Love Affair With the DW-6600
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Love Affair With the DW-6600

-->
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Love Affair With the DW-6600

Yes, it happened. I fell in love with one of my most unloved G-Shocks. I bought a DW-6600 many years ago, and quickly sent it to the ďbriefly and never again used cardboard box of watch doomĒ. It saw a grand total of about one single day on my wrist. I felt the module to be very odd and the display to be boring looking. To make matters worse, the watch gained about 30 seconds per month. Far too much gain for my liking. Heck, I even found the strap to be uncomfortable.

After a thread a while back, with Bruce proclaiming his love for the DW-6600, I decided to give it another try. Iíd been on a big chunky watch kick, and wanted something other than my Frogman to wear. The 6600 was certainly big and chunky, so it fit the bill perfectly. I also had an excuse to wear the watch. Iíd recalibrate the timekeeping, to bring the watch back into spec.

The first thing I did was to start recalibration, change the case back gasket, and toss in a fresh battery. I also added some strap adapters, attached a 24mm Zulu strap, and popped on a face protector. The watch wasnít exactly pretty, but it was functional. The crystal had accidentally been scratched and the face protector was bent and had chipped paint. The bezel had been stealthed at one point, and there rub marks imbedded into the resin by a stiff toothbrush. If you havenít noticed, I wasnít about to go all out on this watch. It was merely a test run.

So I wore the watch almost every day for 2 or 3 weeks. Let me tell you, the DW-6600 really grew on me. The module certainly isnít perfect, but I do consider it to be the functional equal of the DW-6900. You lose some features, but you also gain some. The display digits are obviously very large on the DW-6600. You also get to scroll both upward and downward through all digits, which you cannot do on the DW-6900. You can also switch between 12 and 24 hour timekeeping on the fly, which the DW-6900 cannot do. My guess is that this last feature is what makes the DW-6600 so appealing to the US military. The US is a country with 24 hour time used by the military, but with 12 hour time used by most civilians. The DW-6600 also has an auto-start on the stopwatch, which the DW-6900 cannot do.

The big draw of this module is the target time feature. Not many G-Shocks have it, and I believe the DW-6600 to be the only current model in production to have this feature. Target time is kind of like a countdown timer, but it counts upward instead, and is incorporated into the stopwatch feature. Target time definitely has its uses, and works great for cooking. Say that Iím timing the cooking of some new pasta, and the box says to cook it for 10 minutes. Ordinarily, Iíd set a countdown timer for ten minutes, test the pasta after ten minutes, and then keep cooking until done. With the target time feature, I set the target time for ten minutes, and test the pasta when the target time alarm goes off. Now hereís the cool part. If the pasta is not done yet after ten minutes, I can just let the stopwatch keep on running. When the pasta is finally done, I can see the exact amount of time that was needed to fully cook the pasta, and record that value in my cookbook for the next time that I cook this pasta. Pretty cool. Iíve found a huge number of cool uses for the target time feature.

And heck, if you do need a real countdown timer at some point, the DW-6600 does have a very simple 60 minute CDT to boot. Itís not fancy, but it gets the job done.

Like I mentioned earlier, there are downsides to this module. No auto-repeat on the CDT, which is limited to 60 minutes. No change in operation tone when you scroll back to the timekeeping function. The alarm is more basic than most G-Shocks. The DW-6600 also cannot show the current time in stopwatch mode, but does show the current time in alarm mode. And unlike the DW-6900, if you use a function of the watch, the next press of the mode button does not automatically return you to timekeeping mode. Basically, the DW-6600 gives you a big extra feature, with real world uses, but neglects some of the finesse of the DW-6900. Not a bad trade-off, if the finesse is not a big issue to you.

The DW-6600 does not have the auto-calendar that almost every other G-shock possesses. This really bothered me at first, until someone on this board explained it to me. Basically, the only downside is that you have to manually change the day whenever a leap year occurs. One adjustment every 4 years. Certainly not a big deal by any stretch of the imagination.

Iíll add in one more odd thing. It appears that the DW-6600-1V does not have a large ďGĒ that shows as a backlight image, while the DW-6600C-1V does have the backlight image. My DW-6600, as well as a replacement I just purchased, both have the backlight image. The backlight image certainly doesnít bother me, as it is too light in color to interfere with the timekeeping display. But I could understand somebody wanting the model without the image. Itís fun, but maybe a little hokey looking.

