Protrek displays 'open' message - Page 2

Thread: Protrek displays 'open' message

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Protrek displays 'open' message

Hi Ben,

Have you got the problem resolved? My protrek PRG-80T suddenly has this problem.

Regards,

Aaron

its either like Sjors, Lexx, and Chris said.

a) spring not touching backplate
    b) need to reset

from your pic, is the small 'plate' peeling off a little bit?

on top of my head, both are easy corrected. please let us know how it goes. we dun want u to be Casioless.
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

Yes it's the spring not touching backplate. I've had my 'open' message fixed. BUT I accidentally damaged the membrane of the barometer sensor! Now my Protrek is down to having 2 sensors... sob sob

Quote Originally Posted by aaronlkh View Post
    Yes it's the spring not touching backplate. I've had my 'open' message fixed. BUT I accidentally damaged the membrane of the barometer sensor! Now my Protrek is down to having 2 sensors... sob sob
    If the membrane is damaged then it also might be leaking water so I suggest declaring it RIP and get a new one...

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    If the membrane is damaged then it also might be leaking water so I suggest declaring it RIP and get a new one...
    Thanks Joakim for your advice! I'm aware of that possibility so haven't dipped the watch in water since. Will seal off the sensor and use the watch for the remaining functions. In fact I seldom use the barometer/altimeter.

Cheers,

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ben_stanton View Post
    Hi guys, old watch not used for about 2 years. I put a new battery in, went through the ac reset procedure but it still displays 'open' on the screen. The digital watch resets to 12 obviously, but not one button functions.

It is a protrek prt-50 and module 1376.

Somebody said it could be a spring that has fallen out that needs contact with the casing. I can provide a picture if that helps.

Going away to New Zealand on Sunday and really wanted it sorted by then...

Help muchly appreciated.

Ben
    After a long delay, the answer is:
    The problems is very simple: On the back cover (inside) is a little Cu metal Part. This part is glued to back cover using a poor glue (rubbered glue) and, in time, is moving from original position. You must put back this parts to original positin ( a little hole inside of back cover) and glue using a good glue. When the back cover is mounted , this part must have a ferm contact with two springs from mechanism (sensor for back cover open).
    If beatwin this springs isn't a electric short (using Cu metal parts) the internal mechanism of watch "see" the back cover is open and show "OPEN" on screen!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Welcome to the forum, ByCO!
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information