Botta Uno 24 - Thoughts & Pics!
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Botta Uno 24 - Thoughts & Pics!

-->
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Botta Uno 24 - Thoughts & Pics!

This watch is not for everyone. But I think it speaks to many people here, as it has been posted about many times in these forums.

This post is not so much about a watch as it is my musing about the representation of a watch.

But no worries, though -- I will still write about the Botta Uno 24, which, like all things stripped down to their bare essentials, represents a clarity that makes life more rich.

I'm enjoying this single-hand watch, for it reinforces my attitude for the way in which life should ultimately be lived: unhurried, unrestricted by time, and simplified.

The casual approach with which I treat my schedule reminds me that I'm in control of my time. It's liberating.

Still, the watch is not for everyone -- especially health-care workers who must count pulses in patients whose blood pressure was raised by a life of rushing to be on time for a million insignificant things.

So, it's not about the watch. It's about what the watch represents.

------------------------

The Botta Uno 24 has a single hand, and 24 hourly marks, with 10-minute marks between. A date. That's it. You estimate the time by the position of the hand.

This is ~ 6:20PM.

It seems a guess work, but you get good at estimating. So the 10-minute intervals don't mean you're ten minutes off in estimation, but with practice you're down to a 1-minute estimation, often down to the seconds. It's weird, but your time-estimation skill sharpens rapidly. (I compare my estimation with an atomic-referenced Casio, and my estimation is often about 30 seconds off actual time.)

But that's not the point. This watch offers the "concept of time," rather than bog you down with the obsession of time... like mechanical precision, COSC, fast or slow the automatic movement, and mindless time reading, etc. You look at this watch for purposes in addition to just telling time.

(To me, being constantly obsessed with the accuracy of time-telling is like a bodybuilder being obsessed with constantly eating precisely the right food. One misses out on life.)

Purchase

I ordered the Botta Uno 24 from Rufus Lin Designs, located in British Columbia, Canada.

http://www.rufuslin.com/

In today's world, service is a lost art, especially in internet commerce. But Yasuhiro Matsumoto (and Emma Stone) at Rufus Lin Designs has the art of service mastered, even on the internet. Excellence, from my first email inquiry to my telephone call, and all the communications until the final product was delivered at the door by the FedEx driver. Clear, concise, and friendly communication.

Delivery was free, and shipped overnight. Ordered Monday, watch on wrist Tuesday. Literally.

The Packaging

Fast overnight service -- I didn't ask for it, didn't pay for it, but got it. I'm not promising the same for you, but with Rufus Lin Designs' emphasis on receiving the watch on a certain day, I believe that one of their main objectives is fast shipment.

Secure packaging. Someone definitely cared.

The lost art of service.

An extra touch for presentation: the watch case carefully wrapped in some kind of fiber sheet.

The watch presentation is simple. I think that's the point.

The nice thing about purchasing from a major authorized dealer (for US, Canada, or Japan, etc.) is the signed warranty card. (A previous, different watch was denied warranty service for its unsigned card.)

I don't know if the extra battery is included with the watch from manufacturer, but I have to believe, with the way it's taped onto the packaging, that Yasuhiro Matsumoto (or Emma) at Rufus Lin Designs included this extra battery.

Wrist Shots and Other Pictures

Watch diameter = 40mm
    Wrist size = 6.5 inches

Thoughts

I have owned watches of all kinds -- fashion and classics, simple and complicated, large and small. I've been wearing large watches (42mm and up), but they keep getting caught in my shirt sleeves and jackets. I don't mind this minor annoyance that much, really, but it's very nice to wear a watch that simply exists on your wrist, stays out of the way, but still eye-catching for its curious design.

The Uno 24 simply gives you a quick glimpse of where along the day you are, so that you can concentrate on other more important things... like living, playing, enjoying the significant other, good food, good wine, good friends, a good book, whatever you might be doing. Like just laying in the sun.

The steel on this Uno 24 is brushed -- not a lick of polish steel on it. It's unassuming, yet attentive. It's great for daily wear and a good beating. For a sleek watch that hugs the wrist like an old tattoo, it still looks tough and durable, like it can easily take a bang on the barbell or a scrape on the bricks. I guess you can say it appears elegantly tough.

