How TOUGH the analog G-Shocks really are? Gulfmasters, mudmasters etc.
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: How TOUGH the analog G-Shocks really are? Gulfmasters, mudmasters etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    L7R

Question How TOUGH the analog G-Shocks really are? Gulfmasters, mudmasters etc.

Sorry if there are a thread of this but I can't find proper info anywhere.

I bought a GWN-Q1000 Gulfmaster and when it is still coming from Japan, I'm constantly thinking how shockproof these new analog g-shocks are? Can I drive a tracktor or lawnmover or do a little chores of hammering nails or chopping wood at a cottage? So any info is appreciated, has anyone got these analogs broke and how that happened?

I'm a construction worker and almost only one who wear watch at work, my Rangeman. It doesn't mind if I use Jackhammer or hammering nails or drive a machines which steering gear (or wheel) shakes pretty well. It works beautifully even very cold Finnish winter. I wear it under my long sleeve jacket and it doesn't have even a scratch yet. For the summer I may get a cheaper G-Shock for using with t-shirt and vest.

edit: I haven't even thought about it, but I also play Ice-Hockey and Rangeman is in my wrist under the Hockey gloves. I really remove it from my wrist only when going to Sauna. =)
    Last edited by L7R; February 4th, 2017 at 14:04. Reason: little after thoughts
    Watch_Geekmaster likes this.

Re: How TOUGH the analog G-Shocks really are? Gulfmasters, mudmasters etc.

How TOUGH the analog G-Shocks really are?
    they were going to call them Chuck Norris, but that name was taken.
    Trandy, romseyman, zabat and 2 others like this.
    I am responsible for what I say, not your inability to comprehend.

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

L7R

I was wondering about this myself for a while, but I 'm not sure anybody really knows other than maybe Casio.

I would argure that there is simply not enough long term data on this yet.

Personally, I'm hesitant to accept experiences from F17 members as a representative sample for watch durability and toughness, simply based on the love and care fellow F17'ers (including myself) share for their watches. In other words I just don't buy that there are a large enough (to be representative) number of members on F17, who have the heart to subject their analogs to regular abuse.

On a positive note, despite Amazon reviews being usually on the more critical side, I'm not aware of many such reviews that mention failure.
    Last edited by WES51; February 4th, 2017 at 20:32.
    L7R likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by L7R View Post
    Sorry if there are a thread of this but I can't find proper info anywhere.

I bought a GWN-Q1000 Gulfmaster and when it is still coming from Japan, I'm constantly thinking how shockproof these new analog g-shocks are? Can I drive a tracktor or lawnmover or do a little chores of hammering nails or chopping wood at a cottage? So any info is appreciated, has anyone got these analogs broke and how that happened?

I'm a construction worker and almost only one who wear watch at work, my Rangeman. It doesn't mind if I use Jackhammer or hammering nails or drive a machines which steering gear (or wheel) shakes pretty well. It works beautifully even very cold Finnish winter. I wear it under my long sleeve jacket and it doesn't have even a scratch yet. For the summer I may get a cheaper G-Shock for using with t-shirt and vest.

edit: I haven't even thought about it, but I also play Ice-Hockey and Rangeman is in my wrist under the Hockey gloves. I really remove it from my wrist only when going to Sauna. =)
    The answer should be YES for both the Gulfmaster and Mudmaster, or they do not live up to the g-shock name and reputation. I think Casio tests them far harder than nearly anyone uses them, so we should not be concerned about wearing them during these kinds of activities.

While both the Gulfmaster and Mudmaster are shock resistant and g-shock tough, the Mudmaster is also vibration resistant so might be even a little tougher than the Gulfmaster. Casio put Alpha-gel and the Mudmaster module, so it should be extremely well protected.

I don't do those kinds of activities much now, but after I move late this year, I'll be doing them regularly and can give some first-hand reports, then.
    soulbridgemedia and L7R like this.

A typical analog or analog-digital watch has hands, gears, and motors. Casio furthers that by adding technology for automated hands setup, smart crown control, and internal self diagnostic hands correction (Tough Movement). For the Gulfmaster and Mudmaster, on top of all those I mentioned, also adds the triple sensor technology, which further utilized the second hand for sensor functions. So... technically speaking, the more complexity there is the more likely things could go wrong. As Murphy's law says, "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

A plain digital watch on the other hand has none of the above to worry about. No moving parts, and no advance controllers / diagnostics for managing the hands. So without a doubt, it's a better choice for the heavy duty works you're doing. As already proved by your experience with the Rangeman.

