Riseman too quite
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Riseman too quite

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riseman too quite

Hello,

Just wondering why my Riseman has very quite alarms; is this normal?
    I did suspect the battery but it's always at high charge! Could it be reporting fake capacity?

Thanks

Re: Riseman too quite

I don't have a Riseman, but a quiet beeper is a common issue with many G-Shocks, including quite a few that I own. I believe it's a function of the design. In general, I don't think it's caused by low battery voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by hishammsm View Post
    Hello,

Just wondering why my Riseman has very quite alarms; is this normal?
    I did suspect the battery but it's always at high charge! Could it be reporting fake capacity?

Thanks
    All G-Shocks tend to have rather weak alarm signals (with the exception of the very rare old G-Mix GM-100 models with a sound chamber at the back). Especially solar models have weaker alarms just as they have weaker back lights. This is due to lower maximum burst power levels compared to regular battery powered ones!

Non G-Shocks tend to have a little higher alarm tones due to lower mass and less substantial back plates and sometimes more empty space inside the case. If you lift up the G-Shock slightly off your wrist to create a small gap between the back plate and wrist you will notice that the alarm signal becomes stronger sounding this is due to the bigger sound chamber you created with that small gap.

With this said there is things that can make the alarm signal even weaker compared to what is normal for the model in question. One such factor is that the alarm spring/tab is not fully in contact with the piezoelectric speaker on the back plate. Another is that the piezoelectric speaker have become slightly loosened from the back plate due to either less then perfect mounting at the factory or the watch have been exposed to extreme heat making the metal in the back plate expand, this can cause the speaker not getting the perfect solid attachment to the back plate it needs so the sound will become weaker. If the speaker have become misaligned even the slightest in relation to the alarm spring/tab this will also cause weak alarm or no alarm at all. The solution to these problems is to open up the back plate and make sure the module is properly seated and to buy a new replacement back plate.

It is difficult to tell if your Riseman is just normal quiet or too quiet due to the issues I described above.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks guys for your replies, regarding solar models having lower alarm sound, I do agree however compared to my rangeman, the riseman's still too low, in fact it's the most silent G I owned.

near Manhattan... Status: Entering phase three.

The worst offender I've found is the GW-M5610 (and M5600). Way too faint to be of any use, except in the most quiet room. Any background noise instantly drowns it out. I do have a Riseman and found it almost as bad. No excuse for it, really. CASIO should not have skimped in this important area. It's one of my greatest pet-peeves with the G-Shock brand.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    The worst offender I've found is the GW-M5610 (and M5600). Way too faint to be of any use, except in the most quiet room. Any background noise instantly drowns it out. I do have a Riseman and found it almost as bad. No excuse for it, really. CASIO should not have skimped in this important area. It's one of my greatest pet-peeves with the G-Shock brand.
    My worst one is the GLX-5600-1. It must be similar to the GW-M5610, based on your description. Not too useful.

near Manhattan... Status: Entering phase three.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    My worst one is the GLX-5600-1. It must be similar to the GW-M5610, based on your description. Not too useful.
    Yeah, I think that GLX is a twin. Either same or very similar module. I still have no clue if it's something to do with the batch of piezo speakers made for the case back, or if its the programming of the module. Who knows if there is some power attenuation for what's delivered to the speaker that regulates the decibel level.

You know what I'd really like to see is CASIO giving a big thank you to the G-Shock watch community and have a live Reddit session with a CASIO engineer. He'd speak about their engineering efforts, some cool "inside stuff", and then take some questions from the audience. This would be one I'd definitely like to ask!
    GaryK30 likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

realized it was a typo, but at first glace, i thought this was a fill in the blank-finish this sentence thread,,,,lol
    I am responsible for what I say, not your Hidden Content to comprehend.

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by kubr1ck Hidden Content
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by kubr1ck Hidden Content
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerswit View Post
    realized it was a typo, but at first glace, i thought this was a fill in the blank-finish this sentence thread,,,,lol
    Sorry didn't get what you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by hishammsm View Post
    Sorry didn't get what you meant?
    I think he's referring to "quite" versus "quiet" in the thread title.
    xevious likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information