how to paint bezel letters? - Page 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: how to paint bezel letters?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: how to paint bezel letters?

yea i forgot to mention, i don't want shiny letters, just flat white. i would think nail polish would make it shiny?

I'm not 100% sure about white, but Testor's makes many colors in matte finish. Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and any good little hobby shop should have an abundance of Testor's paints. Matte finishes such as grey, black, brown, and green are commonly used for model military aircraft, so I would bet you could find a matte white.

Edit: Just looked at a Testor's paint chart...Flat White is what you'd be looking for.
    Hook 'Em!! Hidden Content Hidden Content

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

I've used both nail polish and Testor's enamel. I prefer working with nail polish. It's much easier to remove with acetone, and I find it leaves better looking letters because the polish removes more evenly.

That said, colors are a problem with nail polish, especially matte colors. I sent my gf on a mission to the drug store with a G-Shock one time to find nail polish that matched the color. Not something I would want to do myself. With Testor's you have a useful color chart, your choice of matte and glossy enamel, and you don't have to buy it in the makeup aisle.

I like kung-fusion's idea of removing excess enamel before it fully dries. I'll try this next time. Fully dried enamel is not fun to remove.

Also, I would guess that enamel is stronger than nail polish, not that I've had any problems with letters done in nail polish.

not to be a retard, but what's acetone? i have some goof off, could i just use that on a cloth to remove the excess or...?

Acetone is the stuff in nail-polish remover.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

You can use goof-off, but be careful with it. It will melt the plastic light button, and if it sits on the bezel too long, it will start to melt the resin. IF you're going to use goof-off, I suggest you let teh paint dry completely first. Then remove teh access with goof off and rinse under water as quickly as possible. I use
    Testor's paint and Testor's paint thinner. It's not as harmful as the goof off. This way I can paint, wait about 5 minutes to let it set in, but not dry, and gently wipe off hte excess. I painted this 003 yesterday, and it only took about 10 minutes.

Name:  IMG_20110526_181710.jpg
Views: 2637
Size:  84.2 KB
    Hook 'Em!! Hidden Content Hidden Content

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

I have tried Humbrol Enamel Paint thinner to remove the colouring from an original bezel, but it wouldn't budge! Soaked it for 15 minutes, then scrubbed with toothbrush, and no difference at all. (Except it smells of petrochemical )

Can someone suggest a substance that I would probably have lying around the house/garage (NOT Goof Off - not available in UK) that I can use for stealthing without destroying the bezel? Please include the method of use as I'm a bit of an idiot!!

(I tried nail polish remover that contains acetone, but after a cople of minutes, I got scared as it seemed to be damaging the bezel, so rinsed it off immediately - was I just being a coward?)

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    I tried nail polish remover that contains acetone, but after a cople of minutes, I got scared as it seemed to be damaging the bezel, so rinsed it off immediately
    Hi StephenWatch, I used my girlfriend's acetone-free nail varnish remover and it went well, I poured a bit of the stuff in a glass and with a toothbrush I dipped in the nail varnish remover and back on to the bezel. I suppose that like any other quemicals it could eventually damage the bezel, so every few minutes I rinsed it in water before I continued with the toothbrush again. The process seemed to leave a bit of the scent of the nail varnish remover on the bezel but this has now dissapeared.

Good luck.
    StephenWatch likes this.
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

Quote Originally Posted by Txemizo View Post
    Hi StephenWatch, I used my girlfriend's acetone-free nail varnish remover and it went well, I poured a bit of the stuff in a glass and with a toothbrush I dipped in the nail varnish remover and back on to the bezel. I suppose that like any other quemicals it could eventually damage the bezel, so every few minutes I rinsed it in water before I continued with the toothbrush again. The process seemed to leave a bit of the scent of the nail varnish remover on the bezel but this has now dissapeared.

Good luck.
    After a quick 'google' I see that Superdrug do an 'acetone free' nail polish remover (The cheap Tesco stuff seems very corrosive!) - guess it's off to the shops for me tomorrow. Funnily enough, the girlfriend likes that idea

Thanks for the tip - hopefully it'll all go fine...

It worked a treat!! The only variation I used to your instructions was to use a stiff nail brush, my old tooth brush was getting no-where! Here's the results:

Before:

Name:  G7900bezel.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  24.7 KB

After the process:

Name:  bezelbefore.jpg
Views: 2536
Size:  197.9 KB

And for those in the UK without access to 'Goof Off' , just nip down to your local Superdrug, and part with 1.39 for 250ml of their Acetone Free nail polish remover. This is what you're looking for I dipped the bezel in it for 10 minutes then just scrubbed away with the nail brush, also soaked in the stuff - make sure you work near an open window!!

Name:  superdrug.jpg
Views: 2607
Size:  173.1 KB
    firedfromthecircus likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast