digital watch leaves no room for interpretation but only facts (10:58:50)

Thread Information