As far as looks, I do not consider the DW-6600 to be especially good looking. There are no intricate three eye graphics of the DW-6900. You get these funky looking red and green bars instead, which are frankly a bit goofy looking. Where the DW-6900 can look very fashionable, the DW-6600 merely attempts to look functional and competent. The DW-6600 is kind of like that girl you dated back in high school. She certainly wasnít the prettiest girl in school, or even the prettiest girl you dated. She wasnít the girl that you wanted to show off to your friends. But she was a great companion, and she did things that the other girls would never do. Sheís the girl that, twenty years later, you wished that youíd never let go of. Thatís the DW-6600 in a nutshell.

This is a watch that has been proven over and over for more than ten years, in the areas of military, law enforcement, and emergency personnel. This watch is big, chunky, and muscular looking. It might be a little rough around the edges, but if youíre currently wearing this watch, a more refined look might probably be a waste of effort.

As of right this moment, Iím absolutely in love with the DW-6600. I think itís time to go to the next level, and make up a pristine DW-6600, with all of the fixings. Iíll dress it up the best I can, and make it as comfortable and functional as possible. It may not exactly be pretty when Iím done, but it will be a lot of fun to wear.

xnokiax likes this.

Re: Love Affair With the DW-6600

Looks really great buzzbait , i love stealthed watches, i need to make the white paint on the bezel of my black 5025 also black.
    Just like yours. But at the moment i don't know how it is done best.

Greetings, K@cho.

Banned

Excellent review. I've purchased a number of new g-shocks recently, but still find myself wanting to put the DW6600 on. Once I order a new bezel from Casio, I intend on wearing this watch a lot.

I too once thought of it as step-child, but it really is my go-to partner at least half of the time, which isn't bad considering I usually have around 8 or 10 to choose from. I too use a 24 mil Zulu which really sealed the deal. I've never minded the graphics too much-I'm pretty neutral towards them. I do like that the LCD is open and not broken up by overlays. Also, should you find yourself using the puny 60 minute CDT, the time is displayed.
    Last edited by Valaker; April 15th, 2008 at 00:50.

2 questions:

1 - did you trim the adaptors on this one in the way you mentioned in another thread i may have to trim the adaptors for a 6900?

2 - did casio ever make special versions of this watch like they've done countless times with the 6900? i don't think i've ever seen a special or different edition 6600.

thanks, and great pics as always.

Wow, great testimony Buzz.. Damn near brought a tear to my eyes, too, especially the part about the parallels/analogy with the "girl you dated high school". Love my 6600's too, and now I have another perspective on it. :thanks

-Darin

Really glad to hear that you feel this way. I started to have a 6600 thing about 3 weeks ago- just decided it was the most super functional, no frills, tough looking G. I decided to go for the plain backlight model, and ordered it from HB. I have been waiting for 2 weeks- still hoping that it will show up soon. I can't wait. Pretty sure I will go for the adapters and strap swap- suits this watch perfectly.
    In answer to the question of variations- I found 2 pics- just a bit different from the current model- no other info...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by smittythepig View Post

1 - did you trim the adaptors on this one in the way you mentioned in another thread i may have to trim the adaptors for a 6900?

2 - did casio ever make special versions of this watch like they've done countless times with the 6900? i don't think i've ever seen a special or different edition 6600.

thanks, and great pics as always.
    1. Yes, I trimmed the adapters on my DW-6600 also.

2. You don't see many special editions of this model anymore. There is a special edition available on Amazon right now. Pretty interesting looking.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Classic-...8214727&sr=8-3

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDBS View Post
    Really glad to hear that you feel this way. I started to have a 6600 thing about 3 weeks ago- just decided it was the most super functional, no frills, tough looking G. I decided to go for the plain backlight model, and ordered it from HB. I have been waiting for 2 weeks- still hoping that it will show up soon. I can't wait. Pretty sure I will go for the adapters and strap swap- suits this watch perfectly.
    In answer to the question of variations- I found 2 pics- just a bit different from the current model- no other info...
    I don't know about different versions but the one on the right is my 6600 with the red text redone yellow.

Maybe, I need to take a few $40-$50 watches, some $2 paint and sell them as "Limited Editions" for $100+, huh?

Matt

Well Matt- that mystery is solved. Sometimes I'll save pics from the 'net, and then not remember where they came from.
    The watch looks great- really like it with the yellow.
    So, maybe anyone with variations and mods to the DW6600 should post 'em here in this thread, which may end up being the 6600 appreciation page.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Watches in this thread

Thread Information