Thread: Best watch for roughly $2,000? Your choices or suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best watch for roughly $2,000? Your choices or suggestions?

I am looking at my next watch purchase and have roughly $2,000 to spend. Might be able to stretch to 2300 or so tops, but probably in that $15-2200 range. I have a list of sorts which includes Tag, Montblanc, and Ball, but am completely open to any suggestions as I would gladly go outside of what I have found to this point.
    A few other things:
    1. Strongly prefer a case that is at least 40mm, but also would love something that may have the potential for increase in value/collectible (though at this price point, I understand that is largely a stretch where I am SOL), but thats cool.

2. I already have an Omega Seamaster Pro, so that would be out, not getting another.

3. I prefer a new watch but am not completely adverse to near mint used, but definitely don't want to go grey market. Let me know what you think might fit the bill.

I would really appreciate it. The more specific the model the better. Thanks in advance for your input!

Re: Best watch for roughly $2,000? Your choices or suggestions?

That leaves a ton of watches to consider. How important is all night visibility? The Ball's have tritium which is a very nice feature to have. I've never owned a super luminova watch that was very readable at all past two hours.

Without knowing specifics such as whether you want say a chronograph or day, date, automatic or quartz among just a few things, I can only give a very broad answer. I'd look at Ball, Oris, Longines, Raymond Weil, and Ebel to give you a start.

Today I'm leaning towards the Limes - Pharo DayDate, U6282C-LA2.1

Quote Originally Posted by iced_theater View Post
    Without knowing specifics such as whether you want say a chronograph or day, date, automatic or quartz among just a few things, I can only give a very broad answer. I'd look at Ball, Oris, Longines, Raymond Weil, and Ebel to give you a start.
    Yeah, I guess I figured I would leave it open to interpretation. Maybe a better way to pose the question would be, if you had $2000 to spend on one watch with the criteria I mentioned, and it wasn't going to be a Seamaster, what would it be? I know it's broad and this is all subjective, but figured it would be a way for people to say, "yeah, I would be seriously looking at such and such for that price." That sort of thing. If I give the list that I have narrowed down then I won't get the larger list of choices that I would so openly choose from. I would pretty much want an automatic, and would likely stay away from a leather strap and go SS or titanium or the like if I could.

To be more specific, some level of prestige would be cool. Day, Date would be nice, but not essential. Nothing is essential per se, other than setting the very broad limits I gave.

I have looked at tons of Oris' but I consider them to be a bit more entry level than this money might warrant. (Just my opinion.) RW and Ebel might be interesting choices. Thanks.
    Last edited by BreaknecK; December 2nd, 2008 at 06:32.

Id buy a lightly used Breitling Superocean Steelfish.
    -RJ

Breitling Superocean II
    Breitling Navitimer
    Breitling Avenger Skyland
    Breitling Colt II Auto
    Breitling Superocean Steelfish

Panerai 320
    Locman Tonneau
    G-Shock DW-5600WC-1ER

G-Shock DW-6900R-7

Well you have a good sporty watch, I'd probably get a dress watch. Deville Small Seconds? 39mm.

IMO if you don't know what to get yet, stick it in the bank and let it grow. You'll eventually find a piece that -really- grabs you and you'll probably have a bigger budget by then.

personally, i would go with a ball. freakin love those watches, my em2 is amazing.

really depends on what you're using it for tho. is this a daily wear, a dress watch, a sport watch?

Lightbulb Re: Best watch for roughly $2,000? Your choices or suggestions?

I know you already have a Speedy so this might be a bit too close, but...

Limited edition 50ex All Meca Smart Ocean

7750 inside... well, a very NICELY decorated 7750

1780€ on Atelier du Bracelet Parisien alligator + deploy clasp

or

1540€ on Hirsch Rivetta + buckle

(nice too hey ? Actually, I intend to order this strap for my Speedy )

More infos :
    ALL MECA Smartocean

Quote Originally Posted by BreaknecK View Post
    I am looking at my next watch purchase and have roughly $2,000 to spend. Might be able to stretch to 2300 or so tops, but probably in that $15-2200 range. I have a list of sorts which includes Tag, Montblanc, and Ball, but am completely open to any suggestions as I would gladly go outside of what I have found to this point.
    A few other things:
    1. Strongly prefer a case that is at least 40mm, but also would love something that may have the potential for increase in value/collectible (though at this price point, I understand that is largely a stretch where I am SOL), but thats cool.

2. I already have an Omega Seamaster Pro, so that would be out, not getting another.

3. I prefer a new watch but am not completely adverse to near mint used, but definitely don't want to go grey market. Let me know what you think might fit the bill.

I would really appreciate it. The more specific the model the better. Thanks in advance for your input!

Swiss : FAVRE LEUBA | FORTIS | GIRARD PERREGAUX | JAQUET-GIRARD | OMEGA | TISSOT | TITUS | ZENITH
    Japanese : CASIO | CITIZEN | ORIENT | SEIKO
    Russian : POLJOT | SLAVA | STURMANSKIE | VOSTOK | VOSTOK EUROPE | ZVEZDA
    French : AVYSTYLE | HERMA | LIP | YEMA | YONGER & BRESSON
    German : GLASHÜTTE |
    Chinese : ALPHA | BEIJING | FINËAT | JARAGAR | OHSEN | STEWAL | WINNER

Montreal, Canada. Land of Captain Canuck!

For $2,000 you are in the sweet spot for many Omega (give or take a few dozen dollars).

Now is the time to grab an Omega if you ever wanted one; with their strategy consisting of trying to equal and surpass Rolex, pretty soon a $2,000 Omega will (unfortunate) be a thing of the past.

Avant l’heure ce n’est pas l’heure; après l’heure ce n’est plus l’heure

Quote Originally Posted by Xaltotun View Post
    For $2,000 you are in the sweet spot for many Omega (give or take a few dozen dollars).

Now is the time to grab an Omega if you ever wanted one; with their strategy consisting of trying to equal and surpass Rolex, pretty soon a $2,000 Omega will (unfortunate) be a thing of the past.
    Yeah, other than the fact that I own an Omega, I am still -kind of- considering a PO. I know they plan to boost prices at some point but at the same time, kind of fear their quality control suffering as a result. They are the 5th best selling brand here in the US behind Rolex, Tag, Breitling, and Cartier!

So far, some great suggestions here, I actually had 3 of these on my list...the Ball EM2Diver, the Breitling and an Omega, but still appreciate some of these other choices too. That Meca is pretty impressive looking, I might have to look up that brand. I will probably go sportier overall, but ya never know. Also, it would be a gift, so technically, it wouldn't be my money I am spending, hence not putting it into savings!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information