If you could only have one... - Page 2
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: If you could only have one...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Brentwood, CA 94513 (San Francisco Bay Area)

Re: If you could only have one...

GW-M-5610 or GW-5000J, a square.
    Trandy, Rocat and crhempel like this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

I'm new to G Shocks (and watches). I got my first G Shock about two months ago. I only wanted one or just a few, and I already have 8, if that tells you anything. Much of the advice and observations around here have turned out to be very true for me. I think I read from someone that looking for the single perfect watch is not going to end in success, and I've found that to be true. Of my watches, I like all of them, but one doesn't totally tower over the others. I'm not even sure I could make a single perfect watch if you flew me to Japan to meet with Casio and have them make one to my specifications.

I like the idea of just one go-to watch I wear every day, but it's turning out that there are too many G Shocks that I like. I'm not exactly looking to "collect" them per se, I just want to have a stable of them for my wearing rotation. I ideally wanted the number at around 3 to 5, but I keep finding more that I like for different reasons. Also, being this new to G's, after I wear one for a few days, I keep discovering what I like the most about a particular watch and what I might like in another one.

All that said, if I had to pick just one, it's tough, but I'd probably go with my GD120CM-5
    Name:  20170307_233209.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  58.8 KB

For my *one* watch, if I did it on paper I'd probably choose a smaller one since they tend to be a bit less noticeable for daily constant wear on my smaller wrist. I'd probably choose one with a front light button since I like keeping the side buttons for watch operations. I'd probably go with solar/atomic since I like the rechargeable battery and the ultra accurate time. However, I'm not making this choice on paper. This just happens to be the one that own that slightly speaks to me a little more than the others. It's hard to describe - I just feel like I'm home when I wear this one.
    Saonoi and crhempel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    I wonder if people ask the same thing of other brands. If you could have one Seiko, one Citizen, one whatever. I just don't subscribe to the idea that there is one of a particular brand held above all others, and that if you get that one, all your watch desires will be satisfied forever. I sort of understand being new to a brand and wanting to know which models have generally favorable reviews and which don't, but it still comes down to personal preference. One thing I like about G's and this forum is we aren't pretentious. Won't don't mock those who picked up a basic 5600 at Walmart and are happy with it, or put on a pedestal those with a more expensive model that might be out of reach to others. I'm pretty sure we appreciate them all.
    This question most definitey shows up with other brands. I was just curious and wanted to dip a toe. The miriad options available can be somewhat overwhelming.

Get a GW-5000 and don't spend some more time in this forum because the more you stay here the more you will see different beautiful G-Shocks and your G-shock guardian angel will lure you to have some of them. By then you will be an avid parishioner of Cathedral of St. Ebay. So beware, this is a habit forming and it is not yet regulated by Center for Decease Control and Prevention so there's no rehabilitation to go if you fall into it.

[QUOTE=Epal2Apol;39779066]Get a GW

LOL!! That is exactly how I amassed my collection of vintage Seikos. I can feel the draw from the G-Shocks now.

I wonder if people ask the same thing of other brands. If you could have one Seiko, one Citizen, one whatever. I just don't subscribe to the idea that there is one of a particular brand held above all others, and that if you get that one, all your watch desires will be satisfied forever. I sort of understand being new to a brand and wanting to know which models have generally favorable reviews and which don't, but it still comes down to personal preference. One thing I like about G's and this forum is we aren't pretentious. Won't don't mock those who picked up a basic 5600 at Walmart and are happy with it, or put on a pedestal those with a more expensive model that might be out of reach to others. I'm pretty sure we appreciate them all.
    Yeah, I agree that for the vast majority of us, there is no ONE g-shock that, once we get it, we'll be satisfied and never want another G. I'm guessing that many people new to g-shocks ask this question in order to whittle down the huge range of g-shocks into some top picks that they might want to choose from. Nothing wrong with that, I just get a little tired of seeing the question so often. But as you suggested, what is one person's favorite or top pick may not be someone else's. Kind of like asking, what is your favorite car, or motorcycle, etc. Those are very personal decisions, just as with Gs.

So as I've said before, I don't EVER see myself limiting my Gs to just one. Probably never less than 1/2 dozen at a minimum (in truth, I'll probably have around 12-18 Gs & Protreks even after thinning my collection to where I want it). But right now my "essential 1/2 dozen" would include my Maharishi MM, MRG-G1000B-1A, GW-5000, Rangeman, Titanium GWF-T1030A-1, and GPW-1000 (2A or RAF, or both!).
    Last edited by Time4Playnow; March 17th, 2017 at 19:18.

Yankee's post is data killer on mobile ... warning: please browse this thread on WiFi and preferably well charged

Sort of a boring topic again BTW
    Rocat likes this.

I wonder if people ask the same thing of other brands. If you could have one Seiko, one Citizen......
    If you could only have one wife......

😃

Sent from Capt. Kirk's communicator
    I am responsible for what I say, not your inability to comprehend.

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Dw-6600, if you couldn't ... dw-6900

yankeexpress I think you might have scared him off lol.
    The whole "if you can have only one" scenario is sort of a bad dream scenario for me, I don't like to think about that. I suppose if you're a multi-brand collector and simply want one G to cross it off your brand list, google DW5600 or DW6900, find a color you like, then try it out for a while. If $ is tight you're in luck many of those are $50 or under. Careful though, once that door has been opened...
    Know I missed quite a few, but nowhere near what Sjors and a few others have. Haven't taken pictures of every single watch.

Here's another excellent model, GD-400:

pocky likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information