The Bernhardt Watch Company and The Binnacle Anchor - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Bernhardt Watch Company and The Binnacle Anchor

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: The Bernhardt Watch Company and The Binnacle Anchor

Great photos. I have a white dial preordered and am getting more excited by the day. Fred is a lovely man to deal with and truly sets the gold standard for customer service.

I have the Binnacle GMT and also a Sea Shark from Bernhardt and absolutely love them both.

Cheers,
    ~Ross

Quote Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
    Still, there's a design and flush-look that makes proprietary straps a benefit. What Mr. Amos has done is built the curved end-link into the case. Upon removing the bracelet, which is his signature, signed, screwed-in steel links, you are presented with a flat-link, flush with the lugs. Any strap (20 mm) can then be attached, but because of the "link" built-into the case, it sits totally flush, no unsightly gap between the watch and the strap. It's little touches like that...
    I would need to see this before I considered buying. I am not sure I like the idea of having the built in links part of the case. It would depend on how they look, if they have the design of the bracelet integrated into it then, IMO, that would look really odd to have a strap attached with the bracelet accents built into the case. Just my thoughts though...

Quote Originally Posted by J_Hack View Post
    I would need to see this before I considered buying. I am not sure I like the idea of having the built in links part of the case. It would depend on how they look, if they have the design of the bracelet integrated into it then, IMO, that would look really odd to have a strap attached with the bracelet accents built into the case. Just my thoughts though...
    The built-in link isn't exactly a link - it's part of the case, just allowing a strap to sit flush into the lugs as opposed to against the curved part of the case.

Think about it like this; If you wear a square-cased watch and the lug-holes are close to the case, a strap would fit flush against the case. There would be no gap between the case and strap because there's no curve. That's sort of the principal with the Binnacle Anchor. It gives the illusion of a conventional case so the bracelet sits flush, but upon removing the bracelet, that last lug is "filled in", allowing for a straight connection to the strap.

It's actually quite understated in person, and I'd wonder if anyone outside of the wearer would truly notice. Like most horological advancements, it's all about subtly.

Banned

Fred has treated me good in the past and I would buy from him again any day! Thanks for the great write up about him and his beliefs.

For Kidblue: Hey just curious about the picture you posted:

The Bernhardt Watch Company and The Binnacle Anchor-1277579969718_1.jpg

You said in your thread starter that you got to see #1, is this a picture of the actual watch because the font on the 1 looks different than the order page.

thanks,
    Dan

Dan,

The Binnacle Anchor I posted was on Fred's wrist and numbered 001/200. I think it's the first of the production model. From what I know, the pre-order images were mockups and the only actual physical watches were the prototype (very different, all around) and this.

Quote Originally Posted by Artonthewrist View Post
    For Kidblue: Hey just curious about the picture you posted:
    You said in your thread starter that you got to see #1, is this a picture of the actual watch because the font on the 1 looks different than the order page.
    thanks,
    Dan
    Edit: I checked it and you're absolutely right, Dan, the number "1" on the "12" definitely changed. I imagine that has something to do with a desire for symmetry on Fred's part.
    Last edited by kidblue; June 30th, 2010 at 18:18. Reason: Checked it out.

Hello,

I am not sure I understand what you are saying:

imagine that has something to do with a desire for symmetry on Fred's part. [/QUOTE]

Do you think HE thought that there was to much symmetry which is why he opted for the 1 in the 12 to be like this for the production model:

as opposed to this:

Which is how the watch is advertised for sale.

In any event he did get back to me and said that the 1 with the
    tail on it is the style he will be using, not exactly what I
    was expecting but.... I still am looking forward to seeing this
    watch and trust he has his own reasons and this is what you
    get to do when you run your own ship, so come end of July we
    will see what she looks like on the wrist !!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeah.

Quote Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
    Dan,

The Binnacle Anchor I posted was on Fred's wrist and numbered 001/200. I think it's the first of the production model. From what I know, the pre-order images were mockups and the only actual physical watches were the prototype (very different, all around) and this.

Edit: I checked it and you're absolutely right, Dan, the number "1" on the "12" definitely changed. I imagine that has something to do with a desire for symmetry on Fred's part.

Funny enough, I feel as if the current, production-style is actually more symmetrical than the mockup. There's something about the numerals and proximity to the indices that fills in the gaps of that area of the dial, creating a sense of a full dial but not adding anything extra. Looking at the prototype, it's actually the exact same setup, so I think the mockup was simply that - An illustration for a small amount of an example.

The actual photo is the production model, so that's what we should be expecting - Obviously, it is different than the illustration, in a positive way (in my opinion), in terms of the incidences and even the color. That said, don't put all the stock in my mediocre camera-phone photography.

I would look at the orange model as photographed in this post and the black as photographed in the prototype images (with new hands and specs) as the guide for color and the indices.

Quote Originally Posted by Artonthewrist View Post
    Hello,

I am not sure I understand what you are saying:
    Do you think HE thought that there was to much symmetry which is why he opted for the 1 in the 12 to be like this for the production model:

Which is how the watch is advertised for sale.

In any event he did get back to me and said that the 1 with the
    tail on it is the style he will be using, not exactly what I
    was expecting but.... I still am looking forward to seeing this
    watch and trust he has his own reasons and this is what you
    get to do when you run your own ship, so come end of July we
    will see what she looks like on the wrist !!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeah.

I am curious are you getting one of these and if so are going to get the orange, since you have seen it first hand or the black? Ive got a black dial ordered but am wondering about the orange starting to grow on me.

thanks,
    Dan

I'm getting both in addition to the prototype I wrote up and photographed months ago. Link to that is above. As I wrote in the first post of this thread, above, I saw the orange version and photographed it in person.

I've been living with the black prototype for a long time and it's practically my daily go-to watch. The orange I posted in this thread was being worn by Fred. It's gorgeous in person, and all my initial thoughts at the beginning of this thread are based on my personal, first-hand account of it.
    Last edited by kidblue; July 1st, 2010 at 00:01.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information