Modified GWM5610-1 for night time visibility - Page 2
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Modified GWM5610-1 for night time visibility

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Modified GWM5610-1 for night time visibility

Quote Originally Posted by zabat View Post
    That is exactly what G-Shocks need! Is that a positive display model? Because if so, I guess it gets enough ambient light to charge it up. I would not have expected a positive display in the dark, but glad to see it is. Kudos, Sir, and Applause!
    I actually made it a negative display. I feared that the display wouldn't get enough sunlight but that isn't the case. I also feared the backlight wouldn't function but it functions normally through the glow strip. I would imagine that with a positive display the glow might be even brighter. Someone should give it a shot I will post progress pics later.
    godizded likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by heyheyheyhey View Post
    I also feared the backlight wouldn't function but it functions normally through the glow strip.
    I was about to ask whether the backlight's still functional after the mod, but you clear that up. Can you provide a pic with the backlight on along with the glow? Thanks!

Very cool mod, by the way!
    Last edited by Watch_Geekmaster; January 27th, 2017 at 05:16.
    heyheyheyhey likes this.

I actually made it a negative display. I feared that the display wouldn't get enough sunlight but that isn't the case. I also feared the backlight wouldn't function but it functions normally through the glow strip. I would imagine that with a positive display the glow might be even brighter. Someone should give it a shot I will post progress pics later.
    Thanks for the clarification. So, UV gets through the negative display. Good to know. Does the EL backlight emit enough UV to power up the glow tape? Guessing it does not, but, ehh, whatever. A blast with a 150 lumen LED light would charge it up, no problem.

Might look good on a Dw-5600 bb-1. It's already a negative display.
    Name:  dw_5600bb_1_2.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  46.9 KB(borrowed, obviously)

I wonder if it would work on a mirrored display? They are positive, but when backlit, only the numbers are illuminated.
    Name:  P1090151.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  1.51 MB

Nice to try this. Thanks for sharing.
    heyheyheyhey likes this.

I just added some glow in the dark stuff under the LCD and on the bezel itself. Looks sick IMO. No back light on or anything. Attachment 10655850
    It would be great to see a step by step pics.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    heyheyheyhey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Geekmaster View Post
    I was about to ask whether the backlight's still functional after the mod, but you clear that up. Can you provide a pic with the backlight on along with the glow? Thanks!

Very cool mod, by the way!
    Here's one with the glow itself
    Name:  IMG_20170127_123651.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  76.4 KB

And here's one with the glow and the backlight on simultaneously Name:  IMG_20170127_123744.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  83.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by zabat View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. So, UV gets through the negative display. Good to know. Does the EL backlight emit enough UV to power up the glow tape? Guessing it does not, but, ehh, whatever. A blast with a 150 lumen LED light would charge it up, no problem.

Might look good on a Dw-5600 bb-1. It's already a negative display.
    Name:  dw_5600bb_1_2.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  46.9 KB(borrowed, obviously)

I wonder if it would work on a mirrored display? They are positive, but when backlit, only the numbers are illuminated.
    Name:  P1090151.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  1.51 MB
    Unfortunately the backlight doesnt it enough UV. Normally sunlight or flashlights get the glow going. I'm going to mess with a dummy Casio watch with a positive display and see what results I can get from that.

Quote Originally Posted by TAner View Post
    It would be great to see a step by step pics.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    I'll try to get that done soon thanks!

Here's one with the glow itself

And here's one with the glow and the backlight on simultaneously
    Thanks! That proved the backlight's pretty much redundant with the glow material! The only thing is how long the glow will last before you have to recharge it with a flashlight, but that's easy to do.

The concept of putting glow material behind digital LCD is not new, in fact as far back as the 70's. Here's member ChromeFreeDisco's post with a video of his Fairchild Tritium LCD watch. But somehow the concept was not widespread commercially, nor did other watchmakers (as far as I searched) use just regular analog watch lume for the same purpose like you did. I wonder why? It's so simple! Instead the originally power hungry EL panel was such a big deal when it was first released in 1992 by Timex and then 1995 by Casio.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeFreeDisco View Post
    I have this Fairchild Tritium LCD.
    heyheyheyhey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Geekmaster View Post
    Thanks! That proved the backlight's pretty much redundant with the glow material! The only thing is how long the glow will last before you have to recharge it with a flashlight, but that's easy to do.

The concept of putting glow material behind digital LCD is not new, in fact as far back as the 70's. Here's member ChromeFreeDisco's post with a video of his Fairchild Tritium LCD watch. But somehow the concept was not widespread commercially, nor did other watchmakers (as far as I searched) use just regular analog watch lume for the same purpose like you did. I wonder why? It's so simple! Instead the originally power hungry EL panel was such a big deal when it was first released in 1992 by Timex and then 1995 by Casio.
    Wow that is awesome! I wonder why no one has made an attempt to make this work. I bet that with the right research and materials the results would be even better. So, I modified a dummy Casio watch I have with a positive display, and I see that the positive display let's in way more light. The visibility is way better in the dark and improves more as your eyes adjust to low light.Name:  IMG_20170127_133159.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  34.4 KB

Looks good lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast