New Casio ProTrek Smart WSD-F20 - Page 3
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: New Casio ProTrek Smart WSD-F20

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: New Casio ProTrek Smart WSD-F20

I too agree with the disadvantages of a charging port (or even charging in general), but I don't think THIS charging port on the picture would accumulate much more dirt than e.g. a barometer sensor on any ABC watch.

The issue for me is more of having to have yet another charger on your desk or with you if you are going on a trip. Laptop charger, phone charger, bluetooth charger, camera charger and now watch charger. Great. What else?
    Last edited by WES51; January 7th, 2017 at 11:02.
    Watch_Geekmaster likes this.

Looks like the same port as the last one - The magnet that holds the cable to that port wasn't very strong. Hopefully they improve it.

I have no incidents of "wrist cheese" to report either. :)
    Hyphoktm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil13 View Post
    Looks like the same port as the last one - The magnet that holds the cable to that port wasn't very strong. Hopefully they improve it.

I have no incidents of "wrist cheese" to report either. :)
    Do you know if you can set 24hr time on the monochrome screen?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Few things that will keep me away from the watch:-

1) proprietary strap/lug design.
    2) non-solar
    3) limited CDT

Being fully digital I suspect (3) likely wont be an issue wont.

But from the pictures and read-up, (1) and (2) are likely.

For (1), they should have followed traditional lug designs so that we can use 3rd party straps (much like the PRG250/PRW2500).
    If they stop production on the straps and if we ever need a replacement, then we would be stuck (yup, its marketing.... they want us to buy new watches....)

Maybe for (2) Casio should have done some kind of hybrid charging approach (which would probably complicate the already bulky watch).

Stick in solar so that the watch can keep topped up which being used everyday (in normal usage mode).

And leave the current charging port in place (as is) for cable charging when serious topping up is needed (after a bout of heavy usage).

Quote Originally Posted by StupidNinja View Post
    Few things that will keep me away from the watch:-

1) proprietary strap/lug design.
    2) non-solar
    3) limited CDT

Being fully digital I suspect (3) likely wont be an issue wont.

But from the pictures and read-up, (1) and (2) are likely.

For (1), they should have followed traditional lug designs so that we can use 3rd party straps (much like the PRG250/PRW2500).
    If they stop production on the straps and if we ever need a replacement, then we would be stuck (yup, its marketing.... they want us to buy new watches....)

Maybe for (2) Casio should have done some kind of hybrid charging approach (which would probably complicate the already bulky watch).

Stick in solar so that the watch can keep topped up which being used everyday (in normal usage mode).

And leave the current charging port in place (as is) for cable charging when serious topping up is needed (after a bout of heavy usage).
    being android wear with its processor, heavier requirements and limited space for solar panels, i am pretty sure solar wont be able to keep up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Everdying View Post
    being android wear with its processor, heavier requirements and limited space for solar panels, i am pretty sure solar wont be able to keep up with it.
    The hybrid suggestion isn't meant to mean that the solar is used to keep charging while, eg, GPS is being used. It certainly wont be able to handle that during heavy loads.

It is convenient for when we have, eg, just completed some outdoor activity and the watch can then recover by itself.

There are many times when I want to go out for my long hike and I have to make sure my Ambit 3 is charged up by plugging it in before going out.

The hybrid solar would at least ensure prior to use, the battery is at least being charged. And if insufficient, direct cable charging can be used.

This is what I meant by the hybrid system.

My Ambit 3 is used heavily, with a few days "rest" in between. And while it is "resting" battery is being depleted. So I have to plug it in to charge.

With solar, it can recover by itself. And if insufficient, the cable is always there.

Quote Originally Posted by StupidNinja View Post
    The hybrid suggestion isn't meant to mean that the solar is used to keep charging while, eg, GPS is being used. It certainly wont be able to handle that during heavy loads.

It is convenient for when we have, eg, just completed some outdoor activity and the watch can then recover by itself.

There are many times when I want to go out for my long hike and I have to make sure my Ambit 3 is charged up by plugging it in before going out.

The hybrid solar would at least ensure prior to use, the battery is at least being charged. And if insufficient, direct cable charging can be used.

This is what I meant by the hybrid system.

My Ambit 3 is used heavily, with a few days "rest" in between. And while it is "resting" battery is being depleted. So I have to plug it in to charge.

With solar, it can recover by itself. And if insufficient, the cable is always there.
    ya, even with no load on it...the solar wont be able to charge the watch to have a significant difference.
    remember these things have much bigger batteries than regular solar watches that we all know.
    so while solar may be able to say get 10% extra juice from a regular watch in a day, it wont make much difference to a smart watch.
    Nemo_Sandman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Everdying View Post
    ya, even with no load on it...the solar wont be able to charge the watch to have a significant difference.
    remember these things have much bigger batteries than regular solar watches that we all know.
    so while solar may be able to say get 10% extra juice from a regular watch in a day, it wont make much difference to a smart watch.
    Hopefully Casio can come up with some new awesome "magic dust" that they can sprinkle on their solar charging technology !!

the obvious way forward is for smart watches to have user-replaceable batteries, as phones dont seem to want to have those anymore.

something like a Swatch with its very easily replaced battery can have a 200m WR, so theres no reason why smart watches cant do that either...seeing as this F20 only has a pathetic 50m WR.
    then everyone can carry an extra battery, heck even stick it in a wallet.

randb - Doesn't look like there's a way to set the monochrome screen to 24 hour, unless I just can't find it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information