WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Glycine Airman 1953 Vintage LE appreciation thread - Owners please check in!

106K views 323 replies 80 participants last post by  DanieleBrs 
#1 · (Edited)
AIRMAN "1953 VINTAGE" - Tribute to a flying legend!

Greetings, as suggested by members here, I have started this official Glycine Airman "1953 Vintage" LE appreciation thread.

There are total 600 pieces made for this anniversary Airman Ref. 3904 released in September 2012. And owners for this model are spread all across the World, so the purpose of this thread is to gather as many owners here as possible and to record their locations.
b-)

Owners and admirers alike are free to post here with your LE number and a photo if possible. Any photos of your watch in action or simply sitting in your watch case or you just changed your strap, and you want everyone to admire it, please feel free to post up here.

I will try my best to keep this thread alive and going. Appreciate if other members could chip in and help out as well whenever you can.

Now on to some pictures of mine which is numbered 336/600. Location is Regina, Canada.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Fashion accessory Zipper Cap Webbing

See less See more
#139 ·
Interesting strap combos Achilles, not my cup of tea though. They look a bit too heavy duty for the '53, particularly the one with the roller buckle.

You did ask :-d

Reactions: Brice
#140 · (Edited)
Hahaha....yea I know bund is not everyone's cup of tea, but after trying it I really like it better than a NATO as I am not really a big fan of a NATO.

Historically I believe leather bunds were first used by the WWII pilots on their Flieger watches in 1940s. And an Airman being an Aviator watch primarily from 1950s era, I think it feels right at home on a leather bund.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#141 ·
Achilles, as for me, the 1st one is absolutely stunning. What's wrong with it in your opinion? Is it too hard, too rigid for you? I think this first one does really match the vintage style of the watch. Truly a piece of art. The other straps are ok, but I vote for the 1st one :) It really suits well our time machine. It's so great to visit this site from time to time and admire someones new ideas, new examples, different perception of the same thing. Many thanks to all of you guys for your pictures and your propositions in this subject.

#142 · (Edited)
Hi andrew, sorry I didn't realize you had asked a question. The first one is okay actually although it needs to get seasoned more, and it matched the watch like what you said. But I liked the leather on the bund much better. It was custom made to my wrist too.

Getting ready for winter here now, so I have switched it to my green canvas strap. I have also ordered a Martu vintage leather strap custom made. I have heard a lot about the Chile strapsmith and decided to give it a go for my Airman after viewing the various strap designs on Andrea's website. I feel the vintage brown leather strap with cream/beige stitch will match the Airman 1953 well, and I am very pleased with the result.

Posting some pictures here for your viewing pleasure!

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#146 ·
Thanks andrew!

Hello lightspire, welcome to the Glycine Airman 1953 thread...
These are terrific watches. Let us know what you end up getting.

#148 · (Edited)
Being a big fan of oyster bracelets, I have always wanted to place my Glycine Airman on one. But like others have pointed out, the long lugs might pose to be a problem for curved end links.

So after some research, I have decided to get the Strapcode oyster bracelet with solid links, submariner-like clasp and the straight end links. I think it will look cool as the end links are quite thick so it should fill out more gap in the lug area.

It is quite pricey but I have heard good stuff about the quality of Strapcode bracelets. Can't wait for my order to arrive, and I will post out pictures once it gets to me.

#149 · (Edited)
Merry X'mas folks, and a Happy New Year!!!
Hope everyone is having a blissful & joyous time with your friends and families.

I did receive the bracelet just before X'mas and I have to tell ya that I was pretty impressed upon receiving it and more so after wearing it on my Airman!
It seems my hunt for the perfect oyster bracelet for my Airman has ended, except for one small preference of mine which I overlooked and not of any
issue on the bracelet.

Upon wearing it, I found that the 20mm clasp is slightly bigger for my taste and that I will prefer a 18mm one.
A quick email to Strapcode settled it and they agreed to swap the bracelet for a 22-18 Oyster. Whew!
So off the bracelet has gone now and the waiting starts again for the replacement to arrive!

I am attaching some quick pictures for you to see...

Watch Wrist Fashion accessory Strap Hand
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver
Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Analog watch Jewellery
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Reactions: wtma
#152 ·
Achilles, very nice looking bracelet. Although I'm not a big fun of bracelets, I must admit that this one looks very solid and just very well built with an attention to detail. If I were you, I would probably stay with the all 20mm width, but of course everyone of us has his own personal preferrences. That's why the world is so amazing and interesting :) This is another one of your many great concepts and truly fine revisions of the "1953". You give us a never-ending inspiration ;)

Anthropic - what strap have you used in your watch. Is it original Glycine strap, or sthing else?

#153 · (Edited)
The replacement bracelet arrived and I have been wearing my Airman ever since on the bracelet. I love the look and feel, comfortable as well.

I think I will interchange between the bracelet and the leather strap between the seasons as the Airman looks good on both.

Reactions: Brice
#154 ·
I think that bracelet works quite well Achilles, the straight ends leaving a gap between the case gives a nice vintage look. It also appears to be better quality than the Glycine branded bracelet.

#155 ·
That's exactly what I feel too, Aquavit. It gives a vintage vibe to the Airman and the clasp gives it a modern look at the same feeling solid and secure. I think I have solved my own problem of sourcing a nice oyster bracelet for the Airman.

#157 ·
Very beautiful mate, both the watch and the scene! I'm trying hard to acquire this piece, I know I'm running out of time as it's limited edition. Hopefully I will be able to pull the trigger within a couple of month from now.

#162 ·
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Green Fashion accessory

So... after an impatient wait of 9 days, #577 has arrived in sunny Singapore on a warm Wednesday morning, straight from the Glycine factory! The local distributor (DKSH Singapore) claims that this is the last piece available at Glycine, and I had to initially wait a few days while they exchanged emails to check availability. I suppose any remaining pieces are at various stores waiting to be grabbed?

Anyway here we are, glad to be in the company of you gentlemen. Hope to post more pictures with a new strap soon.

Cheers!

#167 ·
#168 ·
Re: Black Sheep

Same thing happend to very good friend of mine. The watch arrived (brand new) misaligned. So it was sent back and replaced with another one whiche also arrived misaligned... My friend gave upp with this model and ordered a DC4 instead. Wonder how common this is?