Anyone dealt with USPS for lost package?

Thread: Anyone dealt with USPS for lost package?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Anyone dealt with USPS for lost package?

I sent a package to Georgia from PA via registered priority.

After noticing that online package tracking did not update for about 5 days, I called the post office and they told me that there is no record of scan when it went to the depot.

The lady will get back to me in few hours (I am VERY Anxious)

I got insurance on it so it is no issue (I will still be VERY unhappy though-Not as much as the buyer I suppose).

BUT, does anyone know how smooth the insurance process is?
    What document do I have to produce? I mean, all the papers to prove the value of the product is inside the box.

How long do I have to wait until I file the claim?

Just curious.

Thanks.
    Chronic flipper...

Re: Anyone dealt with USPS for lost package?

Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    I sent a package to Georgia from PA via registered priority.

After noticing that online package tracking did not update for about 5 days, I called the post office and they told me that there is no record of scan when it went to the depot.

The lady will get back to me in few hours (I am VERY Anxious)

I got insurance on it so it is no issue (I will still be VERY unhappy though-Not as much as the buyer I suppose).

BUT, does anyone know how smooth the insurance process is?
    What document do I have to produce? I mean, all the papers to prove the value of the product is inside the box.

How long do I have to wait until I file the claim?

Just curious.

Thanks.
    I haven't had to deal with the USPS but from what I've read they're a lot more responsive than UPS or FedEx. In fact, once the investigation is finished they'll pay up, unlike UPS and FedEx who will give you the runaround.

In fact, with FedEx, they literally trashed a box that had a server in it. Needless to say the server was trashed too. It took 8 months to a year and a few months of trying to convince FedEx that they're responsible before they finally paid for it. They're also known to lose packages pretty regularly.

I've had to deal with USPS insurance a few times, and there really wasn't much of a hassle with it. I filled out the claim form, printed out my ads and a copy of the payment I received and in about a month I received a postal money order. Granted, I would have been happier had the items been delivered, but the insurance claim went about as well as I could have expected.

The one bit of advice I would give is to submit the claim form as soon as you can. Depending on how it was mailed, you need to wait some time before you can submit the forms (21 days for priority mail I believe). A couple of times the clerks at the post office told me to just wait a little while longer as perhaps it'll show up. That only delayed getting the refund back to the buyer. I would now submit the paperwork as soon as I can.

Same thing is happening on me. Acorrding to my tracking the package is just 10 miles away from my place and it was supposed to be delivered 4 days ago. I am still waiting......

Quote Originally Posted by HilltopMichael View Post
    I've had to deal with USPS insurance a few times, and there really wasn't much of a hassle with it. I filled out the claim form, printed out my ads and a copy of the payment I received and in
    This is also an issue.

It was a partial trade. So, value of the watch is the buyer's watch + cash.

I suppose I can bring a copy of my ad and the buyer's offer.

But I suppose USPS must pay up whatever I insure it for no matter what the actual value of the goods that was actually sent, no?

They are the ones who lost it. (I had nothing to do with the loss)
    Chronic flipper...

Give it enough time to be sure it IS lost. I sent a knife through USPS that showed delivered after 3 days, but the recipient swore he never got it. After about a week I called the PO and was going to start the process of filing a claim. It finally showed up in his mailbox after 2 weeks. Seems it was delivered to his neighbor, but they were on vacation, so it didn't get found until the neighbor returned and got his mail. I've sent many knives through the mail and always use USPS, and never had one lost, even though I put the wrong zip on a package. It showed up after a of couple weeks too.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

Quote Originally Posted by nathantw666 View Post
    I haven't had to deal with the USPS but from what I've read they're a lot more responsive than UPS or FedEx. In fact, once the investigation is finished they'll pay up, unlike UPS and FedEx who will give you the runaround.

In fact, with FedEx, they literally trashed a box that had a server in it. Needless to say the server was trashed too. It took 8 months to a year and a few months of trying to convince FedEx that they're responsible before they finally paid for it. They're also known to lose packages pretty regularly.
    Not necessarily the case. I shipped a watch to Canada insured through USPS. The package was lost. When it came time to claim they denied it saying I sent a prohibited item to Canada. Long story short. Out an OMEGA SMP and $750.
    BROKER
    Sales Corner & Breitling Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TxKarateDude View Post
    Give it enough time to be sure it IS lost. I sent a knife through USPS that showed delivered after 3 days
    That is the problem, USPS does not know where the watch is, after whole week. (Status is still "Acceptance" status on their website. They have record of it leaving the post office, but nothing afterwards.)

It is sent "Registered" so it is suppose to be scanned whenever it changes hand right until the delivery time and it is suppose to be signed by someone upon delivery.

We will see. I did ask the buyer to wait for 1 more week before I refund his money and send back his watch. (I won't wear it from today until it is settled).
    Chronic flipper...

I shipped something by Priority Mail and after 3 weeks it was not delivered, so I went to file a claim but they told me that priority mail is not guaranteed delivery within 2-3 days so I have to wait for 30 days past before they started a trace. It can take up to 60 days to get your money back from the insurance claim.

With international express mail, it gets worse because they have to put a trace out only after 60 days of non-delivery and it is harder for them to track it because not all countries have the same tracking system.

As for FedEx, they have an online tracking system so it they can't find it in their system, it is pretty much lost and I filed claimed with them and it was hassle free.
    neogeek
    (amateur watchmaker)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by neogeek View Post
    I shipped something by Priority Mail and after 3 weeks it was not delivered, so I went to file a claim but they told me that priority mail is not guaranteed delivery within 2-3 days so I have to wait for 30 days past before they started a trace.
    That is what they pretty much told me - must wait 30 days.

But since this is a "Registered" packet (Supposedly MOST secure way of sending valuable goods), if it does not turn up in their system in another week, there is VERY good chance that it is totally lost.

I REALLY hope it would turn up.
    Chronic flipper...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information