What makes us like G-Shock so much? - Page 3
Like Tree264Likes

Thread: What makes us like G-Shock so much?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: What makes us like G-Shock so much?

Watch lovers
    I'm 80 y o and remember the Dick Tracy toons ofmy youth
    2 way wrist radios? The concept, to me was as outlandish as
    space travel. Remember. This was 60+ year ago. We now have
    watches (Apple fer instance) that will perform a myriad of funct-
    ions.
    I was tardy (I'll admit) getting on the Casio GShock wagon.
    But now that I'm on the Casio wagon I intend to stay what few
    years I have left. Dont have bar bills, ciggie expenses etal. So I
    have large enuff retirement checks to buy my latest fave GShock.

I luv em. So does my SIL Mark. Now his 1st grader is into Casios
    (ProTrek I gifted him) Mark taught him to tell time using Digi and
    Analog methods.I forsee a lifelong affection for GS too. Jus like God
    wants!!!

XTraindriver Art
    frhoads, fish70, xevious and 7 others like this.

I recently found about G-Shocks when looking for a solid field watch. Since then, nothing compares.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckDELTA View Post
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.
    Oh that is most excellent. I will be quoting you from now on.
    arogle1stus likes this.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects.

I love mine because they are super functional, extremely durable, and I never have to worry about damaging or babying it. The ultimate in watch freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content C Hidden Content

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy sh@# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

near Manhattan... Status: Entering phase three.

For me, CASIO is the definitive brand for affordable, solid LCD digital watches. Timex and Suunto come next. Rip Curl? Reputation not solid enough. Freestyle? Meh. Armitron? Poor man's CASIO. SEIKO? They were priced quite a bit beyond CASIO, for no real appreciable gain other than interesting styling. Reliability wasn't as good. Today, they make some LCD watches but in very limited circles and too pricey for what you get. CITIZEN? They did try their hand at digital watches early on, and some were pretty damned impressive. But later on they abandoned LCD for all analog, or ana-digi. I sure wish they'd do an all LCD digital Eco-Drive!

CASIO watches accompanied me through my teenage years, into my 20's, so I have a long running appreciation for the brand. They were early pioneers of affordable solar recharged watches. LCD watches from all other brands were fragile (unless you spend more than double on SEIKO, or megabucks on an Omega, Hamilton, etc.). But CASIO G-Shocks were made in solid stainless steel cases shrouded in tough resin. Granted, most people would never challenge the toughness a G-Shock can withstand. Yet, there are always the occasional incidents that might destroy your typical LCD watch, where the G-Shock would take it in stride and might not even show the impact it received.

Lately, CASIO has moved in a very different direction. I think their analog G-Shocks are overpriced for what you get... so I'm waiting for the opportune time to buy a used one. Thankfully they're still striving to make good all LCD digital watches, but they've really not innovated enough where it counts. Mainly, they've failed to carry on their earlier tradition of full featured STW and CDT with ample duration. Oddly they leave out sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset data, when they could easily provide it. Lastly, they've done nothing to improve alarm tone loudness or configuration.
    Last edited by xevious; 5 Days Ago at 16:26.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

near Manhattan... Status: Entering phase three.

Quote Originally Posted by arogle1stus View Post
    Watch lovers
    I'm 80 y o and remember the Dick Tracy toons ofmy youth
    2 way wrist radios? The concept, to me was as outlandish as
    space travel. Remember. This was 60+ year ago. We now have
    watches (Apple fer instance) that will perform a myriad of funct-
    ions.
    I was tardy (I'll admit) getting on the Casio GShock wagon.
    But now that I'm on the Casio wagon I intend to stay what few
    years I have left. Dont have bar bills, ciggie expenses etal. So I
    have large enuff retirement checks to buy my latest fave GShock.

I luv em. So does my SIL Mark. Now his 1st grader is into Casios
    (ProTrek I gifted him) Mark taught him to tell time using Digi and
    Analog methods.I forsee a lifelong affection for GS too. Jus like God
    wants!!!

XTraindriver Art
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing, sir. Always great to hear of the older crowd showing Protrek & G-Shock appreciation.

How are your eyes doing? I ask because I know how legibility of small LCD display info can be a challenge in later years. Let us know what CASIO watches you have and wrist shots if you've got 'em.
    ruizjaime26 likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

My simple answer: they are cool, tough, and fun to wear.

