Thread: Proof of Concept: Shiny Silver G-8000 Successfully Dyed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proof of Concept: Shiny Silver G-8000 Successfully Dyed.

Hi everyone
    Recently there has been a degree of discussion whether it is possible to dye the shiny band and bezel from a G-8000. I've been experimenting this evening and discovered that it is possible to dye the bezel and strap but you must use paint-stripper first.

Those of you who own a Shiny G-8000 will note that it is shiny on primarily one side. This got me thinking, was it painted on?

So I used Nitro Mors paint stripper to remove the paint from the bezel and strap and it worked a treat! This stuff is lethal to regular bezels and straps in the G shock line! If you want to melt a DW5600 bezel and strap this is the stuff to do it with! (I tried it with a crumbled 5600c bezel I had laying around)

But for some reason it worked without damaging the straps of the silver G-8000. Is it rubber?

The bezel however is a bit trickery. For some reason the paint is much harder to remove from the bezel with the Nitro Mors stripper and it looks as if it is actually deforming it! but this is short lived and once the bezel is placed in some boiling hot water, it returns to its normal shape once more.

I didn't find any Black Dylon dye at Woolies so I picked up a Havana Brown one (75p, Bargain!) just to see if it was possible to dye it.

So as a proof of concept, yes it is possible to dye a shiny G-8000 to a more subtle colour but be careful with the stripper!

This is the one I used as a test. Purchased it from a respected WUS member recently - perfect transaction.

This is the badboy I used to strip the "shiny paint" from the strap and bezel. "Ideal for wood, metal and masonry." Hrmmm nothing about G shock bezels and straps!

This shot is of the straps after the shiny silver paint was removed with the Nitro Mors paint striper. Notice how the once shiny side now matches the unpainted regular inner strap.

This one is of the straps dyed "Havana Brown" (Guess who forgot to add the strap keeper to the soup )

I'll post pics of the finished product once I've put it all together.

That time is now! Not perfect but as a proof of concept I'm happy with it. I think I'll pick up some black dye and redo it just to give it a nice finish.

This final shot clearly shows where I accidently on purpose left some Shiny silver on the strap to see what effect the dying process had on the paint. As you can see, the Havana Brown dye has turned the Shiny Silver to a golden brown. Based on this I think that a Black dye bath would turn it close to something like the shiny black version that Casio already produce.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Mint G; September 14th, 2008 at 18:43.
    A lesson for us all...
    Louis
    : Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is the sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!
    Pawnbroker: You got a receipt?
    Louis: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
    Pawnbroker: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.

Re: Proof of Concept: Shiny Silver G-8000 Successfully Dyed.

didnt know u can strip down the color. good job. cant wait for the complete assembly.
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Thanks for giving this a try and posting the details. I've always wondered what it would take.

Haha, I absolutely love this forum

Where else will you find someone using paint stripper and 75p dye on a watch, just to see whether or not it'd work!

PIC.....i wana see the pic wif dyed G-8000 on wrist.....

Quote Originally Posted by bjornkeizers View Post
    Haha, I absolutely love this forum

Where else will you find someone using paint stripper and 75p dye on a watch, just to see whether or not it'd work!
    'He who dares Rodders! He who dares....'

Complete project pics added to original post.

Last edited by Mint G; September 14th, 2008 at 18:44.
    A lesson for us all...
    Louis
    : Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is the sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!
    Louis: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.

Pics added of completed project. :thanks
    A lesson for us all...
    Louis

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

How far back does your thumb bend?

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

Quote Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
    How far back does your thumb bend?
    LOL I was thinking the same thing!!
    Relax, everything is eventual.
    Steinhart Vintage Red
    Citizen Eco-Zilla S/S
    Seiko Diver SKX173
    Luminox Diver Model 3001
    G-Shock Riseman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information