WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

All Sapphire faces of same quality?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BigAO81 
#1 ·
I'm new to reading up on watches, but it seems sapphire faces are desirable. But are all sapphire lens/faces the same grade of quality and scratch resistance? At least in the under 1000 range? Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Sapphire in and of itself if significantly more durable and harder than any other watch face material. I read somewhere that diamonds are the only things that can easily scratch it...other things must be hit with force in order to make scratches.

Though sapphire crystals are powerful,there are different degrees of strength. Some companies offer double or triple layer sapphire which is extremely strong (and expensive.) One layer is still fine, and will prevent scratches like no one's business.

#7 ·
Though sapphire crystals are powerful,there are different degrees of strength. Some companies offer double or triple layer sapphire which is extremely strong (and expensive.) One layer is still fine, and will prevent scratches like no one's business.
Huh? Something doesn't seem right with this statement.

btw.. the moh scale is logarithmic

#3 ·
The harder they make them, the more likely they will crack on impact. Read that on one of the chrono blogs. As if they become less flexible. I won't buy anything not having sapphire now. Figure it adds $40 to 80 per watch at most.
trying to keep away from
painted bezels as well.

#6 ·
Titanium is 6 on the Mohns scale. I think I remeber it is softer than 316L steel, but harder than Iron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.