Thread: How do you polish the crystal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you polish the crystal?

I don't know how to do and don't know anyone who does... or do I. I have a watch that needs the crystal buffed or polished bad.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Casios:
    BG-182V-1V#DB-34H (needs forward button)#3 DW-003-9V 1597#DW-003-4V 1597#DW-004 Xtreme 1826#DW-5600E 1545#DW-6630B-9 1199#2 DW-6900 1289#DW 6900 1557#DW-6900WCJ-9ER (FIFA)#5 F-91W (4 need batts)#G-2300 2184 (won't turn on)#G-2500 2266 (looking for a new module)#TRW-100 (Needs new seal...leaks)#W-93H (Crystal and screws)Fossils:FS-3042Relics:ZR-11431 (bat)Mathey Tissots:MT-MGSRB-4081 (bat & crystal)

Re: How do you polish the crystal?

if the crystal is made of plastic, you have a fairly good chance to polish it with toothpaste successfully. if its made of mineral or even harder material, there is nothing you can do but to replace it.

regards, holger

Well I really dont polish or buff the crystals on my watchs. I do however clean the watch crystal with a microfiber cleaning cloth. You can get micro fiber cleaning cloths at radio shack, staples, office max etc.
    NFW AutoPilot, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr II 44 mm Automatic., Seiko "BFS" SNKF09. Seiko "Spork" SRP043K. TAWATEC E.O. DIVER, Casio GA100-1A1 & lots of G-Shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    if the crystal is made of plastic, you have a fairly good chance to polish it with toothpaste successfully. if its made of mineral or even harder material, there is nothing you can do but to replace it.

regards, holger
    It has some pretty deep scratches on it... does Casio sell crystals... never tried to order one before.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Casios:
    BG-182V-1V#DB-34H (needs forward button)#3 DW-003-9V 1597#DW-003-4V 1597#DW-004 Xtreme 1826#DW-5600E 1545#DW-6630B-9 1199#2 DW-6900 1289#DW 6900 1557#DW-6900WCJ-9ER (FIFA)#5 F-91W (4 need batts)#G-2300 2184 (won't turn on)#G-2500 2266 (looking for a new module)#TRW-100 (Needs new seal...leaks)#W-93H (Crystal and screws)Fossils:FS-3042Relics:ZR-11431 (bat)Mathey Tissots:MT-MGSRB-4081 (bat & crystal)

Well on my non g shock casio atomic that has a plastic crystal I got quite a deep gouge in it last year, seeing as it wat cheap I experimented and tried some silvo(brasso's less abrasive brother) Incredible is the only word, I really thought I would make it worse but what in fact happened was a superbe finish, very shiny and not even the swirls that are sometimes see even on new watch crystals. However it did not work on mineral glass! I did read somewhere but I can't find it now that there is a substance availible that will polish scratches out of mineral and sapphire glass!

All the best,
    Ian.

"My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by mansrow View Post
    those products are nothing but a waste of money, sorry

regards, holger

Here's a DIY kit for glass and plastic crystal buffing that I have not tried.
    Looks like some dremel bits, high grit sandpaper pads, a cloth and some polish.
    If it works it's not a bad deal for $30, I'm tempted to try it but I don't have a dremel.

http://www.contenti.com/products/wat...s/503-100.html

Beware: the pin on Keep Your Watch In Prestine Condition !!! is made of glassfibre.
    DON'T touch that white point, because it will penetrate your skin and because it is glass (very fine fibres) you can't see it under your skin. Very painfull, believe me.

Dremel-tools can be useful, but the high rotationspeeds can cause a lot of heat (friction) and destroy your PU parts.

Another No No is 'diamond-polish'/'diamond-paste': it will scratch your crystal like craz:

Worth a try (but time consuming): special metal polish at carshops or very fine sanding paper*

*Beware: I mean fine, that means grid 6000 - 12000 or even more.
    Available in some hardware stores/modeling shops/etc.
    Sand it wet (for example: under water) and start with low grid (6000-8000), higher grid means finer results. In circulair direction and a lot of patient!

Other people tried Scotch Brite (or something like that): in my opinion much to coarse.

Good luck
    Tempus omnia revelat

TTT

Quote Originally Posted by Flexofiel View Post
    Other people tried Scotch Brite (or something like that): in my opinion much to coarse.
    Yeah, don't use a scotch brite pad on your crystal, I used one to get a nice 'brushed' finish on the steel on my SS diver, but you don't want a 'brushed' finish on your crystal
    With all the products in the link someone posted above, it says 'plastic crystals,' I think. Basically, you'd need something about the hardness of sapphire or diamond to polish a mineral glass crystal, and that's probably going to be expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information