Believe in America: Shinola
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Believe in America: Shinola

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Watchuseek Editor

Believe in America: Shinola

Remember when top quality goods were proudly made in the USA? Well, as far as Shinola are concerned, they still are. Shinola products are American built for the long haul. They firmly believe American manufacturing did not fail for being too good, but maybe because America failed to believe.

To begin the revival they started with the reinvigoration of a storied American brand, and a storied American city. Shinola believes there is not just history in Detroit, there is a future.

Shinola Bicycles

Name:  Shinola Runwell Bicycle.jpg
Views: 3637
Size:  48.3 KB

Shinola are on a mission to define American luxury through American quality. Take the Shinola Runwell Bicycle for example. It’s inspired by the enduring French style of Porteur bicycles, first used by newspaper couriers in Paris, The Runwell is meticulously designed and engineered to handle predictably and smoothly for city riding, commuting and errand running.

The Runwell will run and run virtually maintenance free, courtesy of the high-end Shimano Alfine 11-speed internal hub, daily riders will never need to worry about adjustment, maintenance or exposure to rain and snow. Stopping power, in any weather condition, is assured with the quiet and smooth disc brakes. Internal cable routing keeps the cables out of sight and out of the elements. Racks and fenders fit easily onto the frame. Responsive and predictable handing, classic and enduring style, low-to-no maintenance, and great stopping power in any weather, the The Runwell will run well for decades.

Shinola watches

In their commitment to making quality watches, Shinola transformed 30,000 square feet of raw space into a state-of-the-art watch factory inside the Argonaut building. Their production facilities combines meticulous hand-assembly with the most advanced technology available to ensure their watches are both beautiful and built to last. All their assembly line workers took extensive training from Ronda in Switzerland so as to know how to create quality Swiss style movements in the former automobile capital of America. From the assembly line so far are quality watches for both men and women.

The Runwell

Name:  Shinola The Runwell 47mm.jpg
Views: 3779
Size:  55.0 KB

In addition to a Runwell bicycle, there’s a Runwell watch which comes in many faces and sizes. The engine of a Shinola watch is the Argonite movement, a uniquely American-made movement that is produced in Shinola’s Detroit factory from nearly four-dozen Swiss-made parts. The complex assembly of each movement is a process that hasn’t been undertaken at this scale in the US in decades. The 47mm Runwell retails at $550.00.

The Brakeman

Name:  Shinola Brakeman 46mm.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  47.5 KB

Then there’s the Brakeman, a classic cushion case design. The Brakeman is named for the not particularly long-lived locomotive brakemen of the early 1900s and is inspired by watches of the same era. Built with all premium materials, in Detroit. The Brakeman retails for $675.00.

Watch the movie about making watches in Detroit.

Shinola leather goods

Name:  Shinola Rolltop Duffel Bag.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  19.6 KB

The same over engineered and obsessive quality applies to a range of leather goods made by Shinola, once again in Detroit. Amongst many bags and wallets, this is a roll top duffel backpack emphasizing classic style and American craftsmanship. Built with all premium materials, including solid brass zippers, durable natural canvas, and US-made leather produced by Horween, a family-owned tannery in operation since 1905. Functional design details include a side zip pocket for quick access to main pouch, solid brass zippers, and canvas padded backstraps with rivet reinforcement and adjustable roll buckle hardware.

Shinola All Black Collection

Name:  Birdy 34mm.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  Brakeman 46mm.jpg
Views: 3539
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  Mini backpack.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  20.1 KB

The All Black Collection is inspired by the only colour that's never needed to declare itself the new anything. The All Black Collection features The Birdy 34mm and The Brakeman 46mm, now sporting black dials, black PVD plated steel cases, and black Horween leather watch straps.

Visit the Shinola website
    Last edited by Michael Weare; October 11th, 2013 at 09:48.

Banned

Re: Believe in America: Shinola

WOW, we have never seen this before.
    MZhammer likes this.

I like the concept, but there is no chance they could have picked a worse name for the brand.

I think the biggest shame is this recent push/exposure for Shinola amidst this messy union-busting Bankruptcy. Are people really going to want a watch that says DETROIT on it? Change the model name to VERLANDER and it'll have a much more fighting chance.

Great duffel, by the way.
    Aleric and movet22 like this.
    Influence is like the wind...

Quote Originally Posted by CADstraps View Post
    I like the concept, but there is no chance they could have picked a worse name for the brand.

I think the biggest shame is this recent push/exposure for Shinola amidst this messy union-busting Bankruptcy. Are people really going to want a watch that says DETROIT on it? Change the model name to VERLANDER and it'll have a much more fighting chance.

Great duffel, by the way.
    Yeah, they certainly took a gamble by emphasizing the Detroit aspect of the brand. When was the last time anyone associated Detroit with terms like "precision," "high quality," or any of the concepts you would normally associate with watch manufacturing? Ummm, never?
    LH2, Genebe and jasonjs like this.

Many of these advertisement threads are really interesting, and others, seem to be oddly timed. Sometimes it is better to let things rest a bit...

I'm more interested in the bike.