Outside of a dress watch, that's what I'm looking for when I wear a watch. (and I only wear dress watches maybe once/week)

Speaking of dress watches, I have multiple ones, but at some point I might consolidate down to one or two -- the recent Seiko SARB065 that I got is very hard to beat! And it looks like a multi-thousand dollar watch - for less than $500.

I've had watches since I was seven, and then it was radium lumed and to my eyes, too small. Boy's watches in the early sixties weren't much to look at.

Since then I've tried a few and largely found most of them wanting in one way or another. Dress watches are for those who put on a suit and tie daily (and I did for a few years) which just tell how much longer it is to the next scheduled break from the subjugation to corporate procedure. Get away from the office, tho, and a whole new set of requirements come up.

I came to understand that G Shocks addressed most of those issue. Shockproof, sure, they make GI Hamiltons look like fragile frost flowers. Had one, don't drop it or you will see it's exceedingly capable of popping escapement springs out of their sockets. Easy fix but not field quality by a large margin. Dive watches are far superior, but in stainless they will abrade and look horrible in just months. Stainless is a common material and highly durable but it fails as a choice when in contact with abrasives. The commonly understood engineering choice for that is nice flexible rubber - to whit, 2" trash pumps commonly use rubber impellers, not stainless, and they are exponentially more durable and the part is comparatively cheap, too.

Automatics are their own worst enemy - a 6 second +/- a day accuracy is considered good, yes. In a month that is about 180 seconds +/-, not so much. They require weekly coordination with a standard reference to keep good time. With a screw down crown that is over 50 adjustment a year, and if you get a less expensive watch you quickly see the stem wearing in ways you think will compromise it's strength, much less the wear and tear on the o ring seals. Better something that keeps time to +/- 6 seconds a month. And we all know good quartz drivers can do that. Mine is running about 2 seconds a month. Really. It would take 90 months to be as off as a good quality auto is in one month.

Then there is looks. What do watches commonly look like? Machined metal case, bezel, and coordinating bracelet. I like them but just glance thru the catalogs on line, about the only substitution for tens of thousands of them is a strap, commonly leather, or fabric. Fabric straps will get funky with sweat and you can clean them but they still harbor microorganisms, moisture, and any fluid you spill on them, organic, petrochemical, etc. Nope, fabric straps are not a good long term solution to general wear. They are fashion, not so much function. Bracelets are a step up - but suffer all the same issues as the case, get a lot of abrasion on the off side of the wrist, and have a lot of joints and pins, any of which can fail. My Invicta Pro Diver is on a temporary strap precisely because the oddly sized pin holding the clasp fell out - can't use a spring bar as it's far too small. Fail. But - polymer straps have fewer connections, don't absorb chemicals or support organism growth, and are cheap and easy to replace. Much less shrug off abrasion like it was never there.

One last reason: Observe the masses and do the opposite. Everybody around us wears a metal cased watch with bracelet, and the most reknown watch made is exactly that. If it's the holy grail of watch ownership, fine. I know what to avoid. So I do the opposite - bought a rubber watch with rubber strap in black, not silver, with a ani digital dial that has numerous feature no affordable automatic could even attempt, enjoy it's superlative accuracy, and quietly snicker at all the angst over diameter matching wrist size, dial obsession, and Brand.

I can see the other watches sitting in a flea market case for 30c on the dollar and be happy.

G Shocks are just fun for me in this hobby. They are a less serious way to collect and have fun. I have a bunch of mechanical watches that I love for other reasons--to appreciate the engineering, to mark an important occasion, etc.

I needed a new hobby while being overseas for a few years ....and the G-Shocks always keep me wanting another, so many to choose from, and they meet my needs.
    ruizjaime26 and WES51 like this.
    Luminox 1881.BO Field Chrono
    G-Shock GPW-1000T-1A (The BEAST)
    G-Shock GD-350-1BER
    G-Shock GXW-56BB-1JF (The KING)
    G-Shock GW-9300GB-1JF (Mudman)
    G-Shock GD-350-1C (Custom - Black Bezel)
    G-Shock GWX-5600C-7JF (G-LIDE)
    G-Shock GW-5000-1JF
    G-Shock GD-X6900-1CR
    G-Shock GW-9300DC-1CR (Mudman - Custom - Black Bezel/Strap Screws, Black Strap keeper, Black Buckle)
    G-Shock G
    W-M5610-1BJF
    G-Shock GB-5600B-1JF
    G-Shock GD-X6900MC-1

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information