New Casio ProTrek Smart WSD-F20 - Page 2
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: New Casio ProTrek Smart WSD-F20

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: New Casio ProTrek Smart WSD-F20

Here's an article with more info about the WSD-F20.

Casio Pro Trek Smart WSD-F20 GPS Watch | aBlogtoWatch
    JamesAtCT likes this.

Nice to see an update on Casio smart watch, adding GPS and less dependency on the phone connection is great.

But for me, still no comparison to Fenix 3 because of ANT+ connection for sensors / training / log / course / etc. Side note, I am not considering the 5X because the smart sensors and mapping doesn't justify the cost ... yet. Maybe when they put all the 5X features in the 5S case, then I would be more intrigued. :)
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Wonder what map formats they will use for this? Proprietary, or will you be able to use OSM maps.

I see a baro and compass is included, but haven't read anything about a thermometer. Anyone know?

No cardio sensor?
    The best Casio G-Shock is the next one...

As more I think about it, as more it seems to be better to order the new Fenix 5 ...
    Sent from my NOKIA 1011 using Takatuka ...

Greetings from Germany - harald-hans

Watch_Geekmaster likes this.

I think a version HR with Heart monitoring, is a MUST
    The best Casio G-Shock is the next one...

Banned

Nice!

Finally read through all the linked articles / product web pages, and watched the video in detail. Looks like a promising product, but as always I have reserves about emerging technology, so I say it's yet to see from real world experiences and reviews. Here are couple of interesting things I noticed.

One, looks like the advertisement's heavily aimed for the U.S. market, with multiple U.S. map references shown in the video. Wonder how well this watch would work in other parts of the world, especially on the availability of downloadable maps.

Two, lots of emphasis on the advance functions, especially about maps and GPS, in the advertisement and product web pages. But Not much about the basic functions, such as timer(s), stopwatch(es) and alarms, as well as lack details about the ABC/T sensors. Details such as accuracy, measurement duration, graphing capability (e.g. barograph), and whether it has horizontally compensated compass, MSLP adjustment, altimeter lock, etc. From the product pages, looks like it does have tide graph, but no moon phase. Though, since this is a smart watch, I presume you can add more functions through 3rd party apps. The watch is also running Android Wear OS, which I assume brings in bunch of common functions. Will see how well that OS platform works with the proprietary hardware/software from Casio. Also, how well firmware updates are being provided in the near future.

Three, power! I think it's not hard to see the main weakness of this watch is still its battery life / recharge frequency. "Normal use" of "more than 1 day, roughly" of battery life is still not that realistic for a long outdoor trekking journey. I assume if you're playing around with the color maps, GPS, and watch to watch communication (Moment Link), the battery will be drained even faster! Definitely not something you would depended on for survival situations.

Another thing to keep in mind for any smart watches, is the relatively short product life time. It wouldn't be long there goes WSD-F30 with Android Wear 3.0! That $500 bucks you spent for the WSD-F20 wouldn't last a few years, before the product's deem obsoleted!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkpitt73 View Post
    Only downside I see is retaining the side charging port. Users have complained it's unstable. Most AW watches use a cradle. Looks promising overall.
    I agree with the disadvantage of the charging port. While Casio didn't provide an official side profile picture of the WSD-F30's charging port / sensor side, the video Odie provided above has a very clear view of that side (see screenshot below).

Name:  WSDF20powerport.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  46.2 KB

It doesn't take much imagination to see that hole will accumulate all the wrist cheese overtime! They could have at lease provide a cover for it (correct me if they do).
    dirkpitt73, fcasoli and WES51 like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information