Thread: Seiko's GW-M5600... Does anyone own the SBPG001... I have a couple of questions.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Off Topic post Seiko's GW-M5600... Does anyone own the SBPG001... I have a couple of questions.

Forgive me for posting this in the G-Shock forum, but this is the only one I
    visit, and I only own one watch... Yep, you guessed it a GW-M5600.
    I have always wanted a solid metal version of the GW-M, but was not in
    much doubt that Casio would never make one.... and then came Seiko..

This is almost the watch of my dreams, it has been over 20 years since
    Seiko put a new digital watch on the market and it is very much like the
    GW-M in all respects, except it would make quite a nice dress watch.

The price is a little steep, I would think $200 would be more the mark but
    if the build quality is there I could live with it. I just have a couple of
    questions regarding the watch.

1. How long can you set the count down timer for..?

2. Does it have an hourly chime..?

3. What exactly is the difference between the SBPG001 & the SBPG003..?

I'd love to hear everyones opinion on this watch, do you chaps like it..?

Cheers, Rico.

Last edited by RicoUK; January 26th, 2009 at 21:43.

Re: Seiko's GW-M5600... Does anyone own the SBPG001... I have a couple of questions.

Hello there,

I don't normally post reviews but your thread was perfect timing... I just got the SBPG001 on Friday and ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS WATCH! IT IS SWEET! I was going to post a thread titled "The metal GW-M5600 I have been looking for". I know its different than the GW-M5600... but its close enough and is everything I was looking for. I recently got addicted to G-Shocks and LOVE the GW-M5600. I tried wearing it to work with "dress clothes" and it just didn't feel right for me so I was on a hunt for a, what seemed to be non-existent, metal GW-M5600.

I have seen several comments about it not being anything special, but to me its perfect. I feel like I am wearing a top of line timepiece from the 70's but with all the current technology.

To answer your specific questions:

The countdown timer can only be set to 9 hours 59 minutes in minute increments

There is no hourly chime

I don't know the difference between the two watches you mentioned.

Other comments.

There is an icon for the stopwatch that comes on when you activate the stopwatch... that icon shows in all modes to remind you that you have the stopwatch running.

The same holds true for the timer function...

The dual time zone is awesome as it shows on the main screen so both times are visibile at the same time.

The fit and finish are spotless - beautiful watch!

I wish the bracelet was a little thicker... not width, but thickness. It is not by any means thin, but I am used to thick bracelets. Having said that, with the watch head and retro styling the bracelet is actually in perfect proportion.

All in all, I thought I might be flipping this watch as soon as it arrived from Seiya, but when I opened it, I knew this 70's retro watch would be staying in the stable.

I know that there will be several comments about the capabilities of this watch for the money... but as they say, it speaks to me, so I love it. I have no issue with the price tag for what I got.

You can see some pics here.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=4204176&rid=0

Enjoy!

Re: Seiko's GW-M5600... Does anyone own the SBPG001... I have a couple of questions.

P.S. On the Sieya Picture you posted the bracelet link closest to the watch head appears to "taper" on both sides... its doesn't... those are two little pieces of left over protective tape that Sieya must not have removed before taking the picture. That top link is actually flat straight across(which is a good thing and looks correct).

Regards.

Off Topic post Re: Seiko's GW-M5600... Does anyone own the SBPG001... I have a couple of questions.

Dreed.. You are a star, thanks for that, very much appreciated. The only
    bummer is I may just have to get this watch.... It really is a metal GW-M5600 isn't it.

Shame about the hourly chime, but the 10 hour timer and dual time display
    make up for that. I figured being a Seiko branded watch the build and
    finish would be good, but always nice to hear confirmation from an owner.

Enjoy your watch with good health, I may be joining sometime soon...

:thanks Rico.

If you even "think" you might like it... get it and you will LOVE it. I forgot to mention one other cool feature... when you are in dual time display mode you can hold down the mode button for 3 seconds and the two timezones will "flip" putting the 2nd timezone in the main display and moving your home timezone down to the secondary time location... very cool.

Later.

P.S. I just noticed these are popping up on ebay... although, my watch got here from Seiya in 4 business days... unreal.

for me its pretty similar in functions (and i do like the stopwatch icon idea) but the crystal looks very exposed and then there's the shock-less resistance..

sml

Quote Originally Posted by RicoUK View Post
    F
    This is almost the watch of my dreams, it has been over 20 years since
    Seiko put a new digital watch on the market
    This is not correct. There are plenty. Try looking for Seiko Life Sports or Seiko Super Athlete or SBDG001. Been around for years - maybe the Super Athlete released around 5 yrs ago and the others 2 or 3 yrs ago.

The SBDG001 (and other colour combos) are a very similar module.

http://watch-tanaka5.sub.jp/seiko/SBDG001/

Quote Originally Posted by RicoUK View Post
    I'd love to hear everyones opinion on this watch, do you chaps like it..?
    Check this thread out:
    Very interesting new digital model

Quote Originally Posted by dreed View Post
    There is no hourly chime
    How loud is the alarm versus the GW-M5600?

I also got my one last week.
    I really like it, its the old style digital dresswatch i wanted.
    Its a shame for Casio that there is no Marlin reissue, given all the multiband solar atomic modules available like the GW-M5600 module.

The quality and finish of the watch are perfect.
    So im somewhat scared to wear it.
    Thats the difference to the 5600 with its resin hull....

And of course the price is quite high.

Anyhow, i dont regret it...

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    I also got my one last week.
    I really like it, its the old style digital dresswatch i wanted.
    Its a shame for Casio that there is no Marlin reissue, given all the multiband solar atomic modules available like the GW-M5600 module.

The quality and finish of the watch are perfect.
    So im somewhat scared to wear it.
    Thats the difference to the 5600 with its resin hull....

And of course the price is quite high.

Anyhow, i dont regret it...
    Two questions: Did you guys get the silver or the black version? Also -- and I don't know a "politically correct" way to put this -- how "geeky" is this watch? Something about a rectangular, metal, digital watch seems to up the geek quotient for me over a plastic watch of the same shape/design. (That's not necessarily a bad thing. Besides, a guy who owns as many watches as I do -- many of them G-Shocks -- can't be pointing fingers!)

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Kronos; January 26th, 2009 at 23:36.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information