Anyone Else Done With Homages? - Page 17
Like Tree587Likes

Thread: Anyone Else Done With Homages?

Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Anyone Else Done With Homages?

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    In a nutshell, they were built to satisfy a request for a set of features. But, unlike the fliegers, the dial markings and number font weren't specifically prescribed, so the Sub and FF still looked unique.

Your Google Fu will get you the additional details. ;)
    Thanks! And also thanks to a blog to watch for this:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/brief-hi...proof-watches/

It seems to me that due to the hugely diverse development of dive watches in general, it sort of backs up my theory(replicas excluded) that every dive watch sold today is a homage.

So, no, I'm apparently not done with homage watches.

Edit: replicas are also homage watches, though they are replicas... Uhng...

Sent from my iPhone accidentally, due to the gate being left ajar
    Last edited by captainmorbid; August 26th, 2016 at 01:58.

Re: Anyone Else Done With Homages?

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorbid View Post

The History Of Dive Watches | aBlogtoWatch

It seems to me that due to the hugely diverse development of dive watches in general, it sort of backs up my theory(replicas excluded) that every dive watch sold today is a homage.

Rolex Sub is Eve, from whom dive watches descended. I remember as a kid in the 60s looking at dive watches and they resembled the Rolex Sub. There are many dive watches out there offer something new, design-wise, nonetheless don't get to the meat of the market, which is Rolex Sub homages. People go with what is a safe prestigious design.
    "Can we bless or at least not curse whatever struggles to stay alive on this planet of struggles?"

"To live and to die in gratefulness if in no other virtue."

-Galway Kinnell

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post
    Rolex Sub is Eve, from whom dive watches descended. I remember as a kid in the 60s looking at dive watches and they resembled the Rolex Sub. There are many dive watches out there offer something new, design-wise, nonetheless don't get to the meat of the market, which is Rolex Sub homages. People go with what is a safe prestigious design.
    I'm not convinced about the Sub being made of Adam's skeleton quite yet, but it certainly is an icon.

vkalia likes this.

My SKX is a dive watch, but nobody thinks it's a Sub.
    Badbebe and Ard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedOne View Post
    I kind of wish there was a thread that acknowledged all the notable affordable non-homage watches.
    It would make the search for an affordable watch easier to beginners of the hobby without accidentally buying the wrong watch.
    Indeed. Though with 2 sides to this coin and the ? of whether/how this word applies, you might not be able to buy anything and have to make do with your cell (till we get to that lil' luxury item).
    A.Lange & Sohne * Blancpain * Cartier * International Watch Company * Invicta * Jaeger LeCoultre * ochs und junior * Rolex * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach", author unknown

?Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.?, Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    My SKX is a dive watch, but nobody thinks it's a Sub.
    You are absolutely right, but all those sub elements are there. It's just arranged differently, in a unique and iconic fashion...

In a nutshell, if you go back far enough, everything is an homage in some way or another. This is a very vague subject that can be nit picked to death. I say buy and wear what you like and can comfortably afford. If someone likes the look of a certain luxury watch but cannot afford that watch but someone offers a similar look at an affordable price then get it and wear it like you stole it. People will always find a way to turn something negative no matter what we are talking about. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that someone who shells out $8k for a Rolex Sub doesn't want someone wearing a similar design for less so they find a way to try to guilt those people into thinking they are some kind of poser for wearing said watch. Fake copies are one thing and are awful, but inspiration from an iconic design and marketing that as their own is just fine in my book. I will proudly wear anything that I like as long as it's not a knock off claiming to be something that it's not.
    jmanlay and Ard like this.

Would that include liquid-filled dive watches?
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorbid View Post

The History Of Dive Watches | aBlogtoWatch

Paulo 8135 likes this.

The argument "all dive homages are fine because all dive watches are homages to the Fifty fathoms or submariner " is flawed as it assumes all watches are equally derivative. Outside of WUS, using the real definition of homage, that argument is literally completely false. This topic is entirely subjective and boils down to an individual's morals.
    vkalia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Would that include liquid-filled dive watches?
    I'm betting the early attempts at waterproofing likely ended up with plenty of liquid filled watches...

If it has a unidirectional bezel with marked intervals, sapphire domed crystal, crown with o rings, high legible face and hands, screw down caseback, then by my loose definition, it sure is.

It might even be a replica/design copy, though I don't have any idea which specific watches are liquid filled divers.

I'm feeling like I'm starting to differentiate between replicas and homage. Though I personally think a replica can also be homage. There are a metric tonne of Sub replicas, Marina Militare replicas, Etc, the ones that are crap are lazy money grabs, and the ones that may even exceed the originals in quality and specs have an homage element.

The op's question might be better stated as "finished with replicas", which I'd have to answer with: I really don't know, maybe?

Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread Information