Andrea Ragazzo hits our forum with his first collection
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Andrea Ragazzo hits our forum with his first collection

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Picture Andrea Ragazzo hits our forum with his first collection

Andrea Ragazzo (his Italian last name translates to "boy", "lad") sent me an email the other day and made me aware of his new watch brand: Ragazzo. Curious as I was to find out more, he sent me this Ragazzo R1 Watch to review:

Here is my unpacking report:

Name:  Ragazzo11.JPG
Views: 2017
Size:  83.4 KB

The white carbon box doesn't say anything other than the logo. I like the logo, reminds me if my own last name

Inside is the watch:

Name:  Ragazzo10.JPG
Views: 2041
Size:  92.2 KB

From the moment I saw the picture of the watch on the Ragazzo website, I was quite intrigued by the design. The black case, no bezel design, brownish hands and minutes, and the black numerals (with the bigger 3, 6, 9 and 12):

Name:  ragazzo8.JPG
Views: 1989
Size:  104.8 KB

I must admit I have to get used to the design for a moment, but it grows rapidly on me. I can see that Andrea puts much effort into the total of the watch. The color of that strap is almost perfect! The strap is attached to the lugs without spring bars. It's done like the old Panerai Radiomirs. I wonder what it will take to replace it. The black folding buckle is generic. Nice, good to operate, nothing more. It lacks the logo.

Name:  ragazzo6.JPG
Views: 2033
Size:  103.0 KB

That doesn't go for the back. There you can see the logo pretty well. It's a customized logo for the R1 watch. The solid case back is engraved with text: 316L Stainless Steel - 5 ATM - Swiss Quartz Movement - K1 Mineral Crystal

Name:  ragazzo7.JPG
Views: 2024
Size:  101.2 KB

The K1 mineral crystal is domed. The crown is small (in balance with the case imo) and is easy to pull and turn.

So how does it feel on the wrist? Well, pretty comfortable if you ask me. The strap is slightly stiff, but nothing to worry about. I'm sure it will get soft very soon on the wrist.

Name:  ragazzo5.JPG
Views: 1964
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  ragazzo3.JPG
Views: 1985
Size:  104.9 KB

The price if this watch is USD 399.00. Not too cheap, but not too expensive either. The specs are good:

Movement Swiss Ronda 513 quartz with 2 to 3 years battery life
    Material all metal parts are surgical 316L stainless steel
    Finish all metal parts are brushed
    Coating all metal parts are 0.8µm PVD coated
    Case ∅43mm x 11mm high, 5 ATM (50m) water resistant
    Crystal double curved, K1 hardened mineral
    crystal with anti-reflective coating
    Bracelet Italian vintage calf leather with nubuk lining
    Buckle push-button release butterfly clasp
    Warranty 2 years limited warranty
    Shipping $18 worldwide shipping, all taxes and import duties included

Name:  ragazzo2.JPG
Views: 2002
Size:  123.0 KB

Andrea Ragazzo offers one other model. It's this one in red gold and black:

This one retails for the same price: USD 399.00

So if you are on the look-out for something stylish, yet different, and don't want to spend too much money, then Regazzao is worth it to consider: Ragazzo

And when I asked Andrea about adding more models, he said:
    Concerning your questions, yes I will have more watches later. At the moment I have a three hands quartz, which will be followed by a three hands with date, a GMT and a chronograph. All models will be in quartz. But I am planning to launch one mechanical watch this year with a Miyota movement. So basically by the end of the year I should have a collection of around three to four models, each with two to four SKU's
    About Ragazzo
    The idea of Ragazzo the brand emerged in the mid-nineties from a desire to create lifestyle products and a company that would reflect our values. It took the next fifteen years, but the idea has matured into a Italian lifestyle accessories brand bringing our versatile and unique products to customers who can be confident that they are wearing a true original. Passion for details — This is what Ragazzo represents.

Each product is built to express personality in a subtle but elegant way. Utilising fine materials, finishes and colours to emphasise the character of the design, while delivering real quality to the customer.

Our heritage and engineering background drive most of our design decisions, making sure a product not only looks unique but delivers on its promise of being a simple yet emotional lifestyle accessory.

Andrea Ragazzo

Andrea was born and raised in Switzerland, where at the age of seventeen he attended the Art Institute of Bern to follow his passion for design. Two years later, the commercial side of his career began with an apprenticeship as a draftsman. Since then, the pursuit of creating unique consumer products has been his focus.

While developing products in a Swiss engineering firm, Andrea studied mechanical engineering at the University of Applied Science in Bern. During this time, he began working with Chinese factories, establishing a deep understanding of design for manufacturing.

After graduating, Andrea took an opportunity to work in Hong Kong. Three years later, he followed his passion again creating a successful design and product development company — Ansema.

Having not only the desire to create unique products, but also the theoretical understanding and practical experience, he took the final step and Ragazzo was launched.

Considering Andrea's Italian origins, Swiss upbringing and passion for details, the choice to start with watches just felt right.

More information at www.ragazzo.com
    Last edited by Ernie Romers; April 29th, 2014 at 15:28.
    Karsten likes this.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

Re: Andrea Ragazzo hits our forum with his first collection

Nice review Ernie. It looks fun. I'm not a fan of Arabic numbers so the fact that they are blacked out is a plus for me. Good looking watch with jeans.
    Ernie Romers likes this.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

In addition to my "unpacking report": Andrea called me and told me the strap can be changed by opening the case back. An instruction video will be posted on his website and here soon. He also commented on my remark about the non-branded buckle. Andrea decided not to have the logo on the buckle because he didn't want to have it all over the place. Makes sense to me, although I personally would have liked the great R logo on it.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

Nice review. It looks very nice on that strap.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Great Review. Loved the wrist/pocket downshot the best. Colorway is versatile too.
    This seems to be the sweet spot pricepoint for this caliber of watch > USD 399.00
    My only changes would be > 40mm case option or 38-39mm for re-strapping into a Bund strap
    The sewn-in strap is not a deal killer but it hurts when you consider that the fastest growing accessories sector is bespoke straps.
    Check your PM for a review request please. Thnx

Not bad...not bad at all. Simple, elegant, very nice strap, and a step up buckle-wise. I kind of like the wire lug treatment.
    Y'know what would have been kind of kicky and cool? Rotate the "9" 180º to match the 4 through 8 numerals. It'd give it sort of a California dial vibe.
    Nice review. Thanks.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Yeah. I like that. A good look. Subtle and sophisticated, but original too. Those kinds of designs are tough to create. Price is right, as well.
    Daily Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Fenix 3; Tissot PRS200

Nice review, Ernie. Thank you.
    That is a great weekender. I liked the black, then you had to pop in that rose gold photo.
    I'm a sucker for rose gold. That would be a tough choice.
    I had some of my watches listed, but then I just got embarrassed.
    You know, like showing up at the party dressed as a male stripper and realizing you're the only person who didn't get the message that it was no longer a costume party.

Nice Review. Well coordinated and designed watch. Color and ruggedness are in harmony!
    "Work joyfully and peacefully, knowing that right thoughts and right efforts will inevitably bring about right results." - James Lane Allen

Orient Ray
    Citizen Dress Watch
    Swatch Black Suit
    Converse VR007
    Nike CR1G20
    Timex CR2016

If the upcoming automatic version looks as good, one may be mine.
    Caveat lector

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information