WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Anniversary gift for husband - $1000budget

2K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  MediumRB 
#1 ·
I would like to purchase a watch for my husband for our 10th anniversary but since he isn't a watch collector it's a little difficult to find the right one. He appreciates classic, vintage design and I would like something that he could wear daily but dress up if needed. He travels a lot. Nothing oversized - he's about 5'7" and preferably sapphire crystal, automatic, 40mm or so, automatic movements.

Budget is up to $1,000 U.S. or so, but the ones I've been looking at are lower for some reason. Thoughts on the below and have I overlooked any better buys in that range?

Seiko cocktail time
Tissot visodate milanais
Seiko sarb0017

I've also seen good things about Baum and Mercier and Longines but that might be out of my budget. I liked the autodromo and Hamilton pan-Europ but I think they might be too large. I was also thinking about buying some extra straps to make it more versatile.

Thank you!

#3 ·
All the watches you listed are incredible watches!
Also add the Jazzmaster and SARB033/SARB035.
The Jazzmaster is 40mm and the SARB lineup is 38mm, but they are all incredible watches.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#6 ·
He's a lucky guy. I would advise you to think staying under 40mm if he has a smaller wrist. This isn't always the case, but, for example, I have a 7.5" wrist that is more rounded. Therefore, although my wrist size isn't smaller compared to some, I prefer watches under 40mm because they fit my wrist better. The options you listed, and suggestions made so far, are good. Up to $1,000 though, and you could be looking at an Oris Classic (37mm) or something from Certina or Mido with cash left over (mid-tier lines from Swatch Group like Hamilton). Good luck in the hunt!

#8 ·
Look at the Baume & Mercier Capeland Chronograph, classy and vintage chronograph for $1100-1200 at several retailers like Jomashop and The Watchery. That's a super buy for the money. Also the Classima is classy.

The Pan Europ is beautiful, I just bought one.

For fun look over the Longines selections in the Master series, some nice stuff there.

For Seiko the step up from the cocktail time is the Seiko SDGM001 for 500-600 range. That's a super watch.

Good luck and congrats on the anniversary!

#10 ·
Watches are very personal and hard to pinpoint tastes. Do you really want him putting this on only on occasions he knows you'll have an eye out for it? You want this to be special not $1k sitting in a drawer.

Do both of yourselves a favor and go out to a nice dinner followed by some watch shopping for him and jewelry shopping for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Watches are very personal and hard to pinpoint tastes. Do you really want him putting this on only on occasions he knows you'll have an eye out for it? You want this to be special not $1k sitting in a drawer.

Do both of yourselves a favor and go out to a nice dinner followed by some watch shopping for him and jewelry shopping for you.
I tend to agree with this, there are many many options in this pricerange, and a lot of them excellent at a lower price, so it all goes down to personal taste and preference. While I do trust you to know his taste after 10 years of marriage, it seems easier to just have him pick it.

Of course, maybe, knowing him, you know he'd rather be surprised or maybe you think it's more romantic to bring the gift instead of just paying for it after he choses it.
My SO took me several time to buy my own present and I cannot thank her enough as my taste are very specific and the chances of getting it wrong were too high, to me it's much worse having to exchange something she had picked or letting it rot in a drawer than chosing myself, even if it's less of a surprise.
But to each his own I suppose!

At this Pricepoint Hamilton Intra-Matic (in black or white)

Stowa Antea KS

Epos Ultra thin (in white or blue)

Are all pretty solid options.
The one you have listed are pretty excellent and cheaper too.

#11 ·
From the sounds of your list your on a good path already - your suggested options are all appealing in my opinion. What no one can tell you better than you already know is what he might like.
The watches you've mentioned are all decent, I'd go with what you think he might like best style wise - especially if he's not an avid collector.
My partner prefers her citizen watch to the certina I bought her, she doesn't really mind about the quality - she prefers the style of the fashion watch over the certina....Happy shopping :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Ophion 960. Beautiful, dressy watch, German Made quality.

Reactions: sea0bass
#13 ·
Hamilton Jazzmaster: Viewmatic, Slim or Day Date
Mido: Baroncelli II/III or Commander II
Boschett Legacy
Citizen Grand Classic

Happy Anniversary! Can I gve you my wife's email? You'd be agood influence on her gift giving. Just kidding...

#14 ·
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions! I'm looking further at the seiko sdgm001, the mido baroncelli II and the certina day date. And I'm also including my husband more in the discussion. I definitely don't want it to sit in a drawer. Also the size feedback is very helpful - he really doesn't want a large watch because of his small wrists. What a lovely group you are!

#16 ·
That Ophion suggested earlier is damn nice. As is the Seiko urushi dial - that is all kinds of awesome and wouldnt be out of place in a collection involving a lot more expensive watches.

Check out Jomashop for more options in your price range (if you decide to go a little over budget and try a more sporty watch, the Oris 65 sells for $1100. Fresh on my mind b/c I just bought if a few days ago). Longines would be a good option if you can get it in your price range - that, along with Baume & Mercier may be worth spending a little more if you can swing it, as you'll get more watch for your money.

I have to admit - I am not a fan of the Tissot Visiodate (would rather have a$130 Orient instead) or the Hamiltons (with the exception of the Pan Europ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.