What does limited edition mean, anyway?

Thread: What does limited edition mean, anyway?

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What does limited edition mean, anyway?

I know it means they are only produced for a certain amount of time, but does it also mean there is a certain AMOUNT? Or is it a few months of mass production and then stop?

Wondering how many MIRB Frogmen they will produce before they cut the production

Re: What does limited edition mean, anyway?

Most of the time it's a meaningless marketing term.

It means they change the colour of the model's band temporarily and pretend they're in short supply by releasing them as a slow trickle, and then charge twice as much for them...

...voila.

In answer to your question, Casio only tell how many they're actually making when they want to sell them for an extra special price, but see also Casiophile's response.

The term has been much devalued in recent years. A limited edition should have a small and fixed production run, and should offer distinct advantages over standard models.

Casio's LEs are really just short-lived variants. As casiophile says, meaningless marketing.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

But wait a second! That guy told me my Limited Edition Truck was the ONLY one!
    MINE:
    Orsa Military
    PRG-110G

HER'S:
    G5600CC-2
    GLX5600A-3
    Baby-G BG-169A

Sometimes LE means that a very limited batch will be produced for instance 1000 copys. These models that are limited this way often have their individual serial nr on the back.

But most often Limited Edition in the casio world means that it will be produced for a short time and for a limited market (mostly Japanese one), so there is no set limits to the quantity beeing produced but rather the limited market and the populariity of it will set the limits for how many casio will manufacture. But they always have limited runs (1-3 month production) so they will never become abundant. Also their higher price tag will keep the quantitys down abit.

I like the LE concept, we people tend to like to feel of exclusiveness and by buying and wearing something rare and limited then it feels rather special because most likely you will never or atleast very seldom see anyone else with the same model. And I like that feeling!

So I like the Limited Edition thingie Casio is doing but with the most recent LRG Frogman I think Casio took it out of line by charging $600 already at retail, that is just to much...

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    I like the LE concept, we people tend to like to feel of exclusiveness and by buying and wearing something rare and limited then it feels rather special because most likely you will never or atleast very seldom see anyone else with the same model. And I like that feeling!
    You said it. I have not seen one other LE that I own on anyone else. I work with too much of the public, but when I talk to people I notice what they wear. In fact, I had one guy taking off his watch today because I liked it and he didn't know what the model was. (How could he not know???) I definatley love that I can have something different than most and am willing to pay a higher price for those LE models.... but I will not pay $600 for one when I can often get two or almost two for that price. OUCH!! Definately went over-board with that one!

For me it means another reason to buy new G

Other wise it is just marketing strategy to boost sales.

Quote Originally Posted by flat-head-chris View Post
    But wait a second! That guy told me my Limited Edition Truck was the ONLY one!
    Must have been a used car salesman.

a very wise man once told me it means... limited by your budget
    in theory, theory and practice are much less the same, in practice it is hardly the case...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information