Like Tree19Likes

Thread: American-made watches?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

American-made watches?

I'm kinda new to good watches and am still learning, but was wondering if there are any American-made watches any more? Just curious.
    Thanks,
    Jedidiah Green

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: American-made watches?

Quote Originally Posted by dawgvet View Post
    I'm kinda new to good watches and am still learning, but was wondering if there are any American-made watches any more? Just curious.
    Thanks,
    Jedidiah Green
    RGM watches

RGM watches
    Kind regards
    Mike

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Sadly the real American watch industry is dead and has been for 40 years. RGM does have one model which is pretty close to American made but even then certain parts have to be imported.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I thought for a while that Bozeman Watch Co. assembled their watches in the US, but I think they outsource a lot. Good looking pieces though!
    Have a great day!
    Simon

I think Halios watches are made in Canada, that's like America.
    TAG Heuer Monaco Vintage LE|Omega Speedmaster Professional|Suunto X-Lander Mil|Hamilton Pan Europ|Flight Timer|Seiko SBDX001|Revue Thommen Chrono Diver

A man's watch is a very cherished thing. You steal that, you might as well be stealing his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I think Halios watches are made in Canada, that's like America.
    Like Homer said on a trip to Canada, why leave America to visit America Junior? I laughed at that one!

Seriously though, no, it's not.
    PluckyPaul likes this.
    Have a great day!
    Simon

This question pops up every few months, and I think the conclusion has always been: there are no completely American-made movements anymore, but there are a handful of good American-assembled watches. Fred Amos at Bernhardt makes some beauties, with Miyota or Unitas movements. Highly recommended. Here's my two-tone Officer, Unitas 6497.

Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Quote Originally Posted by downtempo76 View Post
    I thought for a while that Bozeman Watch Co. assembled their watches in the US, but I think they outsource a lot. Good looking pieces though!
    Awesome names too. Smokejumper GMT, Cutthroat, Sidewinder; really expensive though.
    TAG Heuer Monaco Vintage LE|Omega Speedmaster Professional|Suunto X-Lander Mil|Hamilton Pan Europ|Flight Timer|Seiko SBDX001|Revue Thommen Chrono Diver

A man's watch is a very cherished thing. You steal that, you might as well be stealing his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by downtempo76 View Post
    Like Homer said on a trip to Canada, why leave America to visit America Junior? I laughed at that one!

Seriously though, no, it's not.
    Well, it's still North America. And I've been to Canada (by the Falls). It was a lot like America, just cleaner and more polite.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgvet View Post
    Thanks,
    Jedidiah Green
    if you're genuinely interested in american made watches, go vintage. you will be amazed at the quality that used to be produced in the US.
    mrsnak, mebiuspower and cottontop like this.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information