How long do new batteries last in storage?

Thread: How long do new batteries last in storage?

Question How long do new batteries last in storage?

I've come into possession of a couple of new (still in their packets) watch batteries, but I may not have a use for them for years. How long can new watch batteries be stored for?

Re: How long do new batteries last in storage?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    I've come into possession of a couple of new (still in their packets) watch batteries, but I may not have a use for them for years. How long can new watch batteries be stored for?
    There is usually a date somewhere on the blister package. Batteries being sold now carry dates as far away as 2017. Considering that Casio sells G-SHOCKs with a "10 year battery", this sounds perfectly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by MRG-1000 View Post
    There is usually a date somewhere on the blister package. Batteries being sold now carry dates as far away as 2017. Considering that Casio sells G-SHOCKs with a "10 year battery", this sounds perfectly reasonable.
    These ones are are around their used by date.

How long can batteries last in reality? Is there any reason they wouldn't last much longer than their used by date and be perfectly good?

Wrap them in their original package Mark the date on them (don't open them!!) in Aluminum foil and stick them in the back of your freezer, this should keep them fresh for years.My grandfather used to do this all the time and when he went on to a better place there were some from the late 1970's (he marked the date on them) in his freezer and they were good as new. Granted they were Double A, 9 Volt etc (regular house hold batteries) but they should work the same principal

Cheers

Leon

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Eckell View Post
    Wrap them in their original package Mark the date on them (don't open them!!) in Aluminum foil and stick them in the back of your freezer, this should keep them fresh for years.My grandfather used to do this all the time and when he went on to a better place there were some from the late 1970's (he marked the date on them) in his freezer and they were good as new. Granted they were Double A, 9 Volt etc (regular house hold batteries) but they should work the same principal

Cheers

Leon
    I've heard of people doing this but I thought it was a bit of a myth. Why do freezing conditions extend battery life if you know?

TTT

It slows down the chemical reaction that batteries use to generate electricity. There's still some conductivity going on even if the terminals aren't connected. That's why some electronic gear won't work if you take it for a nice little holiday to Siberia.
    Also, I'd assume it slows down the 'decay' of the chemicals in the battery, as well as the casing etc.

This is also why photographers put their film in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    It slows down the chemical reaction that batteries use to generate electricity. There's still some conductivity going on even if the terminals aren't connected. That's why some electronic gear won't work if you take it for a nice little holiday to Siberia.
    Also, I'd assume it slows down the 'decay' of the chemicals in the battery, as well as the casing etc.

This is also why photographers put their film in the fridge.
    Makes sense...thanks for explanation

This really depends on the chemical in the battery. Lithiums (the CR type) have a 10 year life. A fully charged ML will be empty after 1 year. After that if it stays discharged it won't hold a charge later. Same with the CTLs I believe. Alkalines usually have a 3-5 year shelf life. Yes keeping them cold helps, but personally I always use fresh batteries in watches I care about.
    SPROING!!!!

(oops! Time for a new watch!)

Thread Information