How TOUGH the analog G-Shocks really are? Gulfmasters, mudmasters etc. - Page 2
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: How TOUGH the analog G-Shocks really are? Gulfmasters, mudmasters etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    L7R

Re: How TOUGH the analog G-Shocks really are? Gulfmasters, mudmasters etc.

Quote Originally Posted by il Pirati View Post
    Again, no one is arguing the relative toughness between analog and digital models. But you specifically recommended that he not use an analog G-Shock for the tasks of "drive a tractor or lawnmower or do a little chores of hammering nails or chopping wood". Seriously? People do those things wearing automatics all the time. He isn't asking which G-Shock will be best for stopping bullets, or jumping out of airplanes sans parachute. He's asking if an analog will hold up through moderate activity, and you're saying it won't because the digital is more robust. Come'on, Man.
    This is true, I will not try my luck and use Q1000 at work. Too expensive test and I'm not a rich man. But as I know myself, I will forget Gulfmaster in my wrist and chop some wood or use a chainsaw outside of work.

Quote Originally Posted by il Pirati View Post
    Again, no one is arguing the relative toughness between analog and digital models. But you specifically recommended that he not use an analog G-Shock for the tasks of "drive a tractor or lawnmower or do a little chores of hammering nails or chopping wood". Seriously? People do those things wearing automatics all the time. He isn't asking which G-Shock will be best for stopping bullets, or jumping out of airplanes sans parachute. He's asking if an analog will hold up through moderate activity, and you're saying it won't because the digital is more robust. Come'on, Man.
    I was referring to the OP's 3rd paragraph (see quote below), specifically where he said he's a construction worker and used jackhammer. Jachhammer could be extremely damaging to analog watches. Casio designed their analog G's to give way to shocks and then self correct later, whether than against shocks directly. It is very smart way to counteract shocks, but one, you could have the wrong time temporarily, and two, the self correction could eventually fail after repeated stress.

Anyway, it's just my educated opinion, you're free to draw your own conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by L7R View Post
    I'm a construction worker and almost only one who wear watch at work, my Rangeman. It doesn't mind if I use Jackhammer or hammering nails or drive a machines which steering gear (or wheel) shakes pretty well. It works beautifully even very cold Finnish winter. I wear it under my long sleeve jacket and it doesn't have even a scratch yet. For the summer I may get a cheaper G-Shock for using with t-shirt and vest.

edit: I haven't even thought about it, but I also play Ice-Hockey and Rangeman is in my wrist under the Hockey gloves. I really remove it from my wrist only when going to Sauna. =)

L7R

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    This GW-3000BB has been through hell on a steel ship at sea for hundreds of thousands of nautical miles and despite the minor bruises, it still works as new.
    Thank you for your reply, it's nice to know ana-digi G-Shock can withstand a work like yours.
    To me G-shocks are godsend. And by the way, that's a nice watch!
    Last edited by L7R; February 6th, 2017 at 18:58.
    yankeexpress likes this.

I forgot about a personal story that I've relayed before in other threads, which is very relevant here. Once, I was using a hammer drill on concrete in my garage. It was the first time I had used that tool, and I was so focused on it and what I was doing that I never gave any thought whatsoever to what watch I was wearing... I experienced a HUGE (YUGE, if you prefer ) amount of vibration from that, which traveled from my hands, all the way up my arms, and it was SEVERE vibration!!

When I was done after about an hour, a sickening thought suddenly struck me -- OMG, was I wearing a WATCH while doing that?? And if so, which one????!! I have many watches other than g-shocks and it could very well have been one of them. I was half afraid to look at my wrist, for fear I would see a mangled mess of what used to be a nice watch.

Thankfully, I had been wearing my GW-3500BB (ana/digi) that day. It came thru it unscathed, none the worse for wear. That reinforced my high regard for gshocks. Now while I would not intentionally wear an expensive g-shock for an activity like that, it is nice to know that if I did, or somehow forgot to take it off first, it is highly likely it would be just fine.

Not tough when it comes to fire...

Quote Originally Posted by olticker View Post
    Not tough when it comes to fire...
    wanna bet?
    another testament to the tough G
    yankeexpress and USMC0321 like this.
    I am responsible for what I say, not your Hidden Content to comprehend.

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by kubr1ck Hidden Content
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by kubr1ck Hidden Content
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

I can weigh in here. This has been affixed to my tac-go bag for years; before that it was strapped to my wrist through all sorts of hell as a MCMAP instructor. Literally had combat boots and fists hit it all day long - I replaced the strap once. You'll be fine with construction work and Hockey. Enjoy the peace of mind.

Note that the GW3000/3500/4000 series are older generation of ana-digi G's with Linked minute and hour hands. Meaning the two hands move together, rather than independently like many of the newer ana-digi G's. They also do not feature a smart crown, but use only buttons for all operations. Furthermore, they are part of the aviation G series, where they need to pass centrifugal force test, in addition to shock and vibration tests (advertised as "Triple G Resist"). The AWG100/AWGM100 is a lower cost ana-digi G with the same linked hands design, but without Triple G Resist and all the fancies sub-dials. All of these have been proven their reliability in many threads here in the forum, as well as the members' testaments above.

Gulfmaster GWN1000/GWNQ1000 and Mudmaster GWG1000 are not part of aviation G series, so they were not advertised as Triple G Resist. They use independent hands, as well as smart crowns. It is this combination of analog designs that's being questioned, and that we don't yet have enough data to prove their comparable toughness, as well as long term durability. They are also significantly more expensive than the older ana-digi's, hence create more mental concerns for those who are more cost conscious.

Just pointing out the facts.
    WES51 and L7R like this.

I agree with GeekMaster. I never had any problems with my analog or ana/digital, but there are far more reported problems with them rather with digital only.
    Both might fail, of course, but i kind trust more my digital watch, where there is no moving parts.
    Last edited by FJay Iceberg White; February 7th, 2017 at 12:17.
    L7R likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Geekmaster View Post
    Note that the GW3000/3500/4000 series are older generation of ana-digi G's with Linked minute and hour hands. Meaning the two hands move together, rather than independently like many of the newer ana-digi G's. They also do not feature a smart crown, but use only buttons for all operations. Furthermore, they are part of the aviation G series, where they need to pass centrifugal force test, in addition to shock and vibration tests (advertised as "Triple G Resist"). The AWG100/AWGM100 is a lower cost ana-digi G with the same linked hands design, but without Triple G Resist and all the fancies sub-dials. All of these have been proven their reliability in many threads here in the forum, as well as the members' testaments above.

Gulfmaster GWN1000/GWNQ1000 and Mudmaster GWG1000 are not part of aviation G series, so they were not advertised as Triple G Resist. They use independent hands, as well as smart crowns. It is this combination of analog designs that's being questioned, and that we don't yet have enough data to prove their comparable toughness, as well as long term durability. They are also significantly more expensive than the older ana-digi's, hence create more mental concerns for those who are more cost conscious.

Just pointing out the facts.
    Excellent point;

This is now the only G I wear nowadays // I used it on two contract deployments and shot several thousand rounds a day with it on and again trained several contract workers / operators in MCMAP. It also has never failed.

Trust me; I'm far from a G-Shock fanboy (as evidenced by my previous posts), but there is no denying the need for this watch in the field today. I've killed many Suunto's and prefer my Marathon's, but can most assuredly attest that you have little to worry about when wearing one of these. If you want tougher than this, you have only one other choice:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information