View Poll Results: Which is more reliable and long lasting? Automatic, solar, or battery operated watches?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Automatic watches (manual watches included--or mechanicals)

26 20.16%
  • Solar operated watches

63 48.84%
  • Battery operated watches

47 36.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Which is more reliable? Automatic, solar, or battery operated watch?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Which is more reliable? Automatic, solar, or battery operated watch?

Sorry if this question has been discussed and answered but I'm hoping to learn more of any updated information regarding the reliability of solar, automatic, and battery operated watches. I'm considering --again-- a new watch and there is one particular watch that comes in three variations (solar, auto, and battery operation). Of course, I would like to buy the one that is most reliable, and I have included a poll to see which one you feel/think is the most reliable and long-lasting. If you have any new information regarding this topic, please share. Thank you!! (Vote for only one).
    Last edited by Sub4; December 15th, 2009 at 21:54.

Re: Which is more reliable? Automatic, solar, or battery operated watch?

Well it depends what stage the battery is. If it is a full battery, then that is the most reliable since it has no dependant variable such as the sun, but if it is at the stage where it will die any moment, a solar powered watch will save your life. So I think it is safe to say solar power is more reliable in the long run (3+ years) and battery power is better in the short run (2~3 years)

Most reliable in the short to mid-term is a battery quartz.

Most long-lasting in the mid to long-term is an automatic because it is repairable.

Which means I can't vote for any of the options...
    Crusader Mk1148 • Damasko DA36 • G-Shock GW-2310 • Grand Seiko SBGX061 • Jaeger-LeCoultre Memovox (1960s) • Junghans Max Bill • Omega Speedmaster • Sinn UX • Tutima Flieger Chronograph 1941 ​• Wempe Zeitmeister

Quote Originally Posted by NameMyName View Post
    Well it depends what stage the battery is. If it is a full battery, then that is the most reliable since it has no dependant variable such as the sun, but if it is at the stage where it will die any moment, a solar powered watch will save your life. So I think it is safe to say solar power is more reliable in the long run (3+ years) and battery power is better in the short run (2~3 years)
    In the arctic circle this time of year it is dark 24/7 so Solar is no good there.

I voter battery power. There is models with 5, 7 and 10 year batteries.

I initially voted for Quartz. But I guess it's true, you gotta look at the scenario and environment.
    That Ain't an Igloo, thats my Watch. That ain't snow, thats my Chain. That Ain't an ice tray, thats my teeth. That's not a snowcone, thats my ring
    - Orient Orange Mako
    - Orient "Pepsi" Mako
    - Orient Star (Rose Gold w/ power reserve)
    - Android Tattooed Banker (Yellow)
    - Movado
    - G-Shock 5600, 6900

10 year battery is very reliable and easy to replace.
    Solar battery : can last more than 10 years as far as I know, and the solar battery can also be replaced. One condition though : if you don't wear it one year don't put it in a drawer, it will empty its battery.
    Automatic : are there any automatic G ?

So, battery and solar are both enough reliable.
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*3) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    In the arctic circle this time of year it is dark 24/7 so Solar is no good there.

I agree but isn't artificial light enough to re-charge on a regular basis a solar battery ?
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*3) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

If I was stuck on a deserted island a reliable watch is what I would want to have on, and that would be a good solar powered digital watch IMO, because obviously you wouldn't be able to deal with a dead battery and any mechanical/automatic watch will wear out eventually and require repair (not as accurate either) . A GW6900 would be ideal or a G2300 series.

I replaced the battery in my DW5600c which i bought new in 1988 last year for the first time, i was impressed i have to say

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post

+1 here! Solar powered watches gives you the obligation to expose it regularly to light. Put automatics in your drawer and it will stop running. How can I rely on these watches? I vote for battery power.
    JUNGHANS Radio-Controlled WWVB, G-2500, GL-150, G-7300 TOUGH SOLAR, G-9100 GULFMAN,
    G-9000 MUDMAN, DW-5600 MODULE 901, DW-5000SL, DW-8200 FROGMAN, G-2900, Timex (Analog) Perpetual Calendar Model T2D461, Freestyle (Analog) Shark Hammerhead, Timex (Analog) Perpetual Calendar Model T45441.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information