Any Royal Love for the King Seiko
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Any Royal Love for the King Seiko

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any Royal Love for the King Seiko

It seems like a great many threads here speak of the Grand Seiko's, SARB's, SARG's, etc., but I never seem to hear the King Seiko mentioned much.

It is my understanding that the King Seiko was only produced in the Daini Seikosha plant and not at Suwa. And I believe the original King Seiko
    essentially had a tweaked Grand Seiko movement but most were not labeled as a Chronometer. In addition, the King Seiko was considered to have a very
    clean, uncluttered design theme, which to me helps it stand the test of time.

A number of links online suggest that the King Seiko was a Grand Seiko wannabe or a Grand Seiko, Jr.

What are your overall thoughts on the King Seiko vs. the Grand Seiko and I'd love to see some pics.

Re: Any Royal Love for the King Seiko

Most King Seikos are the 56xx models, produced towards Seikos retreat from automatic watches in the 70s, which are in fact Suwa products. Only the manual winding 44xx and (lovely) 45xx were exclusively produced by Daini, and then the later (awesomesauce) 52xx automatics (the forerunner of the now defunct 4S15).

There is no universal rule regarding whether Kings or Grands were Chronometer labelled or not, and has less to do with the production plant. They're really just lineups, and as a generalisation the GS was priced higher than the respective KS, although there are a few examples where certain KS models (they made monocoque cases and Rado-like tungsten alloy cases for example) were more expensive.

Me personally I don't care whether it says KS or GS on the dial, I look at a combination of the calibre, regulation standard, certification, case shape and dial texture to pick the nicest vintage Seiko.

There's definitely a very interesting history of the King Seiko and Grand Seiko subsidiaries, as well as how they made some of the movements that got Seiko banned from time-keeping competitions in Switzerland for beating the Swiss at their own game.

I'm not sure it's fair to characterize King Seiko as Grand Seiko Jr or a wannabe Grand Seiko, although it seems like that may have been the perception at the time because Grand Seiko came first. From what I've read (and remember), it seems like the KS line was set up to create internal competition for Grand Seiko, and I'm not sure if the two subsidiaries even shared any information about what they were doing with each other.

Definitely agree with you on the timeless design! In addition to the advanced movement (for the time), I also think they have some of the most beautiful watch cases around, thanks to Taro Tanaka's "Grammar of Design" design principles, which emphasized flat continuous planes and sharp lines.

I happen to be wearing mine today, so here's a pic (it really doesn't do the watch justice, though).

Last edited by sheepfishdog; February 23rd, 2016 at 00:19.

I will tell you shortly. I have one coming in the mail. I saw one on the sales forum and they look great and are pretty affordable. Anxious the see how it looks in person. I have also never seen a GS and am really curious if the quality of case construction lives up to the hype. It was way easier to purchase a KS without seeing it then the $$$ of the GS.

Attachment 7170674

I just picked this up about a month ago. Obviously a more busy design, but I quite like it. It doesn't really stand up against the quality of my modern GS. I would happily purchase another one if I come across the right model. The price-to-performance is a great deal.

Name:  011616_8.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  212.0 KB

When I read the title I thought it was a joke, apparently King Seiko is real, guess I learn something new today. Love that chronometer officially certified on the dial
    Domo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dr3ws View Post
    Love that chronometer officially certified on the dial
    Yeah, I know I've seen those words somewhere else before, I just forget where.

If I ever happen to bump into someone wearing one of those other officially certified chronometers, I can always say, "Gee, just like my Seiko." I'm sure they'll enjoy that.
    Ahriman4891 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by no name no slogan View Post
    Yeah, I know I've seen those words somewhere else before, I just forget where.

If I ever happen to bump into someone wearing one of those other officially certified chronometers, I can always say, "Gee, just like my Seiko." I'm sure they'll enjoy that.
    Looking forward to meet you then :)

Quote Originally Posted by dr3ws View Post
    When I read the title I thought it was a joke, apparently King Seiko is real, guess I learn something new today. Love that chronometer officially certified on the dial
    So I guess you haven't heard of Queen Seiko either then LOL?

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    So I guess you haven't heard of Queen Seiko either then LOL?
    I was going to make a joke about that actually, and yes I've never heard of Queen Seiko before. So what next? Prince Seiko? Princess Seiko?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information