How long will a solar watch last?

Thread: How long will a solar watch last?

How long will a solar watch last?

I have a Casio Pro-Trek tough solar which is a great watch in its own respect (aside from the fact that it needs a new watch band, but it won't take a standard band - crap). I was checking out some G-shock solars, and next to them, some Casios with a 10 year battery...then a thought occurred to me: Just how long would the cell in a solar powered watch last? My guess is that it charges up a capacitor, and my experience with similar type of capacitors in computers is that 10 years is about the most to expect out of them before they can no longer hold a charge. If this is the case, then perhaps a G-shock with a 10 year battery would be a better choice? Does anyone know for certain?

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Re: How long will a solar watch last?

My longest solar is the yellow RAYSMAN form 1998 and it works and charges as well as the day I got it.

Not bad for a eight year old solar that has seen it all:gold

thats a really good point digital. i never thought about that. i want my g shocks to last longer than 10 years
    BROADARROW: PRS-4Q
    CASIO: DW-6100, GW200TC-2V(FROGMAN), G9000-3V (MUDMAN), DW5600E-1V, GW1200BA-1AV, GW6900, PAW-1300-1V(PATHFINDER), GW-7900B, G-7900
    SWISS ARMY: ACTIVE ORIGINAL SAI 24378
    SEIKO: BLACK MONSTER, SKX007, 300M TUNA CAN
    OAKLEY: D1 BLACK/BLACK

I think it can last forever if you take care of it!
    Be today, better than yesterday.
    Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I think it can last forever if you take care of it!
    I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to be a bit misinformed when it comes to the lifespan of G-shocks. In another topic you said that G-shocks should last for up to a 100 years just because there are models programmed to the year 2099...

No, tough solar won't last forever, and may not even surpass the 10 year battery models. However, the advantage is that you can use functions more often and know that with a little sun the battery will be fully charged again. I like tough solar, but if your looking for a watch that can last forever then a G-shock isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    I
    No, tough solar won't last forever, and may not even surpass the 10 year battery models. However, the advantage is that you can use functions more often and know that with a little sun the battery will be fully charged again. I like tough solar, but if your looking for a watch that can last forever then a G-shock isn't it.
    I dont wanna dissapoint you but...I have a normal casio watch that has more than 10 years and works fine. I think that if the model has a calendar to 2099 it's because it should be working at that date...of course it wont last forever if you dont care of it...like everything. I'd say G-shocks can last forever because of their quality. And not only G-shocks, almost any Casio product has been made with excellent materials
    Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I dont wanna dissapoint you but...I have a normal casio watch that has more than 10 years and works fine. I think that if the model has a calendar to 2099 it's because it should be working at that date...of course it wont last forever if you dont care of it...like everything. I'd say G-shocks can last forever because of their quality. And not only G-shocks, almost any Casio product has been made with excellent materials
    Believe me, I'm not trying to degrade Casio. They make fine watches and do a great job in fusing wrist watches with both sytle and functionality. I love them, but know their limitations. Resin rot, for example, will eventually make the bezel and band on my GW-500 fall off. The LCD will also slowly fade away as time passes by. And last but not least, the tough solar cell will eventually die after a number of years. Does this mean I don't like my 500? No! Its a great watch with the best set of functions I could ask for. But, I know deep down that I won't have it forever, just like my other G-shocks.

I just don't want people to be surprised in 15 years when their entire collection of G-shocks falls apart. I'm only trying to state the truth, not trying to say that G-shocks are "cheap" or anything.

I understand what you're saying, TomG, and you're right.

Batman - the fact that the calendar goes up to 2099 is meaningless in this context. The speedometer in my car goes up to 140mph, but I don't expect the car to reach that speed. My driving licence goes up to 2025, but I don't expect my wife to claim for damages if I die before my 70th birthday. Even if the module lasts until 2099 (which it may do, but it seems unlikely), don't expect the case to last that long - or for Casio to be producing replacement bands in 93 year's time.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I understand your point...I got it, but then...by that logic any watch in the world will die too...any computer, cellphone, music player etc...nah, I dont expect it to last forever but I feel safer with a Casio
    Batman

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalQuirk View Post
    My guess is that it charges up a capacitor, and my experience with similar type of capacitors in computers is that 10 years is about the most to expect out of them before they can no longer hold a charge.
    No it charges a rechargable battery not a capacitor.

I've seen electrolytics last 20-30 years if they're not stressed out in some way.

Speaking of caps, this is a must read:
    http://www.badcaps.net

10 year Lithiums are great for a watch that's going to silently sit on your wrist and tell time or as a backup watch that sits in a drawer. But if you want to use the alarm, light, sensors, atomic radio recievers and built-in blenders and coffee maker mode then solar is the way to go.

Thread Information