Modified GWM5610-1 for night time visibility - Page 3
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Modified GWM5610-1 for night time visibility

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Modified GWM5610-1 for night time visibility

Very strong glow from the Casio F-108. The interesting thing about this is that a model with an LED backlight has enough space behind the LCD for the Glow Tape. I expected a positive display LCD to let in more light for the Glow Tape, since this is why they are more easily readable than negative displays in low ambient light situations. But seeing it is still a revelation.

Are you aware that some LCDs (many Timexes) are positive display with ambient light, and yet negative display when lit. Backlit, that is. I wonder how they would display with your tape idea. I suspect that they would allow all the light IN to charge up the LCD, but it might be difficult to read the numbers, as it would all come out, too. Unless you wore polarized glasses? Or maybe the numbers would be brighter. Or, best case: they would look like your negative display, only brighter.

Also, OP, what kind of Glow Tape did you use, and where did you get it? Thanks again for bringing something new to the fore.

Quote Originally Posted by zabat View Post
    Very strong glow from the Casio F-108. The interesting thing about this is that a model with an LED backlight has enough space behind the LCD for the Glow Tape. I expected a positive display LCD to let in more light for the Glow Tape, since this is why they are more easily readable than negative displays in low ambient light situations. But seeing it is still a revelation.

Are you aware that some LCDs (many Timexes) are positive display with ambient light, and yet negative display when lit. Backlit, that is. I wonder how they would display with your tape idea. I suspect that they would allow all the light IN to charge up the LCD, but it might be difficult to read the numbers, as it would all come out, too. Unless you wore polarized glasses? Or maybe the numbers would be brighter. Or, best case: they would look like your negative display, only brighter.

Also, OP, what kind of Glow Tape did you use, and where did you get it? Thanks again for bringing something new to the fore.
    There are so many variations that could be possible, but I don't have any clue about the different types of LCD's. The type of vinyl tape I use is this one -----> Docooler Glow in the Dark Tape Premium Luminous Green Sheet Sticker Film for Warning Labels 3"*8" ¡. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PRKB9EE..._vvvsN9tgWZ643

The glow on this thing is ridiculous and lasts a while.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. Looking forward to trying out your mod. For a while I have been favouring analogue watches, because they could be read under very low light situations without performing any action, ie. pressing a button. But your mod enables this advantage to pertain to digitals as well. And of course, for light discipline situations, one could always cover up the watch.

OK, tried it on a W96H, a positive display lcd, with big digits. Success! If charged up with a light, it is very readable. Here's a quick shot. Note: I cut the edge off a bit. So there is an uneven border on the left side. Very curious to try it next with a positive display with a negative backlight. I think it will light up the whole surface, and the numbers even brighter. Or, it will be an unreadable wash out. Bets?

Name:  P1090505.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  847.3 KB

The led backlight is still usable, and bonus: you can set the alarms in the dark!
    Last edited by zabat; 4 Days Ago at 04:00. Reason: extra info
    Watch_Geekmaster likes this.

This is cool, will add it to the list of mod ideas. Would be nice for a free pics of how you applied it and where exactly, maybe a pic of the module removed?
    Last edited by Fergfour; 4 Days Ago at 17:58. Reason: typo

Name:  P1090504.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  1.51 MB

There's 6 clips. There is a piece of reflective paper behind the lcd. I removed it, and cut out a piece of GITD tape to replace it. The main thing is to remember the orientation of everything, and to be careful not to lose the alarm spring.

I'll have to take a junker apart and experiment. Good idea.

Update: Do not try this with a F91-W, as its lcd is mirrored at the back, and no glow from the tape will penetrate.
    Name:  P1090511.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  2.06 MB

Do not try this with a G-7900, as there is no space available, especially if you still wish to have backlight functionality. Also, the lcd is housed in a thin plastic module, which looks hard to open. And even if you did, there would be no clearance.
    Name:  P1090515.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  2.07 MB

I do have hopes for the W-800, as it seems to be very similar to the W96. I believe the modules are the same. We'll see if the interior architecture is the same.

edit: apologies for the almost useless pics. When I am in the midst of a by-your-pants-winging-it mod, I never remember to take pics. In the case of the F91-W, there is a clear hard plastic sheet behind the lcd mirror. Not sure what its purpose is, as the green led is on the side.
    Last edited by zabat; 3 Days Ago at 06:00.

edit. Just noticed: this is my 500th post! Thanks for the entertainment, you mad Wusers! Nau, back to business...

OK, as suspected, a watch that has a negative display backlight works best for this mod. And update on the positive display mod: while the watch does glow all night, after about an hour, the numbers can no longer be read. I think that the negative mods should fare better.

So today I thought I'd try an Armitron, which has a positive display, but when backlit, is negative, ie, only the numbers are lit.
    Name:  P1090517.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  1.20 MB

Too late to show it now, but the backlight was pretty cool, the time showing blue, and the date, red. Yes, I had to sacrifice the backlight, because there did not seem to be enough space for both the tape and the backlight panel. Even worse, since the battery is on its last legs, it is quite apparent that pressing the EL button causes a power drain, without producing any light.

But: the glow tape produces a very readable display. Likely all of the ambient light penetrates to the glow tape, and because of the lcd's polarization, only the digits allow any to escape. Perfect!

Name:  P1090516.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  1.54 MBName:  P1090518.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  1.52 MBName:  P1090520.JPG
Size:  1.49 MBName:  P1090521.JPG
Size:  1.51 MB
    So that's how they got the original backlight colours.

Here's a pic of the final result in a room in the pale cloudy, but bright, Vancouver weather. Looks OK.

Name:  P1090524.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  1.27 MB

Here are two comparison shots of yesterday's W96H, the Armitron, and my preternaturally accurate SKX779 Black Monster, whose lume has a certain reputation.

Name:  P1090522.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  803.6 KB
    Note: these are pics with NO backlight on. As a matter of fact, the Armitron has no backlight, only the glowtape. The backlight on the W96-H is still functional, but the glowtape casts a much more even glow, and is brighter besides.
    Name:  P1090523.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  811.0 KB

Next up: Timex Ironman Shock, Casio W-800H.
    Last edited by zabat; 2 Days Ago at 04:35.

OK, the full scale assault on the Timex will have to wait. Took it apart, popped the 4 clips, but I think this thing is glued together. Darn it.

But the W-800H was fairly easy, as expected. Even the backlight panel used the same masking paper. The only hassle was that, unlike the W96H, there were two tabs on the sides of the inside case, which had to be held aside when re-inserting the module. And after putting it back together, there was a huge piece of dust inside. Given the hassle of dealing with the clips, and the fact that the crystal is scratched up anyway, I considered just leaving it. But in the end, I couldn't leave it, and so, had to deal with those darn clips after all. But it was easier the second time.

Name:  P1090541.JPG
Views: 6
Size:  1.51 MBName:  P1090542.JPG
Size:  1.49 MB
    So, here's the result. L > R, W800H, Armitron 408095SIL, Seiko SKX779 (super accurate, as always). Best results: Choose a positive display, with a negative backlight, and big digits.
    Name:  P1090546.JPG
Size:  771.8 KB
    edit: no backlights were used in the production of these photos.
    Last edited by zabat; 19 Minutes Ago at 19:44.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3