average diameter in mm (w/o crown) of most watches?

Thread: average diameter in mm (w/o crown) of most watches?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

average diameter in mm (w/o crown) of most watches?

i just got really into watches and i was wondering if anyone could give me a general average of case diameter of most watches...

obviously watches come in all sizes but is a 40 or 42mm case diameter a good "general standard" size?

this may be a stupid question, sorry

Banned

Re: average diameter in mm (w/o crown) of most watches?

I have watches that range from 28 mm to 42 mm. The next guy who posts may not have anything under 44 mm. There's no such thing as 'standard' any more. Buy what fits you best.

Watch diameters have been increasing as oversized watches have become en vogue in years past. You'll notice if you look closely at a lot of popular manufacturer's websites they will mention that the 20xx model features an increased diameter over the outgoing model. That isn't to say that smaller faced watches aren't cool. With 7.75" wrists, though, I've found that a range of 40 - 45mm suits me best.
    Last edited by On The Run; January 27th, 2011 at 01:59.

I don't wear anything under 42mm myself.

I've seen general sizing like this:

34mm - 38mm: Midsize
    39mm - 42mm: Gents or "standard"
    43mm - 46mm: XL/Oversize
    47mm+: XXL

Others may differ.
    TAG Heuer Monaco Vintage LE|Omega Speedmaster Professional|Suunto X-Lander Mil|Hamilton Pan Europ|Flight Timer|Seiko SBDX001|Revue Thommen Chrono Diver

A man's watch is a very cherished thing. You steal that, you might as well be stealing his soul.

That sounds about right Raza, I would say most mens watches (outside of divers or watches featuring pocketwatch movements) are between 38mm-42mm.

By the way, I got my Hamilton bracelet yesterday and sized it approximately today. The watch should be here early next week.

The trouble with the upscaling of watch size is that the movements remain the same as they were before. All too often nowadays you see watches that are ostensibly too large for the movement.

Usually 38mm without crown for a Mens watch and 28mm to 35mm without cron for a womans watch.

Cheers
    Mark.

....used to be 38mm was a pretty common standard. I would say that it is more like 42mm today. Blame Panerai, who probably started the trend towards oversized watches. Even Rolex had to bend to upsizing their models. (Rolex rarely changes anything and putting or removing holes in the lugs is a major deal for them.) I do have to admit that when I wear a 30's or 40's vintage watch anymore, they do feel almost comically undersized.

-T
    Benzinger Custom Skeletonized Star movement.

So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

34-40mm is what I'd consider traditional gents size. They are also a more natural fit for the movements.

Quote Originally Posted by kaffakid View Post
    i just got really into watches and i was wondering if anyone could give me a general average of case diameter of most watches...

obviously watches come in all sizes but is a 40 or 42mm case diameter a good "general standard" size?

this may be a stupid question, sorry
    Are you really asking for the average diameter of most watches? If so which ones are you excluding??? Are you including womens watches?
    On the other hand if you are looking for the average diameter of all watches sold recently it is likely in the 36mm to 38mm range. Just remember that includes all watches sold, not just watch forum favorites.
    Finally, If you are looking for support to buy a large watch, like 42mm, then just say so directly. And just go for the watch that catches your eye!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information