Someone at the checkout line at Trader Joe's asked me what it is. I think the question wasn't so much as "what brand" but "what instrument." I told her the what and why, and she was fascinated. (For some reason, I think she was more fascinated with the philosophy it represents.)

The dial takes up just about the entire face of the watch, and the crystal is sapphire. It wears medium and elegant. I'm relieved that it's not part of the big-watch trend, and it seems to make no apologies for it.

The clean and straight-forward design is modernistic. It compliments my home. It compliments the art pieces I enjoy. It's uncluttered. I'm drawn to it.

It's not for everyone, but if you're a little curious, I recommend you check it out.

Best,
    Johnny
    Last edited by powerband; April 14th, 2010 at 07:42.
    Life is short. How sad to have realized in your death bed that you've worn a crappy watch as a "daily beater" for most of your days.

Re: Botta Uno 24 - Thoughts & Pics!

I like it a lot. I've seen it before and I am considering it for an analog 24hr watch. It looks nice.
    Tianjin Jun Shi 天津君士潛海計時儀器 Military Diver
    Orient オリエント時計
    Blue TT Diver 2ER00004D
    Sea-Gull 海鷗手錶 Chrono 1963 Chinese Air Force Re-issue
    Casio カシオ G-Shock Riseman Solar Multi-band 6 GW9200-1
    Casio カシオ G-Shock White Solar Multi-band 6 GWM850-7CR
    Yes Watch The Kundalini L102.4
    Yes Watch The Cozmo Symbol #K501
    Seiko セイコー Men's SS Silver Dial SGF459
    Seiko セイコー Military Chronograph SDWB63P

Haf

I like the idea of a single hand watch a lot, but I'm not so sure about the watch in question here. For me the color scheme is all wrong with that dull gray and yellow accents.

Some great single watches that come to my mind are Meistersinger, if I were in the market for a single hand watch I would go with Meistersinger because their designs appeal to me the most.

Wear it in good health and enjoy your watch, or should I say your time

Quote Originally Posted by Haf View Post
    I like the idea of a single hand watch a lot, but I'm not so sure about the watch in question here. For me the color scheme is all wrong with that dull gray and yellow accents.

Some great single watches that come to my mind are Meistersinger, if I were in the market for a single hand watch I would go with Meistersinger because their designs appeal to me the most.

Wear it in good health and enjoy your watch, or should I say your time
    Hi Haf,

Those reasons for which you dislike this watch are the reasons I like it! It's an anti-watch watch that combines untraditional color combination. It just doesn't look like a watch!

But, I must agree with you, the Meistersinger single hand watch is gorgeous. Price beyond my plans for now.

Best regards,
    Johnny
    Life is short. How sad to have realized in your death bed that you've worn a crappy watch as a "daily beater" for most of your days.

I like the clean lines and utilitarian look~Congrats!

Ozy

Beaht me to it!, I ordered one myself earlier today - Customer service from Yas at Rufus Lin was amazing...they'd sent me a quick email to see if my order was ok, as they'd seen me try and process yesterday, and stop just before Paypal.

Bought one of these for the same reasons as yourself.

Ordered and had the Fedex tracking number 10 minutes later.

Thanks for the read!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    Beaht me to it!, I ordered one myself earlier today - Customer service from Yas at Rufus Lin was amazing...they'd sent me a quick email to see if my order was ok, as they'd seen me try and process yesterday, and stop just before Paypal.

Bought one of these for the same reasons as yourself.

Ordered and had the Fedex tracking number 10 minutes later.

Thanks for the read!
    Ozy, I believe you will enjoy its simplicity.

Best,

I just received my Botta Uno 24 from Rufus Lin Designs. It came overnight by FedEx and was packed just like the one pictured. It even had the yellow fibre wrap on the box and the extra battery. The watch was even set to the correct local time and date. Amazing service! When I have saved more pennies, I'll buy from them again.

I have wanted this watch ever since I first saw it. The entire experience has lived up to my expectations.

Banned

Like the watch, but I couldn't bring myself to purchase from a company that sends Dear John letters.

Quote Originally Posted by powerband View Post

Sorry, I just can't resist a good set-up.
    RSDA, davidtsee and dbostedo like this.

It resets the benchmark for, cooool. Plus, I got mine in 22 hours after I hung up the phone!
    Last edited by Watchbreath; August 5th, 2010 at 06:16.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information