So if you want to get one of the higher end ana-digi G's, you should as they're technological masterpieces. But I would not use it for the type of work you're doing, instead only wear it for leisure. That's my opinion.
    cal..45, GaryK30, L7R and 1 others like this.

This GW-3000BB has been through hell on a steel ship at sea for hundreds of thousands of nautical miles and despite the minor bruises, it still works as new.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; February 6th, 2017 at 06:26.
    xevious, notional, Robotaz and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Geekmaster View Post
    A typical analog or analog-digital watch has hands, gears, and motors. Casio furthers that by adding technology for automated hands setup, smart crown control, and internal self diagnostic hands correction (Tough Movement). For the Gulfmaster and Mudmaster, on top of all those I mentioned, also adds the triple sensor technology, which further utilized the second hand for sensor functions. So... technically speaking, the more complexity there is the more likely things could go wrong. As Murphy's law says, "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

A plain digital watch on the other hand has none of the above to worry about. No moving parts, and no advance controllers / diagnostics for managing the hands. So without a doubt, it's a better choice for the heavy duty works you're doing. As already proved by your experience with the Rangeman.

So if you want to get one of the higher end ana-digi G's, you should as they're technological masterpieces. But I would not use it for the type of work you're doing, instead only wear it for leisure. That's my opinion.
    Bit of a logical fallacy in this argument.
    Obviously the analog has moving parts, much more than a pure digital. And I'll give you that this means there is more that could go wrong. But your conclusion that analogs are therefore not suitable for rough use does not follow.
    G Shocks are tough as hell. Casio tests the bejezus out of them. Something may, eventually break on your analog G, but it likely will not be the result of "hard use".
    My conjecture is that any shock that will actually damage the Gulfmaster or Mudmaster would probably do so much damage to your arm/wrist that the watch's condition would be a very minor concern.
    Seiko MM300 SBDX017 / Alpinist SARB017 / SKX173. G-Shock GW-5000 / Rangeman GW-9400-3CR / Gulfmaster GWN-1000C / GW-M5610. Raymond Weil Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by il Pirati View Post
    Bit of a logical fallacy in this argument.
    Obviously the analog has moving parts, much more than a pure digital. And I'll give you that this means there is more that could go wrong. But your conclusion that analogs are therefore not suitable for rough use does not follow.
    G Shocks are tough as hell. Casio tests the bejezus out of them. Something may, eventually break on your analog G, but it likely will not be the result of "hard use".
    My conjecture is that any shock that will actually damage the Gulfmaster or Mudmaster would probably do so much damage to your arm/wrist that the watch's condition would be a very minor concern.
    What's in bold is a common misconception for G-Shocks. Casio do not subject all G's to ALL tests. They only perform tests that's applicable for that particular model of G. See the video below, every test has this statement on screen: "Test results are for the models used and do not necessarily apply to every G-SHOCK model."

For instance, in the video you see the Mudman G9000 gone through 3 different tests: Hammer Test, Piston Test and Vibration Test. Very tough! But I highly doubt they do the same 3 tests on their ana-digi G's, because subject to that much sudden impulse or constant vibration the analog hands/gears/motors will sure be damaged.

Robotaz and L7R like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Geekmaster View Post
    What's in bold is a common misconception for G-Shocks. Casio do not subject all G's to ALL tests. They only perform tests that's applicable for that particular model of G. See the video below, every test has this statement on screen: "Test results are for the models used and do not necessarily apply to every G-SHOCK model."

For instance, in the video you see the Mudman G9000 gone through 3 different tests: Hammer Test, Piston Test and Vibration Test. Very tough! But I highly doubt they do the same 3 tests on their ana-digi G's, because subject to that much sudden impulse or constant vibration the analog hands/gears/motors will sure be damaged.
    Again, no one is arguing the relative toughness between analog and digital models. But you specifically recommended that he not use an analog G-Shock for the tasks of "drive a tractor or lawnmower or do a little chores of hammering nails or chopping wood". Seriously? People do those things wearing automatics all the time. He isn't asking which G-Shock will be best for stopping bullets, or jumping out of airplanes sans parachute. He's asking if an analog will hold up through moderate activity, and you're saying it won't because the digital is more robust. Come'on, Man.
    Seiko MM300 SBDX017 / Alpinist SARB017 / SKX173. G-Shock GW-5000 / Rangeman GW-9400-3CR / Gulfmaster GWN-1000C / GW-M5610. Raymond Weil Tango.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information