WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Automotive / Carnauba wax on a watch?

12K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Twowheelsandwatches 
#1 ·
Ok, so I was talking to a friend the other day and noticed his watch was extra shiny so I asked him if he did anything special and he said he applied some McGuires (sp?) Carnauba wax to it ... using the same technique as if he were waxing his car.... apply, wait 15 min and wipe off! I am tempted to try it on my watches but before I do, I wanted to ask the collective wisdom of the forums incase there is some overwhelming reason not to!

Thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
Ok, so I was talking to a friend the other day and noticed his watch was extra shiny so I asked him if he did anything special and he said he applied some McGuires (sp?) Carnauba wax to it ... using the same technique as if he were waxing his car.... apply, wait 15 min and wipe off! I am tempted to try it on my watches but before I do, I wanted to ask the collective wisdom of the forums incase there is some overwhelming reason not to!

Thoughts?
I think he was pulling your leg....If it was that shinny he must have been using ADAMS... ;)

but seriously Id never heard of that, I got some wax on my G the other day, it just left some white residue on the bracelet that I had to clean with warm water and a brush, On leather I wouldn't try it, and on a metal bracelet Id be very careful, It could stain at worst, and then It would just leave a gummy residue in all the nooks and crannies. Plus it probably would not be very durable either.

Try future floor polish and a wool wheel on a dremel on low speed...

#3 ·
no trust me, this was a serious conversation and he's a good friend who I know well, he doesn't really lie/prank very much... He said he puts it on his watches mainly because he gets sweaty and doesn't want the salts in his sweat to attack the finish... anyway, I wonder if it's innocent to try on the crystal?

#4 ·
why would you want wax on your crystal? Thats like wax polish on the windshield.

While in theory a high quality wax polish does sound like a good idea on a bracelet or polished case, I'd be very concerned about getting excess into gaps and crevices and not being able to get them out. As it is it would only work on polished surfaces. I'd go with a Cape Cod cloth instead for polished surfaces instead of trying wax. Regarding protection, I hardly think a thin layer of wax is going to keep sweat from doing its thing. Wash your bracelets in mild soap in warm water, thats the best thing to do.

I am not sure I would try it, but if you have an SS bracelet or watch that you think is worth experimenting on, then I guess you can try it.

#6 ·
why would you want wax on your crystal? Thats like wax polish on the windshield.

While in theory a high quality wax polish does sound like a good idea on a bracelet or polished case, I'd be very concerned about getting excess into gaps and crevices and not being able to get them out. As it is it would only work on polished surfaces. I'd go with a Cape Cod cloth instead for polished surfaces instead of trying wax. Regarding protection, I hardly think a thin layer of wax is going to keep sweat from doing its thing. Wash your bracelets in mild soap in warm water, thats the best thing to do.

I am not sure I would try it, but if you have an SS bracelet or watch that you think is worth experimenting on, then I guess you can try it.
I just tried it on my Citizen and it seems to look fine... frankly, I can't tell any difference, but I do know there is a tin layer of wax over it now which has "some" level of protection, as it would on a car's paint... and yes, to the above poster, this is a non-abrasive wax.. it's pure Carnauba..

#7 · (Edited)
I use it always. Nothing goes into service before it has at least three coats of Maguire's with Carnuba liquid (purple bottle). Nooks and crannies are cleared with toothpicks. The nice things are that it makes the watch and bracelet very easy to keep clean, and, it keeps the light scratches down to a minimum, especially on the crystals, glass or acrylic. It's also good for preserving the painted marks and words such as on my G's, and Vostoks. Chrome simply doesn't oxidize from my wearing them as my body oils/sweat, etc. doesn't reach the surface. I've posted about this before. Great stuff on all my metal and resin. I don't use it on leather, however.

Josh

Reactions: stevenkelby
#8 ·
I knew I wasn't insane! Ok, I'm gonna apply it to my Citizen Signature watch... it's still brand new, so why not?

Reactions: Fsatsil
#10 ·
Many forumers worry about the possible effect of soap on the seals. To apply a wax meand you wil get the wax on the seals.
Not sure if it is a good idea to apply fatty esthers with a solvent on a watch.....

Reactions: Tickclic
#11 ·
I have no idea about this, but I would be a little concerned about putting it on an anti-reflective coating too. At least, I'm not going to be the first one to try it lol.

It seems like rain-x type waxes would be the more obvious choice for crystals but again, I'm not trying it first.

#13 · (Edited)
The Polish will remove the outer metal layer, and remove scratches.
The wax will not remove anything, but sit as a layer on the surface. Plus clog up the tube for the crown, pushers, get to the seals

I use Neutral shoe polish ( Kiwi Brand) for my leather and exotic straps. If very dry, a little bit of Mink Oil first.
N.B. Strap only!

I take off the straps, wash them gently with soap and water, dry indoors for a few days. Then place the shoe polish and strap in the sun, so they get warm. Brush on the polish, and let it soakin.
A few layers. Then I wipe off the excess, let them sit in the sun for a couple of hours. Then they go indoors, and next day I buff them up. Cloth for smooth leather, a soft brush for structured leathers and Exotics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.