WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Mil-Shock modification: images and info request

14K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  ecalzo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Does anyone have photos of their "case modification" that Countycomm did to the Milshock? I have a couple G-Shocks that won't work the the usual adapters, so I'm curious what Countycomm did.

Thanks!

#2 ·
racerx454 said:
Hi guys,
Does anyone have photos of their "case modification" that Countycomm did to the Milshock? I have a couple G-Shocks that won't work the the usual adapters, so I'm curious what Countycomm did.
Thanks!
-Kevin-
I'm curious of this as well. I'm pondering getting their adaptors and a Maratac Zulu band for my new 5600, or just seeing if I can do it myself. I'm a big fan of reversible mods in case I want to use the original band, but I'd like to know what makes it a Milshock.

Um... why won't the adaptor you have work with your G-shock? Are they 5600's?

#3 ·
i think countycomm widen the lug size to 20mm (original was 16mm)

then put a stainless steel pin there so that you can only 20mm zulu or mil strap with it

and they verified the functionality of the watch (i am pretty sure they put that into the price as well :-D )

and the mil-shock mod is definitely non-reverseable. somebody love it and some don't.

racerx454: which G-Shock won't the adaptor work with? i think we have heard about DW6600/6900 doesn't work with one kind of adaptor (mil watch forum kind?) amd i thought county comm got the better version that works with most G-Shocks?

#5 · (Edited)
racerx454: which G-Shock won't the adaptor work with? i think we have heard about DW6600/6900 doesn't work with one kind of adaptor (mil watch forum kind?) amd i thought county comm got the better version that works with most G-Shocks?
I have two GW-5600s (won't work well - big gap due to increased lug size for antenna). Also, I have an Ana-Digi Waveceptor that won't accept the adapters. I was thinking about the dremel approach, but wanted to ascertain for certain how CountyComm did it.

Thanks!

#6 ·
Thanks Sjors...

Sjors said:
Andy from Honolulu has an original of the first series. Here you have a thread with him showing his Mil-Shock,

Cheers,

Sjors
Aloha,

Mine was done by the by the creator of the Mil-Shock as a gift to me (we're good friends) about six months before CountyComm began first carrying the watch for sale, and nearly two years after the design prototypes were first made. So, it's really part of the prototype group. It is the very first Mil-Shock ever made with red lettering on the bezel, though that was actually just by chance; you see, I had bought the DW5600e some time earlier (it came with those strap adapters, by the way), and it was the only one I had when my friend said he'd make one for me.

I still use mine regularly as my watch of choice for airline flights. In fact, it was on my wrist last week for our trip to San Diego and Disneyland.

Mahalo,

andy

#8 ·
I have no idea...

Sjors said:
Aloha Andy,

Somehow it's the first time I saw this, but how did your friend put in those steel pins? Or are they still S.Steel pushpins? Did you enjoy the Triple Crown this year;-)

Cheers,

Sjors
Aloha Sjors,

Those pins are made from solid 316L stainless steel rod stock; I have no idea how he installed them! However, he's a master machinist, doing very complex and specialized custom work as his regular job. To give you an idea of his expertise, the Marathon SAR/TSAR/GSAR military dive watch that many here know about and may own was created from design prototypes he produced from raw stainless steel.

I didn't get to see anything on this year's Triple Crown. If I ever move back there, you'll be sure I will be attending some of the events!

Mahalo,

an dy

#9 ·
Re: I have no idea...

AndyFromHonolulu said:
To give you an idea of his expertise, the Marathon SAR/TSAR/GSAR military dive watch that many here know about and may own was created from design prototypes he produced from raw stainless steel.

Hi andy,

So that's probably the reasn why the subscript on Broadarrow with this picture says it was taken at a depth of 100ft of the East Shore of Oahu...

Great shop. I ordered there my Eagles Industries watchbands.

By the way, your friend using your DW-5600ED is a nice one.

Cheers,

Sjors

#12 ·
Here's a Mil-Shock that none of us have...

This one has the same modification (solid stainless steel fixed pins) but as you can see, it's not the DW5600e. Unfortunately, I know of only two that were made, and they're both still with the creator. The case is different, and the remaining case lugs are thinner than the regular Mil-Shock, so much so that he didn't want to sell any of these because he didn't know if they would hold up. That was a couple of years ago, and I think they're still doing fine, but no more were ever made.

Mahalo,

andy

#17 ·
Re: Here's a Mil-Shock that none of us have...

Looks like a G-5600-1JF with a gold bezel

Photo courtesy of Seiya-

This one has the same modification (solid stainless steel fixed pins) but as you can see, it's not the DW5600e. Unfortunately, I know of only two that were made, and they're both still with the creator. The case is different, and the remaining case lugs are thinner than the regular Mil-Shock, so much so that he didn't want to sell any of these because he didn't know if they would hold up. That was a couple of years ago, and I think they're still doing fine, but no more were ever made.

Mahalo,

andy

#13 ·
Aloha Andy! :)

If you ever have the opportunity to remove the bezel on your Mil-Shock, could you please let us know if the stainless rod stock goes straight through the lugs. I am contemplating shaving down the plastic lugs on my 5600 to fit a 20mm strap. I am thinking that by doing so, the spring pin holes will be removed as well. Therefore drilling holes through the side of the lugs is the only option of placing a rod into the lugs?

I am just curious to see how it was manufactured now that the Mil-Shock is un-obtainable at the moment. :)

#14 ·
Derek N said:
Aloha Andy! :)

If you ever have the opportunity to remove the bezel on your Mil-Shock, could you please let us know if the stainless rod stock goes straight through the lugs. I am contemplating shaving down the plastic lugs on my 5600 to fit a 20mm strap. I am thinking that by doing so, the spring pin holes will be removed as well. Therefore drilling holes through the side of the lugs is the only option of placing a rod into the lugs?

I am just curious to see how it was manufactured now that the Mil-Shock is un-obtainable at the moment. :)
Aloha Derek,

Last time I removed the bezel cover was about two weeks ago, when I changed straps to a 20mm black Zulu (fits nicely, and for me the most comfortable strap ever). If I recall correctly, that's how the solid bars are installed. And you're right, shaving down the lugs will cut away the spring bar holes. If you're planning on shaving the lugs by using any power tool, use it at low speed and do it for short periods. One thing that my friend told me was that you had to be careful not to melt the case as you work with it fiberglass plastic composite) .

With a little luck, I'll be back home in about 2-1/2 weeks and can show it to you.

Mahalo,

andy

#20 ·
Hey Kronos .. this is a real milshock you've got there? Please , can you tell me if the original nato strap it is 18mm or 20mm..? Just wondering .. because i'm working hard trying to build some of this but my concerns are the same of Andyfromhonolulu friend has got..the walls of the lugs ... mm ... they will become too thin.. and they will break,, believe me ..(already did) ... will post some pics if someone it is interested .. my thought it is about the diameter of the fixed rod they installed for fixed lugs... are they 1mm? my thoughts are correct? because 1,4mm will not work on this .. thanks in advance if you should help me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.