Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Brief history of waterproof watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brief history of waterproof watches

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Brief history of waterproof watches

I just have to say something....

[rant]
    Waterproof vs water-resistant.... both mean the same thing. Both should be qualified with a "proof" or "resistance" limit, i.e. "waterproof to 50 feet", and if unqualified, both imply unlimited ability. If some one said "this is water-resistant" (with no qualifier) it would imply that this thing can reject the entry of all water, without limit...

Other than English, the watch world tends to use "waterproof" as the default label for watches that can reject the entry of water...

French - étanche not "résistant ŕ l'eau"
    German - "wasserdicht" not "Wasser beständig"
    Russian - "водонепроницаемый" not "водостойкий"
    Japanese - 防水 not 耐水性 (or, ぼうすい not たいすい せい)
    [/rant]
    Nokie likes this.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    ... if unqualified, both imply unlimited ability. If some one said "this is water-resistant" (with no qualifier) it would imply that this thing can reject the entry of all water, without limit...
    I disagree. Things that are "resistant" are not the same as "proof". I have always taken something "resistant" to mean that it provides some resistance, but if it was permanent or complete it would be "-proof". I don't think it implies unlimited ability. That's why the "water resistant" term is always used with a depth, and watches are no longer labeled "water-proof" which would imply infinite depth (however unrealistic that is). Or for another example I've seen, something painted/treated and made "corrosion resistant" would not imply that it couldn't corrode. It would not be considered the same as "corrosion-proof".
    Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Poseidon Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Citizen B0000-04h, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle

Quote Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
    I disagree. Things that are "resistant" are not the same as "proof". I have always taken something "resistant" to mean that it provides some resistance, but if it was permanent or complete it would be "-proof". I don't think it implies unlimited ability. That's why the "water resistant" term is always used with a depth, and watches are no longer labeled "water-proof" which would imply infinite depth (however unrealistic that is). Or for another example I've seen, something painted/treated and made "corrosion resistant" would not imply that it couldn't corrode. It would not be considered the same as "corrosion-proof".
    I disagree. If you say water resistant by itself, then you would be correct. The minute you attach a number to it, like 50 meters, you have just guaranteed it's resistance to 50 meters. In essence you just stated that the watch is proof to 50 meters.

I thought,maybe wrong,that it was some U.S.regulation, many years ago, that required the
    wording of "Water Resistant" over "Water-proof"....The thinking was that nothing is truly water-proof if applied
    to a great depth/pressure or certain circumstances.
    Last edited by little big feather; April 27th, 2014 at 16:18.
    mikeylacroix likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Great article!

Water resistant and waterproof mean the same thing to us but not to laywers. If the watch were to say waterproof and somehow leaked the watch company would lose the law suit every time. If it says water resistant the would most likely win.

Very good article by the way. Just read it. There has been lots of these articles over the years, but this one is a bit different.

As for water proof. I think 10 hours across the english channel on a moving wrist kinda proves a point in 1927:

Nice reading and great pictures posted above.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

Inactive

Oof, eventually I gave up on the very stodgy prose

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    I disagree. If you say water resistant by itself, then you would be correct. The minute you attach a number to it, like 50 meters, you have just guaranteed it's resistance to 50 meters. In essence you just stated that the watch is proof to 50 meters.
    Way back when the rule was implemented it was common for watches to be labeled Waterproof with no qualification. Little Timex watches were sold as meeting that and other mpossible standards. Thus it was necessary to rein everybody in.
    Last edited by John MS; April 27th, 2014 at 23:51.
    little big feather likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information