Concept-wise, I like the idea of an American-based watch. But we've seen such attempted revivals before. And when I think of Detroit, I think of "urban decay."
    tfinnan likes this.
    Seiko/Casio/Tudor

View my feedback by clicking Hidden Content .

Hidden Content me if you want to talk watches.

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post

Concept-wise, I like the idea of an American-based watch. But we've seen such attempted revivals before. And when I think of Detroit, I think of "urban decay."
    Well you can be happy knowing that the bike is "made in Wisconsin" and only assembled in Detroit ;-0

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael West View Post

Shinola Bicycles

Name:  Shinola Runwell Bicycle.jpg
Views: 3637
Size:  48.3 KB

Shinola are on a mission to define American luxury through American quality. Take the Shinola Runwell Bicycle for example. It’s inspired by the enduring French style of Porteur bicycles, first used by newspaper couriers in Paris, The Runwell is meticulously designed and engineered to handle predictably and smoothly for city riding, commuting and errand running.

The Runwell will run and run virtually maintenance free, courtesy of the high-end Shimano Alfine 11-speed internal hub, daily riders will never need to worry about adjustment, maintenance or exposure to rain and snow. Stopping power, in any weather condition, is assured with the quiet and smooth disc brakes. Internal cable routing keeps the cables out of sight and out of the elements. Racks and fenders fit easily onto the frame. Responsive and predictable handing, classic and enduring style, low-to-no maintenance, and great stopping power in any weather, the The Runwell will run well for decades.
    If I was going to spend $3000 USD on a lugged steel frame bike, chances are I'd give my money to Rivendell. Depending on the model, some of their frames are made by Waterford too and through brands like Bridgestone and now Rivendell, Grant Peterson's been fighting this fight pretty much all by himself for years now - long before the guy from Fossil came along to accomplish whatever it is he's trying to accomplish. Shinola might mean some jobs for Americans so there's that and I'm sure Waterford appreciates the contract, but like Peterson, lots of smaller guys have been sourcing and making frames in the US for much, much longer...including Waterford. Just look at that picture: uncomfortably angled saddle (makes no practical sense), dropped bars and a raised seat post...there's no reason for most people to ride a setup like that on any bike - and there's especially no reason for a town bike to be depicted in such a way.

Like the rest of their products, Shinola bikes strike me as a high-end accessory for the DUMBO crowd. My guess is that whenever Shinola sells it's products to folks interested in US jobs and saving Detroit, they're taking sales away from other and genuine American small business who don't have Fossil's deep pockets and connections. Shinola's success could very well mean failure for other American craftsmen and entrepreneurs. That's the American way so I've got no issue with that, it's just that...take the the fancy and semi-fancy watch brands....at least they come straight at you with their pompous luxury lifestyle ads, Shinola's marketing just seems subversive.
    Last edited by ljb187; October 11th, 2013 at 19:05.
    liwang22 likes this.

^ Thanks for the informative post. I know almost nothing about bikes; I haven't ridden a bike in years, but I like the classic design and bright orange colors. I like the idea of a maintenance-free bike, though I suspect that there is no such thing. Things eventually break down.

I suppose I'll have to do more research in that regard.
    Seiko/Casio/Tudor

View my feedback by clicking Hidden Content .

Hidden Content me if you want to talk watches.

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto
    Hidden Content

Banned

WOW, so you would spend your money at another company that doesn't actually make their product (Rivendell) then at a custom frame builder? That makes no sense. Grant Peterson is a designer (a great one) not a bike builder. And there has been allot of bike builder's since the 90's in the US putting out great products. All I have to mention is one company, Fat Chance, who was ahead of their time and the people who worked for them have split up and created their own shops.

Also Shinola had said on record that Fossil has nothing to do with them at all. So that isn't a valid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    If I was going to spend $3000 USD on a lugged steel frame bike, chances are I'd give my money to Rivendell. Depending on the model, some of their frames are made by Waterford too and through brands like Bridgestone and now Rivendell, Grant Peterson's been fighting this fight pretty much all by himself for years now - long before the guy from Fossil came along to accomplish whatever it is he's trying to accomplish. Shinola might mean some jobs for Americans so there's that and I'm sure Waterford appreciates the contract, but like Peterson, lots of smaller guys have been sourcing and making frames in the US for much, much longer...including Waterford. Just look at that picture: uncomfortably angled saddle (makes no practical sense), dropped bars and a raised seat post...there's no reason for most people to ride a setup like that on any bike - and there's especially no reason for a town bike like that to be depicted in such a way.

Like the rest of their products, Shinola bikes strike me as a high-end accessory for the DUMBO crowd. My guess is that whenever Shinola it's products to folks interested in US jobs and saving Detroit, they're taking sales away from other and genuine American small business who don't have Fossil's deep pockets and connections. Shinola's success could very well mean failure for other American craftsmen and entrepreneurs. That's the American way so I've got no issue with that, it's just that...take the the fancy and semi-fancy watch brands....at least they come straight at you with their pompous luxury lifestyle ads, Shinola's marketing just seems subversive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information