Is Tough Solar reliable?

Thread: Is Tough Solar reliable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Tough Solar reliable?

Hi everybody,
    tough solar is not around for a very long time. While Casio website claim that tough solar eliminate the need to change batt. But has it prove the reliability of G-shock tough solar that can outlast a proven 10yrs batt G-shock watch?

I was attempting to get tough solar watch 1 week ago but was stopped by the shop owner. He told me he has a number of tough solar G-shock watch owner returning their watch for repair after using it for 2-3 yrs. The price to change tough solar rechargeble batt is much more higher than normal wrist watch batt. Some more,a few of them have their capacity spoil and will cost even more money. Plus,u cannot get the replacement of rechargeble batt done in any normal watch shop and must directly ship back to the respective service center which means waiting for few days to a week to get yr beloved watch back.

The shop owner did not coax me to get other type of watch. His service and explanation looks sincere and doesn't appear of attempting to rip me off. In the end,i left his shop without buying anything but left a big thought for me of whether to continue seeking a tough solar G-shock or looking for a proven 10yrs batt G-shock watch.....

So I just want to get a feedback of all tough solar watch user. How u find yr collection and how true is this shop owner comment abt the relabilties of tough solar?

Re: Is Tough Solar reliable?

I've had numerous solar G-shocks and all were reliable. The problem occured with the older models that used the first batch of 1616 rechargable batteries. The ones made in the past few years though do not use those defective batteries anymore so no problems.

I would be cautious of a GW-300 that has been sitting in a case for a few years though since it could still have one of those earlier batteries, but your modern ones I wouldn't worry about.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by perfectlykevin View Post
    I've had numerous solar G-shocks and all were reliable. The problem occured with the older models that used the first batch of 1616 rechargable batteries. The ones made in the past few years though do not use those defective batteries anymore so no problems.

I would be cautious of a GW-300 that has been sitting in a case for a few years though since it could still have one of those earlier batteries, but your modern ones I wouldn't worry about.

Kev
    Thanks... I think I try to get a MTG911..haha!

In the most fracked up country of the world

Quote Originally Posted by GMT-II View Post
    Thanks... I think I try to get a MTG911..haha!
    great looking watch, though I wish you good luck to find one. the only seller I'm aware of, who sold it was superchrono.com but their site is down since a couple weeks now for reasons unknown....

about the so called "10 years battery" vs. tough-solar models: I wrote what I think about it in this thread: Question on this watch....

regards, holger
    A.M. should burn in Hell

short version: Is tough solar reliable? my take is NO. And will I buy any newly released casio WITHOUT tough solar? Almost never (ok, maybe the new RECHARGEABLE GPS watch is an exception)

long version: tough solar is not the ultimate reliable G-Shock. if you want ultimate in reliability, i would definitely go with one of the 10 years G-Shock (or other battery operated G-Shock with basic timing function)

my take on it is that tough solar adds components to the circuitry and its just one (or more) more point for failure/defects. so a traditional li ion battery is simpler and should be more reliable.

having said that, i probably won't be buying any newly released model WITHOUT tough solar . cause i enjoy not having to worry about battery change (most of my watches are sitting there doing nothing MOST of the time cause I can only wear one watch at a time and i have more watches than the number of days in a month). And I enjoy the guilt free use of EL/LED and atomic if applicable (and sensors function for the pathfinders)

though I have heard of quite a few failed tough solar casio watches, i have yet encountered one in my own collection. (keeping my finger crossed ) and my take on it is that casio should have addressed the battery issue by now (or maybe even long ago) and most likely the failed watches were from earlier productions.

and put into consideration that almost all happy customer without problem won't go telling people everywhere that they are happy with their trouble-free casio. and only the people with problem with be complaining to everybody they know. so this issue may have been blown out of proportion as well. also, a lot of people only read/hear about the failed watches and don't actually experienced a failed watch. (myself included )

my $0.02 is if you like one, buy one and be happy with it and don't worry about the solar cell crapping out (cause most likely, it won't. if it does, then you can still send it back for warranty or do a DIY solar cell change)

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
    short version: Is tough solar reliable? my take is NO. And will I buy any newly released casio WITHOUT tough solar? Almost never (ok, maybe the new RECHARGEABLE GPS watch is an exception)

long version: tough solar is not the ultimate reliable G-Shock. if you want ultimate in reliability, i would definitely go with one of the 10 years G-Shock (or other battery operated G-Shock with basic timing function)

my take on it is that tough solar adds components to the circuitry and its just one (or more) more point for failure/defects. so a traditional li ion battery is simpler and should be more reliable.

having said that, i probably won't be buying any newly released model WITHOUT tough solar . cause i enjoy not having to worry about battery change (most of my watches are sitting there doing nothing MOST of the time cause I can only wear one watch at a time and i have more watches than the number of days in a month). And I enjoy the guilt free use of EL/LED and atomic if applicable (and sensors function for the pathfinders)

though I have heard of quite a few failed tough solar casio watches, i have yet encountered one in my own collection. (keeping my finger crossed ) and my take on it is that casio should have addressed the battery issue by now (or maybe even long ago) and most likely the failed watches were from earlier productions.

and put into consideration that almost all happy customer without problem won't go telling people everywhere that they are happy with their trouble-free casio. and only the people with problem with be complaining to everybody they know. so this issue may have been blown out of proportion as well. also, a lot of people only read/hear about the failed watches and don't actually experienced a failed watch. (myself included )

my $0.02 is if you like one, buy one and be happy with it and don't worry about the solar cell crapping out (cause most likely, it won't. if it does, then you can still send it back for warranty or do a DIY solar cell change)
    What is a "DIY solar cell change"?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    What is a "DIY solar cell change"?
    DIY = Do it yourself

(get the solar cell and change it yourself )

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
    DIY = Do it yourself

(get the solar cell and change it yourself )

The solar powered technology is still pretty new to actually tell?

But, if you read the forum it is usually the early models with the problems were people have problems with them.

Look at how many Raysman's go belly up and that's the first generation. Pretty reliable when looked at from that POV. I think Casio rushed to get the GW-300's out and had some problems with that first ge. smaller battery. I wouldn't worry now though since those problems are in the past.

Kev

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information